Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:09AM Seth78 said

I foresee Blizzard going down the same path as SOE did with EQ and SWG. Blizzard won't look to poach from their own cash cow, so the new game will not be similar to WoW in any way, much like EQ and the original SWG were completely different. And I think the game will most likely fall flat.

Then again, I could be wrong :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:35AM DarthCheese said

• 1 heart
It's gonna be a Starcraft: Ghost MMO! :D

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:22AM (Unverified) said

It's not going to be designed to replace WoW, but fill a different niche.

Jeff Kaplan, who's designing it, says he thinks one of the big mistakes they made with WoW was the proliferation of abilities, and that if he had it to do over again, he'd limit the number of abilities you could use at once.

I also expect a stronger focus on PvP systems and balance, given Blizz's success with Starcraft. I suspect the game will be built from day one to have a PvP focus.

But hell if any of us know.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:52AM SgtBaker said

Considering it's Kaplan who has never had a single original design idea (he's just happened to be in the same EQ-guild with people who had ideas) - it's probably going to be gear-progression based instance grind, disguised in whatever sells.

But hey, maybe he'll prove me wrong :-)

Posted: Sep 2nd 2009 1:09AM (Unverified) said

>"That sounds like a Guild Wars-style system of building a deck of 8-10 abilities and then adventuring with them."

Which also was used previously in EQ1; a mold which he seems to be incapable of breaking out of.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:16AM hami83 said

I'm assuming it's going to be a PvP oriented Sci-fi game, leaving WoW for the PvE people, since everyone knows their PvP system in WoW is pathetically weak, there is definitely room to make a game that focuses on that market.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:31AM postman said

that's my guess too, the market needs more sci-fi based games right now very badly and the pvp based MMO niche is growing from what I can see. I hate dwarfs.......and even though i don't play WoW I am excited to see what kind of rabbit Blizzard can pull out of their hat. Should be interesting to say the least. I am still hopeful the THQ doesn't completely destroy the WAR40K MMO, but that's a few years out anyways.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:22AM Thac0 said

Blizzard is making a Quake Wars MMO? I dont get it.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 12:17PM (Unverified) said

Oh my Strogg, _that's_ why the Alliance loses Southshore in Cataclysm.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 7:44PM TheJackman said

Not be in shock but the horde lost crossroads :P

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:26AM (Unverified) said

World of Reality, where players can create a virtual charater who sits in front of a virtual computer, logs into Battle Net, and can play any of Blizzard's titles. You avatar can emote things such as moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard, screaming in frustration, and blaming any mistakes on virtual lag.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:40AM DarthCheese said

World Of World Of Warcraft! :D

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 2:22PM StormEagle said

I thought he got the from somewhere.....

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:31AM xenothaulus said

I would love to see a survival-horror mmo done right, set in a gothic fantasy world a la Diablo or maybe "present"-day. Just avoid the ludicrous futuristic weapons from Hellgate: London (along with everything else they screwed up). Maybe Blizzavision could get rights to Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.

Posted: Sep 2nd 2009 3:31PM (Unverified) said

Call of Cthulhu Online! (aka CoCo!)

I'm there, baby.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:36AM Mr Angry said

I think I uncovered something at Blizzcon recently and I can say it's a huge scale FPS type game, nothing more :)

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:50AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Starcraft MMORPG - one can only hope

Loot + skills = awesome spaceships.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:44AM pcgneurotic said

I'm guessing either outright sci-fi, or some sort of modern-day or near-future gig.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 12:02PM Tom in VA said

I'd love to see a time/space-travel MMO. Each time you accomplish your goals in a particular era, leveling from say, 1 to 20, you'd move on to a new era (chosen randomly), but essentially you'd "start over" level-wise, skill-wise, and gear-wise. Something like the old shows "Sliders" or "The Time Tunnel", I guess.

I think it'd be fun to go from being a gunslinger in the Old West to a Viking to part of the Mongol horde to the future or whatever -- but maybe that's partly because I am such a history buff. I'm probably also influenced by the fact that I love the starting and leveling up parts of most MMOs but hate the end-game grind. ;)

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 12:08PM Wisdomandlore said

Assuming this comes out in the next 3-4 years, a Starcraft MMO would be too much Starcraft, IMO. Three games plus an MMO? No thanks. I think Blizzard will finally develop a new IP (i.e. not WC, SC, or Diablo). It will be extremely polished but highly-derivative in terms of lore and game design. Possibly an FPS, since that's the big, untapped MMO market.Possibly something with zombies.