Posted: Aug 29th 2009 4:31PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Ok, I don't understand this game. Someone explain to me... Is the concept here that I would be able to choose whatever DC comic hero I wanted to play as, and go from there?

If that's the case, what's the point? I fail to see the thrill of standing beside 50 other Batmen, 100 Supermen, and 150 Wonder Women? Of course the DC character stables are far more expansive than just those three, but seriously, you get my point, right?

How original is it going to feel when you run into ANOTHER FLASH GORDON at the local super market?

This game is doomed. I recommend to the devs that they take a step back, and go into another phase of requirements testing. There seem to be a few key MMO features that you guys might have sidestepped.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 4:40PM mysecretid said

You make up original superheroes and supervillains, who exist in the game world alongside the famous characters everyone knows.

The famous DC characters are NPCs you interact with from time to time

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 5:15PM Hambone Hamlet said

Why so much doom and gloom over a game that is not even in beta and you clearly have no idea how its will work? "Flash Gordon"? Your not a DC fan are your ..lol ... wrong universe.

As much as I love Hal Jordan, its was great seeing that John Stewart is in the game too. Having more than one GL is a good move maybe we will see Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner too.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 5:59PM MtthwRddl said

It's not like we won't see a million Darth Vaders, Luke Skywalkers, and Han Solos running around SWTOR.

It's not like we don't already see Batmans, Supermans, etc running around in Champions Online (until they are reported and deleted).

What counts is gameplay. If the gameplay is fun, this will be a HUGE hit and will blow CoX, CO out of the water. (imho)

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 1:59AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
At those that commented the OP down:

I didn't realise someone needed to be a DC fanboy or know exactly how the game works to post a comment. How shameful.

In any event, neither am/do I. So I suppose I'll be flamed and have my comment voted down for saying:

Wouldn't it be a bit silly, even against canon, to have lots of Earth-based Green Lanterners?

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 10:44PM starka1 said

No, he was marked down for telling a company how to do their job, not making an honest inquiry ONLY and predicting doom on a game that is not even in alpha. He could have stopped after the first sentence and I would agree with you RJGiskard but he didn't so he was marked down and rightfully so.

I don't agree with your last sentence either because at that point you are asking for a comic book simulator and that is not what this is. If you go that route, I'm sure there are many more flaws you could point out. Going from one medium to another is always an exercise in compromise.

I hope you are not marked down because I want everyone to read your foolish comments especially the 'fanboi' one of which no argument is complete [trash].

If you have a genuine question and want to take the road less taken then ask it without the fanfare.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 4:50PM (Unverified) said

Screens look awesome. I got a chance to play with the combat system at Comicon. It was a blast, so much more fluid and intuitive than other current super hero mmo's.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 5:56PM MtthwRddl said

Sweet Jesus, I think I've gone to heaven!

Green Lanterns unite! (or better yet, Blue Lanterns)

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 5:57PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Great, another excellent IP for SOE to **** over as only they can.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 10:01AM wjowski said

'Great IP'? Have you seen Amazons Attack?

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 8:16AM LaughingTarget said

Green Lantern technology in a museum? Has Oa fallen that behind in technology that makes Green Lantern stuff so backwards and primitive it gets displayed in museums?

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 9:23AM (Unverified) said

probably just one of those "world of tomorrow" type exhibits. Personally, I'm wondering why it would be in an art museum and not science and history... I am also wondering that if you follow the GL template, how will your powers be shown, with it being able to vary in canon widely from a huge fist to a fly swatter, depending on what the Lantern thought up in that moment.

Possibly a construction pack to make your own power effects? Could also help with the costume piece customization... imagine that...

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 8:16PM LaughingTarget said

The art wouldn't last too long, once they stop concentrating, it vanishes. The museum probably has a ton of GLs just sitting around, making stuff with their rings.

Also, if we could create our own power ring forms, I would buy this game in a Flash (rimshot).

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 1:25PM (Unverified) said

This is what blows my mind...why woud people jump to a PROPERTY based game, based on the fact that the main characters of said property will be in there as non-controllable NPC's? I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would play DC Universe over City of Heroes or Champions Online. Plus, it's a proven fact that original IP-based games ALWAYS last longer than licensed ones.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 5:01PM (Unverified) said

Champions Online IS an IP based game. Just not as well known... Strength of a known IP is the only thing keeping games like SWG still going.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 1:38PM pcgneurotic said

Can you imagine a GLC expansion pack for this? How about a "Blackest Night" pack. That would blow a few minds, I'm sure!

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 8:13PM (Unverified) said

Yes, I am aware that Champions is a smaller license, but I think it will function AS an original IP from the customers POV. I point to The Matrix, LOTRO, etc, all games that were just messes.

I don't get the concept..people don't want to play a game where they get to SEE Gandalf or Neo, that's what the movies are for. People want to BE Gandalf and Neo; which is part of the problem with LOTRO right now...as players demanded the ability to play as a wizard, even though it's lore-breaking. hence, why LOTRO post-Moria has been a mess, and why they have been losing subscribers in an unprecedented amount.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 9:59PM (Unverified) said

That is just it, in DCO you will have the oppurtunity to take an archtypal npc, and build a template based off of their skills. Want to pseudo-join the GL Corps? You can start with the actual GL template, or pick your own. Same goes for Batman, Joker, Superman, etc. I think however, you might not get or that they may be slightly weaker, until you progress toward max level.

I also would differ on your use of LotRO. While it did not hit WoW numbers, it has certainly held it's own.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 8:58PM (Unverified) said

In brightest DAY.

Singular. :P

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 11:26PM (Unverified) said

Well, obviously you have never played LOTRO, or if you did, it was exclusively post-Moria. Pre-Moria, the game was vibrant, lore appropriate, and well recieved. Post-Moria, everything is a mess. There's nobody doing pre-Moria quests due to terrible signup numbers, to the point that I was stuck on a MAJOR quest chain for SIX months due to a lack of players doing that quest...to the point that even offers to PAY people to assist went ignored.

In addition, with Moria, Turbine broke COMPLETELY from the LOTR lore, in essence rendering LOTRO as just another fantasy MMO. LOTRO is broken, majorly, tragically, and terminally.
| 1 | 2 |