Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 9:50AM (Unverified) said

Was an early starter and my characters fine. Hes not plowing through enemies with ease now and I'm actually having to actually try on missions now and team up at times. Which is fantastic I'm after a multiplayer experiance after all. I have batman for my single player fix.

I think the bitching right now is a bit over the top. I'm sure some moves need balancing and tweaking some more you can't expect them to get it perfect. It's an ever changing world you've gotta take the good with the bad.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 9:56AM arnavdesai said

I actually got into the Head Start and there was for sure a lot of difference before and after the patch. However, it was not impossible to solo, at least for my character. I played around with Force powers and it actually interesting how the AI differs as you level up. Earlier goons used to swarm me and I could just spam my AoE attack. However later level goons would run away as I charged my AoE attack to just outside its radius. With the 'nerf' I need to pull my guys but the range of powers on both sides is so large and enemies clumped quiet a lot, its really hard to do it if not impossible. Invariably you end up aggroing another group.
One more issue I found was that I am constantly running out of missions and quests at my level without leveling up. I was stuck in 18 & 19 for a long long time & did quests 2 levels higher (with a lot of dying of course) just so that I could continue moving ahead. I dont know if this true for everyone but I did a majority of my quests in the desert and the city and then when I went to Canadian wilderness, the NPCs would not give me the low level quests anymore making me miss out on some much needed XP (at least at those levels). I have only hit 20 so far and I am pretty much done with almost all desert quests(upto level 21) & I have so many items which I cannot equip that its not even funny.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 10:04AM (Unverified) said

I agree with the article! Champions Online is an amazing game so far, and I'm having so much fun. OMG the powerstation is sooo addictive, I can spend hours in there testing out all the different powers and just being creative.

I'm loving the new patch! The added difficulty is so much funner and I won't be getting bored any time soon....

Now back to my hero...

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 10:09AM JaySpeed said

Not to go off topic but LOTRO also had an incredibly smooth launch. I think as time passes more and more companies are learning from past mistakes.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 10:24AM Orekri said

i played through the whole OP and headstart, and I was also hit with the "nerfgun" and really I like it better. I have 5 friends playing and none of them are really having any crippling issues, although one would like to get rid of the most recent power, but it is crazy expensive (a whole different issue they are working on). Personally I adore the new added difficulty. In OB and Headstart combined I only died twice the whole time I played, and after playing with the patches last night I died at least 3 times, which is awesome.

I love having to think "will this get me killed" when i walk into a fight, and many times I still plow through enemies, I just have to do it faster and with more consideration for my health bar. I love it.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 11:53AM Celestian said

I am repeating this from another post but would batman see 6 thugs and say "Hum, I better wait for backup, these 6 henchmen look tough!" No we wouldn't have. Robin, yeah, he'd wait for batman. Guess we're relegated to sidekick status.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 12:23PM Aganazer said

I think Batman would first have to consider what level they were.

Even my support character can take on 5 even con henchman without any issues. The same character was STILL able to complete two player missions. The patch difficulty is fine.

There are still a few encounters here and there that could use some tweaking, but for the most part its not overly difficult. Challenging, yes, but that is what we want in a game.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 12:26PM (Unverified) said

The Darknight Dreadnought himself does rather tend to rely on stealth and surprise, as tackling a group of prepared and well-armed henchmen toe-to-toe could easily turn him into The Batstain pretty quickly.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 1:45PM Celestian said

That's great, if you got "stealth and suprise" which the game has neither and auto-attacks you if the mobs are linked.

Do we all need CC and heals now too?

Seriously, we're sidekicks.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 11:02AM (Unverified) said

I just hope a fix is incoming for my Gadget man's pets.

How many times do they sit there doing F**k all when I am on the verge of dying, lost count how many times I have screamed at them to heal me.

Give us a decent pet UI, allow my munition bots to teleport in and out rather than me having to respawn them, every time I travel from A-B.

Oh I long for the day when I dont have to shout "Stop shouting the F*!ing boxes and shoot this villian who is opening a can of whoopass on me!"

Still a great overall, just a few teething problems I am sure.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 1:32PM Chriskovo said

Im sorry if i was playing for 2 or 3 days already and got up to around lvl 15 and then had everything be nerfed, with no free respec i would be pissed too. You dont just do this to people im sorry espeically when they are paying for the game. I am glad I stayed clear of this game, otherwise i would be demanding my money back at this point.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 11:51AM Celestian said

I enjoy the game but the changes were to much. None of my "tank" characters can do much at all anymore. I die 4-5 times as much as I used to and it just gets frustrating.

For now I just do ranged dps like everyone else until they decide to fix the badly designed patch.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 12:29PM Aganazer said

What powers do you have?

I was reading earlier about a Might character with STR/CON that was having problems. After digging into the issue, it turns out they totally gimped their character by taking Personal Force Field which scales based on END/EGO and were not using very good tactics in combat. Essentially they were using AOE's on single targets and would get bogged down trying to kill the two bar villain before the henchman.

There is nothing wrong with having to reroll because of mistakes you made in your character design. We are all still learning the ropes with this game. I've also been surprised at how much a simple change of tactics can make.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 12:40PM (Unverified) said

@Aganazer I think the problem is that before the patch it was hard -to- die, and so people never bothered to think about a fight before they randomly jumped 2+ groups of bad guys.

My Might/Invulnerability character is still tough, and hasn't died yet.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 1:38PM Celestian said

I am might, I didn't take invul I took defiance, you know the defensive passive in the might tree.

Invul is better, I know this now and unfortunately can't respec out of it because of the ridiculously overpriced retcon pricing. So either I re-roll to get back some semblance of the tanking I had at which point the badly designed patch 2 will hit.

The problem is they nerfed item defense by 50%, boosted henchmen damage by 2+ times and then nerfed the "tanks" defensive abilities 10%+ (that includes invul).

I feel more like a sidekick than a hero. Get more than 3 mobs and it's a wipe, get 3 and it's 50/50.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 2:08PM Aganazer said

You might want to give it another shot. They just gave your head start characters a free respec.

My might character with defiance has been doing fine, but I might take Invuln in the respec just because it will stack with the defiance given from Defensive Combo.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 1:31PM Nibbana said

Free respec for Head Start customers. Now please, less crying, more heroism.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 2:05PM Aganazer said

Yay! Here is a link to the official announcement of the free respec for all head start characters.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 2:04PM (Unverified) said

Tech wise it was very smooth, the game was stable had no queue to log in. Game has great graphics runs well, from a tech level it's all superb.

But the patch was frankly a seriously poor decision by Cryptic. I have no idea why in 2009 a company would think it would be wise to buff mob's, nerf player defensive and offensive abilities, nerf many different player damage powers, as well as up respec costs to the point of being impossible to anyone with a job.

I'm not questioning that balance changes needed to be made, but they tossed the game on it's head. Champions for the 3 day headstart was a much different play experience. Now it would be different if they had given respecs or even just made them affordable so at least people wouldn't be stuck. But they haven't as of yet and people on forums and in game are arguing pro and con about it.

As someone thats been thru alot of MMO launches I have to say I haven't seen angst hit forums this fast in a MMO after launch. AOC's forums took 2 weeks to get to where Champions is on day 3.

I'm hoping that as I log in now that the respec will have gone thru and maybe it will calm down. It's a good game all it's problems are human PR errors for the most part.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2009 2:40PM Celestian said

It's unfortunate we gotta take a defensive talent outside of our "tree" to tank but oh well. Hopefully it's not nerfed too.

Looking forward to the respec.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014