Posted: Aug 26th 2009 3:58PM (Unverified) said

Woo! An excellent write-up, as always. I even laughed out loud in a few places. I love how you included various characters from the kinship in the story. I especially like Capeo's "personality". Look forward to continuing the adventure!

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 4:12PM (Unverified) said

The Great Barrows apparently will be your next target! I wonder if you will take on the Lone Lands or the North Downs after reaching level ~25.

I think the Lone Lands could use an overhaul, they are fairly easy and tons of kill deeds and quests there plus a lot of running.

The North Downs on the other hand are very enjoyable IMO. But I went hardcore deed-questing and killed off the Trolls for the deed in the southeastern Lone Lands.

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 4:58PM Snorii said

The Lone Lands are getting an overhaul - not sure if it will make it in Book 9, but I'd say it is very likely. There are some great posts by Orion on http://my.lotro.com/orion/ talking about revamping the Garth Agarwen instance. It will be for groups of three or four after the revamp.

Great Barrows are a lot of fun in a group - you'll have lots of fun.

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 5:12PM Tanek said

As much as I think some of the early fellowship quests are tuned a bit too easy right now, making GA available for on-level groups of 3 or 4 is probably a good thing.

The quests in there can be quite fun, but it seems to be one of the most frequently skipped instances in the game.

That said, I think it should still be somewhat challenging for those groups of 3 or 4, not just a walk in the park...er...swamp. Whatever. :)

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 5:27PM Thac0 said

It really shows you have linear this game is by the lack of choices you have on what to do next, You even had to add running to Rivendel as if that was something fun to do just to add another option. :( Choice in an RPG is essential other whise where is the RP?

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 6:05PM JaySpeed said

It really opens up soon and becomes alot less linear. You can do trestlebridge quests at early 20's and head to the Forsaken Inn for 22-24. Then head back to North Downs for 24-30+. After finishing Esteldin quests in North Downs you can do the Fornost instance. Or you can start questing in Evendim or the Trollshaws. Doing both regions should get you around 38+. You then can choose to quest in Tal Bruinen (Trollshaws), Aughaire (Angmar), or head to the Misty Mountains. Once in the low 40's you can head off to Forochel. This should get you into the high 40's. You can also do quests in High Pass and Goblin Town (Misty Mountains) at 45+. You can enter eastern Angmar around lvl 45 also but you need to complete Epic Book 6 first. You should be close to lvl 50 by then so you can go off to Eregion or start Volume 2 Book 1 to get into Moria.

Posted: Aug 26th 2009 6:10PM Tanek said

You are correct, the game is very linear in some ways. Part of that, I think, is a result of the structure to lead you along the Epic storyline path. (Which I don't mind at all, since the Epic questline is one of the things I really like about the game.)

Another part is that the zones cover much more territory (level-wise) than I have seen in other games. The Lone Lands has quests from about level 15 to level 30. North Downs goes from early 20's to near 40.

I do think replayability takes a bit of a hit for people who roll multiple alts when you level up through many of the same quests (after level 15, anyway), but that is the case for most of the other games I have played as well. The fun for me comes from playing different characters/classes through those areas, so again, it does not impact me as much.

Plus, while the kind of freedom you are talking about is great in an RPG, this is an MMORPG and even more than that, it is a game that is out to tell a story. So even though people can have different adventures along the way, we are all essentially on the same road that the developers are paving with the bricks Tolkien so expertly provided.

There are plenty of opportunities for RP, though. In fact, even though there is only 1 "unofficially official" RP server, I think I have seen more people on all LotRO servers having fun playing their character in addition to playing the game than I have in other MMOs.

Posted: Aug 27th 2009 12:30AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, you gotta remember they are following the fellowship also. I think the reason it feels so linear is because you already know how the story goes, so it feels like you're following someone. If you didn't know that, I think the game would feel much more open.

You have 4 beginning areas that kind of funnel into Bree, from Bree it branches, and each branch from Bree branches more, so eventually you have a ton of choices what to do. Moria kind of funnels you back down yet again, but there are basically 2 paths to take in Moria as well, and by 58 you have many areas to finish out those 2 last levels, including the instances.

The game just expands than funnels back down for story reasons, but then always expands again outward to give you choice.

Posted: Aug 27th 2009 4:09AM (Unverified) said

Following the storyline of course gives the game a somewhat linear feeling, but I actually can chose between playing in the North Downs or Lone Lands and later between North Downs and Evendim.

As a rather new LOTRO player I wonder I think this game has other issues, but for sure not being too linear.

But hey, I also do not understand how Shawn can even consider running to the smelly Elves in Rivendell from day one of his adventure...! :)

HINT: If you did most Breeland quests, there is a level 30 elite giant and two quests that reward you for killing SVALFANG (sp?). His gear and the quest reward are mostly useful for melee chars, but I think a group of 6 should take the time to head to the Brandywine Mountains and slay the monster, even if they do not have the quests pointing them there! :)

Posted: Aug 27th 2009 9:09AM (Unverified) said

I wish you guys would have used the EU version, i would have loved to join up also :D

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale