Posted: Aug 25th 2009 2:12PM Cendres said

Whoa that's actually pretty cool!! Happy I pre ordered a physical copy even more! XD

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 2:16PM Arkanaloth said

it's a shame I have zero interest in Aion, the wings look cool and all but dropping money on a game I won't play for them just isn't going to happen.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 2:29PM (Unverified) said

As someone who ordered a digital version of Aion directly from NCsoft, this annoys me for two reasons. First, it's announced now, instead of when the pre-order was made available. And second, because I paid the same amount of money as someone who goes into Gamestop.

It seems like developers keep giving a lot of goodies to retail buyers rather than people who buy a digital copy... which is strange, since they must make more money on digital copies. You'd think they would want to encourage digital distribution, not deter it.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 3:58PM agitatedandroid said

Just gonna take a stab in the dark and say that the majority of people that buy games aren't as savvy and hip as you and I.

Brick and Mortar stores are dying to the internet, especially gaming shops hence all the consolidation over the last 10 years. The B&M makes a deal with the developer "give us the game and some goodies and we'll put it in the window". The developer wants the box in the window.

The developer wants everyone cruising the mall to walk by Gamestop and see a giant angelic Aion character. Cause I'm willing to bet that more people learn about these games from seeing them in a store than they do from reading about them on Massively.

If you doubt that then check into your favorite MMO sometime and do a quick survey to see how many of the players are even aware there are forums for their game.

How often have you logged into WoW and been stunned that everyone in your guild didn't already know that a new expansion was coming out for the game they were playing at that minute? They don't read Massively (much to Liz and Shawn's lament I'm sure), they don't trust digital download, they go to stores and the developers know this.

Sometimes logic, isn't.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 2:47PM Minofan said

KAHNNNN!

Love Guild Wars, zero interest in Aion - at least with them handing codes out with purchases like this, a whole bunch should end up on ebay (if it's anything like the previous promotions a whole lot should "somehow" find there ways direct from retail staff to ebay too).

I have to make a note to keep checking come September.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 3:08PM Tom in VA said

"Love Guild Wars, zero interest in Aion". Yup, that about sums it up for me, too.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 3:54PM Lateris said

I would not reward a guild wars player with something that has no functionality.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 5:48PM Nomadic0ne said

Ok. I agree with derella.
This is bull shit.
I also pre purchased the digital download, but easily would have ordered a retail copy if I had know about this.
I don't care what deals were made with the corporate retail ogres.
If you're going to use a promotion like this, it needs to be made known at the time ALL preorders are made available so people can make a decision!
I already tied my preorder serial to my ncsoft account for the beta.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no backing out for me now.

Again.
This is bull shit.
>:(

Posted: Aug 27th 2009 2:13PM Nmaster64 said

WTF is Steelbook edition?

I have $5 preorder at Gamestop (non-Collectors). Does that work?