Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 1:51AM (Unverified) said

They should focus on how to fix the incredible amount of stability issues and crashes in Runes Of Magic instead of separating their workforce to make another game. It is surprising that no major website like this one has noticed the problems that plague RoM's gameplay and players. Their dissatisfaction doesn't do much to help kick the machine in action... It can be the best F2P on the market but it feels like a beta to me and everyone else.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 2:35AM (Unverified) said

You get what you pay for. F2P games are the Walmarts of the gaming industry.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 7:47AM pcgneurotic said

Runs slicker than hammered owl's snot for me, never crashed once. Played it on three different machines. Bingo.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 7:48AM Tom in VA said

Well, I for one, would like to see a F2P online game take up where the original Guild Wars left off:

--Party-based (AI or players)
--Single-player friendly
--Persistent world/instanced missions and dungeons

With MTs (assuming it's F2P/MT-based) focused around purchasing additional mini-adventure packs and/or customizable Heros (as in Guild Wars), vanity mount(s)/vanity armor, additional character slots, additional races, etc.

I think such a game would be viable as a F2P. It's what I wish they'd done with Tabula Rasa. The direction DDO:U is going is a win-win, in my opinion. If Tabula Rasa had been offered as a F2P with that kind of a setup, I would have signed on indefinitely, and I think the game would have developed quite a following and been successful for players and developer both.

My frustration with DDO:U is that there is no persistent world, the gameplay mechanics are crummy and confusing, the character models are awful, and so on. In short, it's a ho-hum game with a pretty decent F2P design.

I *do* think, however, that it would be possible to design a F2P that would make money for the developer and actually be fun to play. The biggest reasons F2Ps fail in my opinion is (1) overall poor game design and/or (2) an overly greedy MT shop setup.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:07AM SgtBaker said

Ok, so let's see, it's probably going to have a large world! new innovative quests! some never before explored raids and instances! exciting new monsters!

...wait...

Colour me skeptic, but I'm tired of "next gen" announcements that turn out to be just another diku-eq-wow-clone. I think I'll just wait for the actual release before I start cartwheeling around the neighborhood in excitement.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014