Posted: Sep 1st 2009 10:45AM Pingles said

A favor: Please talk me out of playing this game. I am trying to give up MMOs.

So for any long-time DDO players: Why SHOULDN'T I play DDO?

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 11:35AM Mr Angry said

You can play this in isolated chunks, it's not a great game to spend hour upon hours grinding it out, it's a lot more laid back, and social.

I can't talk you out of this I'm afraid. Also it's free (or free to start is more accurate I feel), free is good, right?

If you are trying to give up MMO's this is your Methadone! It's going to ween you off slowly, turning the hardcore must play at all costs into something a bit more casual, a lot more social, and something you can come back to once in a while.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 1:15PM Firebreak said

I have to agree with Mr Angry, only to add I think it is a great game with a good small group or in small doses by yourself with the pugs.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 1:41PM (Unverified) said

I must add that this "free" game is not entirely free. Once you get to a certain point, the free areas become to wear thin fast where you're almost forced to spend money in some way if you want to keep on playing (spending ddo cash points in some dungeon, instance, etc). I came across this in beta and came to the conclusion that, although a awesome deal at first, when you get to the choke points (where your free areas become few to none), the game becomes extremely boring. If you truly want to play this game free of cost, not spending a single dolar in it, you must grind your way through some quests and boring dungeons over and over and over again, with running seldomly into something "new" and, if lucky, free of charge.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 2:45PM (Unverified) said

Don't forget you earn Turbine Points, which cost $, for playing the game. The higher difficulty of quest you've done x number of quests you've done + number of "story specific" quests = quite some Turbine Points.

So if you insist on playing for free, that's possible. Especially when you unlock more character slots. You can earn TP, then delete character, earn again, etc.

Though I'm happy to spend small amount of money when I won't. That's the opposite of paying for next month, even if you won't be able to play at all.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 2:38PM (Unverified) said

I completely understand your beef, however, I also completely understand the business backing these chokes, and think it's perfectly legitimate, especially considering the games quality.

Open question, how much does an adventure pack of outdoor area and dungeons cost on average?

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM