Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:21AM Darkstryke said

Although the content teams are separate from the infrastructure and design teams, they really should stop wasting company wide resources on these gimmicks and fix the underlying problems that have caused WAR to be relegated to the value bin.

After an entire YEAR, we still have:
- A game client engine that performs poorly
- A netcode base and network infrastructure that functions like something from 1996
- Too many currently active realms which spreads an already tiny population even thinner
- Poor content design that can't decide if it's a pvp game or a wannabe pve game. Pick one to focus on, or continue to be mediocre at both.

It's scathing, but we see all the major problems continuously brushed under the rug at all these sites.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:24AM (Unverified) said

I feel sorry for them trying to generate excitement when there is none, it's hard to kill one of the most Bad-ass IP's out there yet mythic managed to do it somehow.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:39AM (Unverified) said

Oi vey. Darkstryke is right. It's time to shift teams around and focus 100% on improvement.

While their conent team sure can pump it out, it's to bad it's followed by a design, infrastructure and QA that isn't good at all.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:49AM Triskelion said

Okay, I need to come clean - I have been bashing Paul Barnett relentlessly on this blog. I've called him every name in the book and attributed the failure of WAR directly on his shoulders. Which may or may not still be true but...........

I met Paul Barnett at Blizzcon recently (I'm not sure why he was there), we chatted up for a little bit. The guy was so cool and down to earth, I cannot help but be a fan of his now. I told him that I used to play WAR, then I smiled, he knew what I meant.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:55AM Holgranth said

I really hope hes not LF a job at Blizzard....... and I'm sure a lot of horrible game designers are really nice people when you meet them.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:43PM TheJackman said

Remember the times when Paul Barnett say he did never ever play World of Warcraft after he ref it in many of his marketing talks.... Now he become a blizzard fan like that much be the only reason he is there.... remember tickets did sold out in mins! He much have planned to really go, He also may want a job on Blizzard like look like EA really will need someone to Blame for this WAR stuff and he is the more likey person at the moment! And he knows it!

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 10:51AM Holgranth said

Cool, I'm sure the in game party will be a huge soother for all the people that lost their WAR releated jobs because of lack of funds......

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 11:45AM mode7overworld said

Don't understand any of the hate for this game. I bought it in January to play with a friend and was very pleasantly surprised by it. I eventually had to unsubscribe for reasons not related to the quality of the game, but during my time away I found myself missing it.

I resubbed last week and it's still just as fun as I remember.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 11:57AM (Unverified) said

Could you tell us what level your max charcter is?
How active you are in game (hours per week)?
What server and realm are playing on?

Everyone's experience is different. Mine was being a semi-hardcore player that got frustrated w/ all the problems (that have been listed over and over) and decided their shortcomings aren't worth my $15.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:24PM (Unverified) said

I didn't understand the hate either, when I first started playing. The first week, week and a half of consistent play was awesome. The I started getting into T2 and seeing more and more of the bugs and exploits, the stability issues and the class/faction imbalances.

Mythic has a LOT to do to fix this game if they expect it to survive. They have so many people wanting them to succeed, yet they appear to be deaf to our voices. It's very frustrating.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Much of the hate here in the Massively comments is just irrational screaming from people who like to scream and complain. WAR is like just about every other MMO out there. It has some wonderful features. It has some flawed ones. One of the better, more objective reviews of WAR is Massively's diary for Brooke's return to WAR. It chronicles Brooke reactivating a WAR account and playing the game (as it is now) over a period of time. Here's a link to the latest entry: http://www.massively.com/2009/08/27/snafzg-returns-to-war-week-three-tearing-up-tier-four/

For my experience, I played WAR from beta up until four months ago. I terminated my subscription because we are in a recession, and I cannot afford to play subscription-based games. I enjoyed the game very much, and found it much better (overall) than games likes WOW (classes are still broken after years in production), City of Heroes (old, outdated MMO design), and Star Wars (total crap from the beginning).

Lots of people dislike WAR because they wanted it to be Dark Age of Camelot 2. Others thought it was WOW, but for hardcore players. Others a PVP game. Others a PVE game. Others a game for fans of Games Workshop stuff.

In the end, it is a fine game that does not deliver on everything everyone wants. And because of that, it "sucks."

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:29PM Sethisto said

They don't get it... If you release a game with a terrible engine like WAR expecting to bring the WoW crowd who have run around at 60 fps for 4 years, it's not happening.

I didn't know anyone that could run WAR fine, and most of us have computers that blow even the best games on max settings out of the water.

The game just felt clunky, and in beta. Bugs everywhere. It took them a month to fix my bright wizards root vs pve mobs. They had a graphic of still running at me even though they were rooted clientwise 10 feet away. That's not something you release with.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:47PM Triskelion said

Yeah, I was on a line at Starbucks and he walked right by, I said "hey, Blizzard let you come here?". He walked over to me, laughed, shook my hand and we just started chatting. I doubt he needs to go to Blizzcon to look for a job.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:49PM Jesspiper said

Waving shiny things in front of our faces will not be enough to bring most of us back to play Dark Age of WarcraftHammer, when the points that DarkStryke and Stormdragon brought up ring true.

The MMORPG community is absolutely desperate for a solid faction/realm PvP game. DESPERATE. Mythic had that chance given to them on a silver platter: they had the last greatest faction PvP game and now had the most archtypical and influential high fantasy IP available, next to Tolkien's works of course.

And they f-ing botched it.

Next up? Aion and SWTOR. They are the next contenders for the faction/realm PvP game that this genre needs so badly. Otherwise we're left with NSYNC Online's Hord Versus Alliance, or the LOTRO Ettenmoors, both of which are just undersupported, tacked-on realmPvP systems based on the twitching corpse that is DAoC.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 12:56PM (Unverified) said

I played WAR at launch for a month, and probably still would be if it wasn't for a combination of them not liking my bank cards and someone I used to work tempted me to have a go at the lich king.... I think I was one of the few people who liked the down played colours and graphics. No more bugs bunny cartoon effects I thought.

I mean it seemed unfinished back then, half a game really, but I never thought it would generate the hate it does, even if it is a PvP game :P I honestly thought when I walked away from it that I'd play lich king for a few months (Turned out it only had a month or so lifespan for me) and go back to WAR when they had finished it, put in decent crafting and so on.

Normally I try and keep an open mind, and wouldn't mind trying again, but it's those tales of unfixed bugs and exploits.. and there sure is a lot of them told in a lot of places in graphic details.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 2:39PM (Unverified) said

I'm probably not the best judge, as I'm only in T2 right now, but I haven't seen any gamebreaking bugs in the past couple of week's I've been playing. No more crashes to desktop, no more lag in Keeps...sure, I have a beefy computer (now running Windows 7), but it's the same computer that I bought specifically to play WAR a year ago.

People complain a lot about class imbalance, much of that can be contributed to two facts:

1) People look at balance on a 1v1 scale. Mdps can't kill a healer 1v1? Maybe you aren't supposed to, but attacking me means i have to bother healing myself and attacking you back, not healing my group (who most certainly will die without my heals). It's all about team balance, not individual.

2) People don't use logic or strategy in RvR. Just because you managed to break down the keep door doesn't mean you can just run right into the Lord's room and declare victory. Work on destroying the opposing players, guard the Postern so they can't come back in...then carefully pull the Lord. I can't tell you how many Keep wipes we've had because people just Leeroy Jenkins right into the fray...then they blame imbalance of defense vs offense.

So far the biggest gripe I have is that there is still not enough population for the size of the land. I usually log in to find someone is either taking or defending a keep, which is great...but there's 6 keeps in Tier 2. If they merged more servers (and made sure the servers could handle the population) things would be really awesome. It can't be *that* difficult to do, and it would make things very much more WAR-like.

Posted: Sep 1st 2009 12:28AM (Unverified) said

I don't get the hate either. I've been playing on and off for a year, and still really enjoy this game. It's my favorite MMO ever, simply because I like the PvP and love the art. While it still has lots of room for improvement, WAR delivers what I'm looking for.

I see the occasional bug. Exploits I rarely ever see. A couple of classes need a boost. Performance is great on my good PC. I have no real problems with this game, and it's really the only MMO I'm at all interested in, at least until I can check out GW2.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 3:38PM yavo said

i enjoyed this game and would gladly come try it out again, IF they would give me a "10 day free trial" on MY account. I want to see endgame changes, let me log on my account for 10 days like when LOTRO turns all their accouts on and says "everyone come chk us out", turn 'em off in 10 days if we haven't reactivated, but honestly what am i gonna really see in 10 days starting with a lvl 1 scrub

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 4:37PM (Unverified) said

The real problem with most of these MMORPG fantasy games isn't the bugs, though WHO has a lot of them. It is the whole combat model they are using.

Ranged attacks are imbalanced. In real life (or at least in medieval times), most ranged attacks, like an arrow or a cannon, would miss their targets. But in the games, they hit by default unless blocked, absorbed, etc. The ranged attacks are far too accurate. So melee classes are at a huge disadvantage. In the 2-5 seconds it takes to close the distance to a ranged class, the melee is most likely nuked down and killed. If there was a game where ranged attacks were less accurate, you could see some interesting tactics develop. Melee might actually be useful.

For instance, in WHO, classes like Bright Wizards, Engineers, and Squig Herders, played well, can own everything in site simply with ranged attacks and kiting. It is the WoW hunter all over again.

Also, game engines like D&D limit the number of times casters can cast a particular spell before a recharge, but not so WoW or WHO. Casters can spam magic fireballs of doom all night long.

Add in all the silly area of effect damage that magically only hits those on the opposing force, and you have a recipe for dullness and imbalance in the basic combat engine.

Also, characters in full armor can run as fast as lightly armored rogues and wizards. Some characters, like the WoW warrior, have charge abilities where they can run at sprinting speeds while in full suits of armor. Does this make any sense at all?

No wonder the combat in these games is so dull. Sure, these games aren't made to be realistic combat simulators, but a little bit of realism would make it more interesting and tactical. Heavily armored warriors should not be able to sprint, but they can take and deal a lot of damage. Rogues and wizards should be more nimble, but they can't absorb or deflect nearly as much damage.

I also think it would be interesting if area of effect damage hit everyone, not just those on the opposing team, like the blizzard spell in WC3. It would then have to be used tactically. Using AOE attacks on a huge, mixed group of players is just stupid. The Bright Wizard can spew all this fire around that magically only hits those on the other team. I mean, it is just damn silly.

Posted: Aug 31st 2009 4:46PM (Unverified) said

I respectfully disagree that the problem is lack of tactics in RvR.

A group of engineers, bright wizards, and a couple healers can own everything in site, especially in a keep siege. How fun is this for the rest of the players that don't choose to play The Nuker of the Month? I have read that a disproportionate number of RR80 characters in WHO are Bright Wizards, much higher than the 1/12 you would naively suppose from the number of classes in the game. Evidently, the class is terribly imbalanced, yet Mythic doesn't do too much about it. They don't want to lose any more subscribers, especially hardcore ones.

Fireballs and arrows that magically distinguish between friend and foe, and with the accuracy of cruise missiles, does not make an enjoyable game for those who don't play the classes that use these mechanics. This is a fantasy era game, yet magical and ranged attacks have the accuracy of sniper rifles. Does this make any sense? No, it does not.

A good model of dueling would be an interesting contrast. Parrying, blocking, deflecting (armor), dodging, stances, fighting styles, etc. are interesting mechanics that I would like to see explored in more depth by MMOs.

I'd also like to see a better wound model than a health bar, where one could go on fighting when wounded but there would be penalties. Head injuries effect intelligence, leg wounds hit move speed, wounded arm means you can't use the item on it, etc. Running around at full speed with 1% health is another thing that just sort of doesn't make much sense at all.

Most of these mechanics were developed for PvE games like Everquest. I don't think it translates all that well to PvP, but it has become the default because its easy to do.

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM