Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 8:25AM Tom in VA said

Abso-freaking-lutely. :-)

GW2 is at the top of my "want-to-play-now" list (followed closely by SWTOR). The things I liked best about the original Guild Wars included:

--Great overarching stories
--Map travel
--Wonderful graphics
--the way skills worked
--the armors

GW had an overall design philosophy that allowed players to just PLAY and not grind (unless you wanted to, for rep or titles or whatever, I never did this) and also not spend interminable amounts of time trying to find groups or traveling from place to place.

I imagine that design philosophy will carry over into Guild Wars 2. It's all win, imo.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 8:46AM (Unverified) said

GW2 is definitely one I'll be trying before ever getting hyped up about. The first Guild Wars sounded great on paper to me too but despite buying it and giving it multiple tries I simply could not get into it.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:32AM elocke said

Completely agree with this. I've wanted to like this game but it never grabbed me.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:02AM Meagen said

I absolutely love Guild Wars. I love the design, I love the lore, I love spending time in that world. I love the lack of endless level grind. I love that maximum stat armor is easy to get and the most expensive ones are only cosmetic. I love that to succeed in difficult areas, all you need to do is pick eight skills from all the ones you have that work well together and use them correctly.

I'm kind of sad they're putting Elona and Cantha on a bus, but I'm hoping we'll get expansions for GW2 that allow us to travel to those two continents eventually.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:03AM (Unverified) said

I've always loved GW, but also found it lacking it many ways. All of it's flaws(no persistent areas, glued to the ground, etc...) are things that Anet is changing in GW2, so I couldn't be more exited for it. I've always liked the setting for GW, the art direction, and the lack of a subscription, so this may be the first game that I buy the Collector's Edition for :)

The best part about GW2 will be that I can play it alongside another MMO, like SWTOR.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:35AM (Unverified) said

That last line is exactley what I love about Guild Wars, and hopefully what I'll love about Guild Wars 2.

Everything about it, the no subscription, the ease of picking it up and playing regardless of what you needed or wanted to do, means it's always installed on my PC and always gets played in varying degrees of casual to hardcore.

I also very much agree with you about the 2 flaws you mentioned, and the fact that arenanet have obviously learnt and listened is a great to know.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:08AM Zontix said

Hated how the first one was instanced, never could get in to it. The second seems like it's going to be more of a "real" mmo, it looks pretty great. I'll probably give it a try when it comes out, but I'm not dying to or anything, like I am with Aion. :>

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:25AM heartlessgamer said

They will need to do something different than whats out there. I think Aion is about the last AAA game the market can hold as a quality Diku-inspired MMOG. If anymore AAA games want to succeed they will have to differentiate quite substantially. This doesn't mean they have to innovate, but they will need something very different or deliver the same in a very different manor that makes it feel fresh.

This includes GW2 and Star Wars:ToR. SW:ToR is going to fall flat if all they have is voice acting over a Diku-inpsired Star Wars MMOG.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 7:54PM wjowski said

Load of crap. There's plenty of room for MMOs of any stripe as long as they're well made and enjoyable. The reason the newer MMOs are failing is because they're poorly made or just plain not fun, it's as simple as that.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:27AM Mooncalled said

Absolutely cannot wait. But I know I have to.

I am interested in how they will jump everything forward in the history and lore. I am also curious about what kind of technology will be available. Will there by tech specific skills for the Asura?

Although I don't have any real interest in playing a different race, I'm glad they are including new playable races.

Sthuper excited!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:51AM (Unverified) said

I think GW2 will take the mmo-experience to new levels, both artistically and from a gameplay perspective. If they can implement the event-system successfully and leave the old boring questing behind it will be something truly unique and revolutionary in the mmo-world. Naturally there will be a big learning curve for getting this right, but I think they will succed.

