Posted: Sep 4th 2009 7:16PM Graill440 said

To bad the lore in LOTR was ripped apart. The loss, the combat with the evil races, non existant. Who is in charge of the game anyway? Monster play is dead and gone, conflict that was a central part of the lore in books doesnt exist at all. PVE is a huge joke and belittles the very idea and point of LOTR.

Sad to see such a visually stunning game in a niche role subscription wise.

I even pop in from time to time to look around the ettens as i made the mistake of getting a lifetime sub, not knowing the idiots in charge would decimate the game so.

Posted: Sep 6th 2009 6:40PM (Unverified) said

Having also played LOTRO since its Shadow of Angmar days I am also feeling quite bitter about this so-called 'expansion'. For people who have been playing already they will immediately see through this as a money-squeezing exercise from a company who just couldn't deliver their promise of 4 free content updates a year plus an expansion.

I won't be buying this.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 1:44PM spamero said

LOTRO is a great game, and no doubt it has one of the best, if not the best, community around... but I really can't stand the clumsy combat for more then 2 months...

Being punished for fast reactions to the changing surroundings is not my piece of cake.. and sadly this is how combat feels with its low-responsive skill queue system ...

How do you guys go around this? Cause I really would like to go back to LOTRO.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:20PM (Unverified) said

One of the developers recently mentioned that this is part of the intention with this new combat change. They want to reduce the effects autoattacks have on the combat cycle to speed things up.

If this is the case, you should consider giving the game another go after this hits.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:27PM JaySpeed said

Dev post about the combat responsiveness tweak.

"Autoattacks will not delay firing a skill. What this does mean is that animation have a chance to preempt autoattack anims in such a way as to produce a pop in the anim transition that isn't there right now."

Posted: Sep 5th 2009 12:20PM spamero said

that's a good news there, ww2jacob !

txhx, I will definitely give it a go after the change

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 1:54PM Snow Leopard said

This has been bothering me for some time now.

What happens to this game when the ring finally gets destroyed?

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 4:54PM Jesspiper said

In short, Turbine will make shit up.

That's why once the Ring is destroyed and I have been able to participate in the legendary War of the Ring, I will retire my Dwarf.

After the Ring is destroyed LOTRO will just become a standard fantasy MMO.

Posted: Sep 5th 2009 6:59AM (Unverified) said

I just guessing here..

Housing, crafting, and hobbies will experience a huge upgrade.

The new king will be asking us to do some mop up work around the kingdom. Kill 10 lv. 90 wild boars ftw!

PvMP will finally get their first and last new map.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 1:55PM (Unverified) said

I have such mixed feelings. I wanted this and still do. Just this week I started a 10-day Lich King trial account (after over 2.5 years away from the game) because I am so bored in Moria. Too many shallow LOTRO features: Crafting, housing, hobbies, and options for various play styles other than radiance tedium. Did I mention crafting? I really love LOTRO but am in the moving-on process. I wonder if this will get me back.

Personally, I am unclear about whether this is free or paid but it certainly does seem like a paid expansion.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 1:59PM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
The real name of the next expansion is the LOTRO: The quest for more money....

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:09PM Lateris said

I thought Mirkwood was going to be free content this year ands Riders of Rohan was going to be the expansion? Oh well. I really enjoyed the MoM. The map is huge. It equals 35% of the land mass underground for LOTRO.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:16PM Tom in VA said

This is from the LotRO page:

"Jump into the heat of battle with the new Skirmishes feature. Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow."

What's really needed in LotRO are "customizable soldiers" that are willing to help you with the rest of the game -- the many group quests, group epic quests, and instances in the sparsely populated lower-level regions of this game where you cannot find a group to save your life.

In my opinion, Turbine really needs to retool levels 1 to 50 to make them more solo-accessible for the (very few) poor sods trying to level their way up to Moria. *That* is something that would bring me back to this game.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:25PM JaySpeed said

They've been doing this over the last year. Ered Luin, Bree, and the Shire have already been revamped. The Lone Lands is the next area being revamped then they are doing North Downs, Trollshaws, and Misty Mountains. You can currently level from 1-60 completely solo if you want.

Posted: Sep 5th 2009 2:29AM (Unverified) said

The have! I was amazed myself but when my partner took over my account and started to level a law master I was amazed.

That endless sea of group quests gone, replaced with something a lot more plausible. I wish they'd done it sooner but it's great now. The last big patch fixed it all I think.

At least levels 1-28 is fine, I know that much.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 2:46PM (Unverified) said

It sounds to me like the skirmish system is a precursor to what is going to be required for the Rohan area (Helms Deep in particular) and future large-scale battles.

Perhaps the next addition will be a variation of the exp gaining legendary weapons, something like a unit or army that you can gain exp and modify and use in instances along with other people's armies?

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 3:45PM (Unverified) said

Guys, you all need to relax and stop jumping to conclusions. Massively makes no claims as to whether or not this is a paid expansion. Kotaku ran an article about it the expansion today citing it as being FREE.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 3:51PM GreenArmadillo said

"The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood will be available as a digital download this Fall. Details regarding Siege of Mirkwood’s pricing and availability will be unveiled soon."

- http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/459-the-lord-of-the-rings-online-siege-of-mirkwood

Though technically "free" is a price, I think you'd be hyping the number 0 a lot more strongly if that was the number you were using. More likely, Turbine made a deliberately ambiguous statement, like they do, and Kotaku took it to mean free.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 4:05PM JaySpeed said

Read this for more info. Sounds good so far. People are getting upset but have to realize that not all the info has been released yet. They just put out a press release with some highlighted bullet point features. The price is confirmed to be $19.99.

Posted: Sep 4th 2009 5:16PM jardude said

Other media outlets are reporting that this is a free expansion. Just thought I would let you all know.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story