Posted: Sep 8th 2009 9:47AM (Unverified) said

I'm so glad I just recently came back to this game (the free weekend ensnared me, and now I am a paying subscriber again). This game is so great on many different levels - and I can't help but think of them as I explore moria. I've been around the block, so to say, and have tried just about every major MMO, and this game continues to be a standout for a few reasons:

1. Epic feel. There have been moments where my jaw literally drops at the artwork and design of moria - I've had several times where I've yelled to my wife, "Come here look at this room!". The areas are beautiful, and the graphics engine is excellent.
2. Quests - as most people know, the quests are excellent, as is the story line. I love the voiceovers you get at most instances, as do I love the cut-scenes you get to "unlock" as you do the epic quests. I also love the instances in this game. It's so great when you come across a new instance, especially ones like where you get to play a Dwarf right before the fall of moria, and get to re-live the first encounter with the Balrog that they awoke!
3. Community - most people are just straight up good people that love Tolkien and this game. *standard disclaimer applies here, of course there's always going to be the idiots as well.

There are many more reasons why I'm very happy I came back, but those are the top three.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 9:59AM Pingles said

Ugh, now I am starting to wonder why I quit that MMO. I find myself wanting to explore Bree again!

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 10:04AM Deryk said

Wow, this sounds terrific! That's great that they're even putting in some skirmishes in the older Eriador areas.

And horses just sound wonderful now. All the things we've been asking for a very long time are coming true concerning horses. And no wonder with the Fellowship getting ever-closer to Rohan.

Cheers Turbine and thanks for the great article Massively!

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 10:16AM agitatedandroid said

• Half a heart
A better horse mechanic. 20$ well spent.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 11:46AM JaySpeed said

• 1 heart
Because that's all you get for $20.

/Eyeroll

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 10:22AM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
"The first time you summon your horse after getting Siege of Mirkwood, the game will prompt you to turn it into a skill. No longer will mounts take up inventory space"

Wow wonder how they got that idea?! So you got to buy the expansion to get this horse upgrade wow I am so happy I play much better mmo! ;)

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 11:22AM (Unverified) said

As with MoM, certain parts of the new expansion will be available to all players. I'm pretty sure that the new tech surrounding horses will be one of these techs (as will the improvements to the combat system). In short, everything related to content will be exclusive to those that buy the expansion, whereas improvements to existing game systems are free of charge.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 8:17PM (Unverified) said

You sir, are an idiot. :)

Ever thought that basic system changes are available for everyone through normal patching process and will not require buying an expansion? Same happened with Moria, players who havent bought expansion couldn't enter new area, but all changes in UI and gameplay affected them as well.

Posted: Sep 10th 2009 12:24AM RogueJedi86 said

Could we get Jack banned already? Every other post he makes, especially in TOR or LotRO topics, is just him trolling about how the game is inferior to WoW. I've seen this very frequently lately, with every post of his being downrated into grey, so I don't think anyone else would mind.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 10:37AM CCon99 said

Love this game! Can't wait for this and then eventually Rohan!

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 11:46AM (Unverified) said

I must admit, I was one of the skeptics that were a little annoyed Turbine was going to make us pay for such a small expansion, but the release of these details really changes things.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 11:41AM Jesspiper said

Any word on if our current legendaries will level with us????

Soooooo important!!

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 12:32PM (Unverified) said

Well the bullet pointed that they raised the legendary level cap, so why would they not level up with us?

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 2:25PM JaySpeed said

There will probably be LI's for lvl 65 players so you can get higher DPS. You'll probably have to lvl them to 60. It'll be a pain finding new items that have the legacies I want but I'll get a ton of item exp from breaking down my old 2nd Age items plus I'll do a week of bounty quests to get the new items capped quickly.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 2:25PM Jesspiper said

I hope you're right!

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 3:18PM (Unverified) said

those new LI xp bounties are great...

Posted: Sep 9th 2009 3:54AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Your existing 1st ages will be decon material just like the 3rd and 2nds will be. The raised cap comes with the new level 65 weapons. Your existing radiant armour is also going to be 5 levels underpowered.

Gear wipe should be expected when the level cap is raised. There is no way past that.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 12:16PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Take half the programmers that work on this game and put them to work on modernizing Asheron Call's graphics. Please and thank you. I miss that game, I just cant play with the lego graphics anymore :(

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 1:14PM Mr Angry said

2 books worth of content plus a few extra new features =/= $20, especially when Turbine promises free content updates. It's not been delivering on that promise.

I don't get all these positive posts, surely as consumers, we want value, and the value proposition was that book updates are regular and free? Now folks don't care that the book update frequency and quality has stalled (this is not disputed by many current subscribers), and you have to pay for further updates to the game?

While it's nice they are doing stuff with LoTRO, it did used to be free, I regard issues like shared bank space and horse storage as core features, not something to market an xpac with. I hate to draw comparisons, but

I look forward to some of the new mechanics, but I feel they are changing hte game into a guild wars type mechanic, and I didn't really want to play a 'pet class', I've got real people who can fill that role in my guild.

I just dunno about LoTRO, looks as if it's going a different direction to what I was hoping and whoever has the creative reigns, isn't doing such a great job on the basics of keeping the feel of the MMO homogenized, rather than 'sub-gamey'

So I dispute the last comment (which smacks of a bit of impartiality Massively, yes we know you like Turbine), it might be a fair price, if however they hadn't already promised a steady content when people signed up for things like lifetime subscriptions.

Posted: Sep 8th 2009 2:25PM JaySpeed said

Nothing was ever promised. The plan was to have four free content updates and a paid expansion every year. Turbine hit a rough patch this year though with the massive stability issues they had with the servers back in the spring. That caused them to change their schedule. They have still released 9 free updates and 1 paid expansion 2 1/2 years the game has been available.

First Impressions: LEGO Minifigures Online