GW2 is the ONE game I have been looking the most forward to since it was announced two years ago, so I'll buy it pretty much no matter where they take it.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:02AM Oneiromancer said

While I like and still occasionally play the original Guild Wars, the new trailer and art tells me nothing about the gameplay. A game can have the best art and story in the world but if it is boring to play, then I won't be playing it. I can't possibly say whether or not I'll pick it up until some concrete details emerge.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:11AM Pingles said

I always see Guild Wars on folks "favorite MMO" lists so I am intrigued. I'll wait for a few reviews but I think I'm gonna give this a shot.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:21AM Hambone Hamlet said

I have never played GW 1 and only heard about a little about the game through podcast and blogs but seeing the trailer for GW 2 has put this game on my "keep any eye on" list. It's too earlier to say I will be buying this when it released but I will be following the news releases.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:30AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I actually don't like the original Guild Wars due to the heavy instancing.... which makes the GW2 announcements excellent since they seem to be moving away from that. The "events" system that will replace questing sounds innovative, and of course they have already promised to avoid making the game subscription-based.

All in all I'm excited for GW2, and will certainly give it a shot.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:38AM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
I do not even know when this comes out and apart of a lot of bla bla all I see is a eye candy trailer..... no ui noting... over at ign youtube channel they had 20 mins game play from Star Wars:ToR with UI and everthing but it was what I feared and did play like a Bioware game in place of a mmo...... and the voice acting was include but the writing was so .... Oh my god bad!! It was one of that painfull talk thingies where you stop caring 2 mins in and try to make the right choose to stop it and get out of talk mode..... but what ever you do it just keep on going!

However Blizzard show off there product great... they gone back to redo all old world! and next to that add story process and 7 brand new zones, new instants, guild process woot levels! reward systems. And OMG lfg over your complete battlegroup for 5 man instants!! And wow Battle.net chat over all games your will be able to chat with your friends no matter what blizzard game/realm/faction he is playing!! And next to that they had demos on floor of the brand new starter zones!! UI panels, tech, raids and everything..... Sorry all but Blizzard is by far the big winner here with more details and smart markting and hey they even got people so far to pay for streams and tickets for a press release!!!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 1:36PM Its Utakata stupid said

@ Jack

If your compairing WoW's next xp announcement to GW2, then you're compairing apples to organges. Both games are doing it right in their own unique ways. And it gives players more great options to chose from when deciding to play MMO's. This is a good thing.

(Note: I really hate this ad hominem rating system...I can barely read what he wrote.)

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 1:51PM TheJackman said

• Half a heart
I know guild wars and I am sure guild wars 2 will be great but base on that trailer they not really show off anything new or way I have to buy the game.... I am saying that Blizzard did a much better job showing off World of Warcraft Cataclysm!

They started out with the storyline like the GW2 trailer and 100% ingame no lame art work weird thing GW2 did or pre rendered so called in game stuff.

I am talking about the trailer like this is pretty much all the info I got for GW2 they did not show anything else

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 5:47PM cforciea said

I'd argue that there was substantially more new information to be gleaned from the Guild Wars 2 trailer. Sure, there were a couple of new race announcements and mention of an increased level cap in the Cataclysm trailer, but those are mostly small bits of information that only make sense in the larger context of a post-release game. They could announce something like a level cap for Guild Wars 2, but unless it were something really outside of our expectations (read: less than 20 or higher than 100), it wouldn't mean anything to us at all without an idea of what leveling and character progression means specifically in that game.

On the other hand, we got our first in-game footage of a brand new game on an all-new engine. We now have an idea of the visual quality of Guild Wars 2, both with regard technical prowess (texture quality and polygon count) and overall style and artistic vision. That means a ton to us folk who have been eagerly awaiting news on a game that up until now had the potential both to never come to fruition and to rock the foundation of subscription models for online games for years to come.

You are clearly much more into what World of Warcraft had to offer than anything you saw from the original Guild Wars, and I'm glad you have found something you can enjoy. But I think the amount of information you already have about World of Warcraft is clouding your view of what is actually new in that trailer. If you had never played WoW before, a Tauren standing there using Paladin skills wouldn't mean a thing to you,

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:57AM Kaio said

I've been anticipating FFXIV so much I kind of forgot about GW2 until recently. I plan on getting it, I know a few friends from Guild Wars that are definitely going to get it.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM