Posted: Aug 24th 2009 5:36PM MewmewGrrl said

You scared me for a moment. I keep pointing people to this site, pointing out how you are taking over as the best online gaming news site because you guys exclude any articles about "sexy" this and "sexy" that, panties and boobs, etc. Then I see a big picture with boobs and say to myself "Oh NO". At least it just ended up being a link to an article that is a serious discussion about why they are used in game advertising. I was very frightened for a moment. Speaking of fright, do guys actually think those giant nasty malformed water balloons hanging off the chest of the girl for the picture of this article looks good? Personally I think it's a sad joke, and a great example of just how out of hand it's getting.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 7:10PM Celestian said

Wow, you must be a chick. Seriouslt though.... I don't know a red blooded male that wouldn't take a double looks at those things if they were real.

It's in our blood to appreciate the opposite sex.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 8:08PM niakori said

I'm a chick and I took a double take. I think we can all appreciate breasts and all of their sizes, shapes, colours and buoyancy... cept the obviously fake ones -.-

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 4:15AM kiaria said

I'm a girl (well, a woman really, I am 30) and I think those boobs are quite awesome. The female body is a beautiful thing. :) I'm probably even more appreciative of pixelated breasts than my boyfriend, so I don't think it's fair to just assume the use of breasts in games is purely done to appeal to males.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 6:49AM MewmewGrrl said

Lol, no offense but yes, it is done to appeal to males. They don't make big surging breasts to appeal to other females. I don't judge you or what you find sexually attractive, but I am not the least bit attracted to other women and to see these goofy looking overly huge malformed breasts just makes me want to puke. I don't even understand how a guy could look at that and like it, it's not nice shaped, it's nasty, it would have to be super fake to exist in real - hurt like crazy to carry around, and sag to the floor like what a water balloon looks like when filling it up when they got older. You may as well just get a blow up doll if you find that ugly fake stuff attractive.

Personally I think that realness is making a comeback and balloon chests are out. I guess if you're older you don't really understand that yet :D

What's the worst is trying to gauge what the average female thinks of something when all the "guys playing girls" come and respond to it. It skews the data.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 10:12AM Tom in VA said

Well, I'm male, married with children, etc., and I think the image accompanying this massively article just looks really ... uncomfortable and stupid. It blares the message "trashy/seedy" to me and is a complete turn off.

Believe it or not, some hetero males prefer "classy sexy" to "slutty sexy", and I happen to be one of them. And, yes, there is a difference.

Sure, sex appeal helps to sell games, but I always thought the Guild Wars box-cover gals, for example, were more of a class act than some of the other pictures accompanying the Weathers article because of what they *didn't* show.

The "Playboy bunny" image, in particular, just makes me lol every time I see it. It is so completely absurd. Sadly, it also "trashifies" everything it is associated with -- not only Perfect World but also mmorpg, where it is now prominently displayed.

Just my 2ยข.

The article, however, was quite entertaining.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 5:34PM niakori said

Sorry but I don't show my crotch around to everyone.
I'm a woman for sure, I don't have to prove that to anyone. And I like breasts, I'm not sappho, and maybe I've been in male dominated mediums for too long, but there, I do.

I won't go as far to say as seeing pixelated boobage would make me puke (grow a nut already) and the only thing wrong about the ones illustrated above is that they are too big for her frame. Then again if you draw a woman with realistic chest depth and frame for larger breasts you'll have guys clamoring over how unreal they are as well just because they don't look like their girlfriend/wife and the handful of boobs they actually saw. Give me a break.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 5:40PM Minofan said

A fun read.

As a male gamer aged 18-34 I'm happy to be gay and thus immune to the boob-gravitation effect of sucky games, though it would take a rack of exceptional distaste to actually put me off a game (for instance: that Massively banner pic is horrifying! My PC screen is filled with shame just displaying it!).

As a male gamer aged 18-34 though, I'm unhappy with the standard of eye-candy targeting me in advertising - middle-aged body-builders with beards and 34 DD moobs don't cut it. *shudder* Moar hunks noh plz!

In all seriousness though, I personally find 'artsy' aesthetics the most striking - e.g. WARs box art or the current Guild Wars 2 web-site design - and I'm old enough to find all sexualised computer game advertising thoroughly silly. TV and movies sure (even books if they're of a frisky nature), but computer games are inherently the least sexy entertainment medium around.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 5:52PM (Unverified) said

Small irony, the same brainstem-level manipulation that marketing uses to influence our purchases every MMO ever made has used to keep people playing. Random loot and manufactured rarity is all about the gamblers fallacy that is wired deep into our brains. Gygax may have invented/popularized it but every mmo I have played has worked it hard with the color-rating systems and rarity levels to massage that part of our brains that craves the big score.

At least in this case it only costs 15/mo and not everything you own.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 1:20PM Averice said

lol, so true.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

"Get your head out of the gutter"

I love how a good clean appreciation of mammaries is frowned upon as a "dirty" concept.

Hooray for brainwashing!

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 7:15PM Jesspiper said

While said artwork still snags my eye. The days of me purchasing a product for said reasons are long, long gone. I've moved on to real boobs and my fiancee's DD's are much better better than pixels.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 7:32PM myr said

I'd like to think that most advertising doesn't work on me. I try to research things thoroughly before opening up my wallet. But for some reason in every beta I play I have at least one female character with the boob slider on max...

Males will be males. In two equally fun games, the one with the better looking girl on the cover will generally win out.

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 8:13PM Seraphina Brennan said

I always liked to think that this type of advertising is below most people... but, sadly, this story is the most read story on the site right now. >.>

Geez, I wonder why?

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 9:26PM Gaugamela said

Jeez! I dunno but you've put a really nice artwor along with your article so you have some good eyes to spot a nice pair of breasts. ;)

This was a funny article and Sanya's article is also funny.
And since the demographic of this site is the 18-34 demographic ofcourse that picture would atract a lot of viewers.

I like the small detail that the Tags of this article have 4 different terms for breasts.
Men are men, there's a reason for "sex" being the most looked after word in the Internet.
I think this small machinima from WoW sums up this debate really well for both genders:

:D

With that said, i don't know why the marketing dudes don't emphasize the booty a bit more.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 6:43AM SgtBaker said

Colin, how many of those hits come from search engine referrals due to the rather heavily biased tags in the article? :-)

And more to the topic - yeah, sex sells and we're buying - even after having done research about the games, their features combined with my old ripe age (the 35-45 bracket) I sometimes find myself gravitating towards the "prettier" boxes on the shelves - the female body is beautiful, so call me a stereotypical dirty old man, but I don't really care :-)

However I think the "predominantly male 18-25" game consuming category isn't the main focus anymore, so things might be changing soon, maybe we'll soon start getting musculous hunks in box covers to attract the female crowd.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 10:51AM myr said

To be fair it's still on the front page too, and until this morning it was showing up on five-link RSS feeds.

But yeah, the picture IS eyecatching, I won't deny it.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 4:29PM Seraphina Brennan said

@sgtbaker

Actually, it's just our standard reader base. Google still has their usual amount of referrals, although I'm sure that will change once the spider gets ahold of us. :)

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 8:08PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'm gay, so no thnx :(

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 9:08PM (Unverified) said

Is the girl in the picture trying to pop her boob?

Swordsman launches today