Posted: Aug 28th 2009 7:23PM Wisdomandlore said

• 1 heart
I think CO's launch will be similar to WAR's last year: big initial sales followed by few subscriptions. Aion will start out strong and stay strong as it's the first game in awhile that has the polish and the content to compete with WoW. I would be worried that it would be another WAR/AoC repeat, but the game is already successful across the Pacific. As for Fallen Earth, it will either die within the first few months or build a tenuous niche following. I don't see this one being a sleeper hit.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 10:08PM MewmewGrrl said

May games that are popular overseas fall flat when they are released here, so to say it's going to do well because it already is doing well somewhere else, that isn't a good indication. As a matter of fact, most games that are made for their audience don't do well at all here, simply because we have different gameplay tastes. Aion is absolutely not going to compete with WoW. I don't even care for WoW, I just am facing the truth. Aion is just too much like what we've played over and over again too.

If Cryptic follows through on all the promises for Champions, it very well may be running for some time. It won't be the new big hit of course, but it may at least have enough subscribers to keep it going. It's hard to say at this point, as some things they haven't shown in the beta that are promised to be part of the game (mostly, the end game).

Fallen Earth I am worried about. I play the game and it seems different and cool with a pretty neat system, but I don't think it's going to have the mass appeal to keep that many people paying to play at $15 a month. I am pretty sure it's not going to keep going that long unless it changes the model, either microtransactions (aka free to play) or a cheaper monthly payment. It's still SUPER buggy too, way too buggy for a game that is supposed to be releasing in just over a week.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 10:09PM MewmewGrrl said

Sorry, I meant to start that paragraph with "many" not "may".

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 9:00AM Crsh said

There's really no guarantee whatsoever Aion will be successful in the US/Euro market, only time will tell.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 7:32PM myr said

I have a feeling CO will be similar to WAR as well, at least in terms of initial sales and retained subs.

Disclosure: I might now be considered an Aion fanboy by some. However, I think it really has an opportunity to hit it big. I seem to remember something like 2m subscribers worldwide already; if that's true I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 3-4m peak after the NA/EU release. I'm sure there will be some fallout a few months afterward though, when people realize that it's a PVP game later on and NCsoft has no intention of making PVE servers.

Can't say much about the others as I haven't really looked into them. Wasn't a Fallout fan, so I doubt Fallen Earth would interest me. But I'll definitely be picking up Aion, and if I get bored of it and CO is still going strong around christmas time I might pick that up then.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 7:41PM Tom in VA said

Hmmm.... September. What to do?

--I am not at all interested in Aion
--I am not at all interested in CO
--I am not at all interested in FE

DDO:U is a possibility, so I may test those waters a bit, but most likely I will go back to LotRO or WoW until either GW2 or something actually "subscription-worthy" comes along.

Of the listed games, however, Aion will probably be the most successful, I expect, maybe even a runaway hit. The other two will also do OK (i.e., be viable and not bomb). That's my best guess anyway. As for DDO:U, I am really REALLY curious to see how this shift to F2P pans out.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 9:26PM (Unverified) said

I have played many mmos and I have to say none of the current lined up in September interest me at all. it seems that noone has done anything too origional, and it all ends up just feeling like the same game with a different gimmick.

I recently picked up crimecraft and have been playing it day and night. It has had an amazing launch which the exception of a few short server hiccups that have since been straightened out. The community is tight and fairly mature. All around a solid purchase this september.

I am however disappointed in CO after beta. It just doesn't appeal to me and the performance issues seemed like they were so far from launch, yet they were actually one week away. Aion interests me the most, and I will be following that at launch to see if I will be getting into that.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 7:57AM (Unverified) said

That's as wrong as it could possible be, mate : ).
D&D Online: Eberron Unlimited my be probably THE most original MMO game you've ever played, if you gave it a chance.
So saying those titles listed don't have anything really original isn't true. Other titles, ok, but not new DDO.

I really recommend you give it a try. Even DDO:U client is free, and you won't need to spend a penny in the first months of playing. That's some ultimate trial, to say the least.
But keep in mind this game is PvE centered, PvP is just for some additional fun if you ever try it.

I think everyone should at least try DDO:U for 2 main reasons:

1. It is probably the most original and unique game on the market. Combat system, robust character customization system (real customization, not fluff) and full collision system further make it a title every MMO enthusiast should know.

2. DDO:U's instances are probably the best you can find to date. The biggest and most advanced in every aspect, if you happen to see those bigger things starting around level 4.

Other titles... Aion isn't for me. I've played enough WoW-style games - WoW, WAR, LotrO. It's getting boring.
CO? Will check it. But generally, theme of this game isn't appealing to me at all. Superheroes? Give me a break. I honestly don't know a thing about CO game world, as I wasn't interested ever.
Fallen Earth? I can check it there's a free trial. I like sandbox, so yeah, then they introduce free trial I'll download it.

Until then - D&D Online : ). For beta participants it start this Tuesday (1st), for all the world, the 9th Sept.

Posted: Aug 28th 2009 10:53PM (Unverified) said

What I'd give for just one of those to be a good game though. CO and Aion will probably be deemed successful based on their retail business. But then so were WAR and AoC. I see them deflating rather quickly, though perhaps not as severely. FE is really a dark horse. Probably won't set the world on fire when it's released. But it's very indie. If they have a strong live team and build on the game patch after patch it could become something of an EvE-like. Though... that's of course the very best case scenario.

Oh well. May Borderlands and Dragon Age save us all.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 2:59AM Graill440 said

Actually a rather sad september, nothing worth a whit being released (yes my opinion, but i am quite qualified to judge). Nothing in 2009 is of any consequence.

The best of them will pull less than 100k actually paying subs and i am sure it/they will drop to a "lets let go of some staff to streamline our success" level a couple months after releases.

Of course the free play and people buying the game(s) will be thrown into the sub count for the next two years to try and garner funds from pissed off investors. So, if 400k games are sold and only 60k actually sub, which is usually the case, only triple digit numbers will make it to the investor reports, actual sub numbers will never be shown, and never are, by anyone. Then there is the spin.

I see only a few prospects in 2010 and even then it will not take much to change my mind, so devs, dont screw up.

Posted: Aug 29th 2009 9:08AM Crsh said

I might give Aion a try, however I'm growing very tired of the fantasy genre with the same old archtypes (using various names, but still the same concepts).

DDO doesn't interest me, and I can't even say it's "new", CO doesn't interest me at all (it just looks like CoH with updated graphics to me). Fallen Earth I haven't looked into, might be worth checking out.

Posted: Aug 30th 2009 8:45AM (Unverified) said

What stuns me is how foolish the game industry is with releases. They need to copy the movie industry better. Movie's have multiple seasons, with releases scheduled year round. I swear video games have 1 season, xmas.

They almost seem to ignore every other season, anything coming out after xmas usually missed it's original release date. HOWEVER 2010 looks to be one of the BEST years for gaming in awhile due to so many releases in first 6 months.

2009 so far has sucked, tho finally now with CO and Aion both of good quality but different are out.