Posted: Aug 22nd 2009 1:16PM (Unverified) said

Frankly, I'm tired of MMO's who's answer to lack of end-game content, or simply by design, is to roll another character. I want MMO's that encourage you to have one character, but advance that character in other ways, allowing you to become more powerful, or simply more useful.

Often Alt's is the biggest reason people don't accomplish as much in an MMO as others who avoid making yet another character. Spreading your time out really limits just how far you can take a single character.

But give me a game where I have one character, but can do far more. It's yet another good design decision made by CCP, and one I hope they carry over to World of Darkness, the single character focus. I also think APB will have this same single character focus, which is a good design decision.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2009 4:20PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
If you ask a question that inplies need regarding anything, you need to get help, or at the least use your brain and make the easy choice to try or change to a different hobby. Your article reeks of longing about....MMO's, sad. With the enabler that "some" folks deal with "things" differently, reading your article you show the innability to make a choice in either quitting or moving on, and even imply others to post and make a choice for you, a weak mind indeed and a danger sign.

You need to do a couple things, first is to delete your toon, your toon accounts, and your subscription accounts with whatever game you are using, then go out and grab a sports product, baseball, hockey stick, fishing pole, paintball gun and use one of those items for at least two years, you should find you have no desire to play MMO's after this time.

Dont thank me, your article was a very quiet cry for help in which i am glad i could give you direction and advice. Now if you will excuse me i have to go over to my brothers house and watch him play WOW..........

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 9:15AM wjowski said

Are you really that much of a condescending jackass or do you just act like one on the internet?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 10:32AM rgoff31 said

It's about the journey for me, see all the sights and battling my way thought various enemies at my own pace. I don't see raiding as a reward for hitting a level cap, but more as a fruitless endeavor for shiny purples that don't mean anything to me because my journey is done. I don't typically create an alt to do it all over again, I usually find some other MMO or take a break from MMOs all together. I'm not sure what would keep me in an MMO after I've reached the end. Even in EVE I've set myself goals and achieved (Most of) them and move on to other MMOs. I suppose if a game pushed more social interaction to created more of an online community between it's players that might make players want stick around longer.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 2:14AM Heraclea said

This is why City of Heroes has remained the one game that I have stayed with, while occasionally trying others --- Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan, World of Warcraft.

Both raiding and PvP pit players against each other. PvP does so directly. Raiding does so subtly: but in every game I've seen that features raiding, you end up gambling against your teammates, or arguing your superior need to a raid leader, as to why you should be awarded some piece of valuable loot that, once claimed, is lost to your teammates. Both of these sorts of competition tend to poison the well of cooperativeness among players and lead to drama.

The City games do not use a standard raid loot model. In the one large scale raid, everyone who finishes it gets a reward of some kind. You can, of course, accumulate the cash or drops to "gear up" one character, or you can start another. But all "loot" in the game is personal, private, and potentially infinitely transferrable. You never have to compete for it against a teammate or politic for it with a guild or raid leader. If you can use it, it's yours. If you can't, you can sell everything. You never even have to tell anybody else about your lucky drop.

From my perspective, this makes for a higher quality community than the ones you see with extensive endgames involving raid politics or PvP.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 4:44AM MewmewGrrl said

No offense, but you didn't "win". MMOs are made so you never win, there is almost more to do, always more to see. For whatever reason you put it into your mind that hitting max level is "winning". For some people, hitting max level is just the beginning of their long journey. You can't just pick one part of the game, get to it and proclaim you won, especially in a game that you can never "win" per se. If you need to pretend you won in order to move on and feel good about yourself, great! But the reality is, you didn't, sorry :D

Posted: Aug 24th 2009 3:51AM lmollea said

Can say gratz. My ice/ice blaster took 7 months of playtime tioreach 50 and I remember it as a *very* long journey. But then... I dinged another 2 50 (a kin/elec defender and an ice/therm corruptor). Did a bit of pvp until pvp on that game was fun (pre-issue 13, now it's only about self-sustaining toons and i'm a support oriented player).
I cancelled my sub as i don't have enough time to invest in rolling and levelling another character (though i have many ideas to fill my roster).
Sadly because even with Champions Online coming up, i still feel that this game has many things to offer, but the devs are too much concentrated on customization and not gameplay (I'm not talking about content that's something coh doesn't lack).

Posted: Aug 23rd 2009 4:33PM J Brad Hicks said

Here, basically, are your choices in City of Heroes:

1) Become a fanatic "collector" for a while: Stop by Ouroboros and look at the list of story arcs you skipped; there are badges and souvenirs to collect. For that matter, look at your badge list's partially filled progress bars, there are lots more badges to collect. Why bother? Well, for some people there's a strong drive to "catch 'em all." It also makes your character even more powerful, if slightly, because of the Accolade system that grants powers based on collections of badges. Why bother? See #2.

2) It's all about the loot from here on: Any ordinary level 50 character should be able to solo any challenge that's designed to be soloed. At level 50 I'm quite sure you can solo any boss or elite boss in the game. But can you solo arbitrarily-large groups of regular enemies, like the famed "Rikti challenge" spawns at the far north end of the Rikti War Zone? If you can do that, can you solo Archvillains? If you can do that, can you solo Monsters? How about Giant Monsters? A couple of the last several issues introduced new loot that you get by doing level 50 content, all the level 50 content, in any order, basically helping other people who may be doing it for the first time and helping other people like you who need the loot, because merit rewards and ultra-rare enhancements can, in fact, beef your character up to where you can stand toe-to-toe with the Incarnates themselves, even at their full strength. In short, your experience bar has stopped moving, but all that means is that your base stats can never go up: your effective stats, however, can keep going up for a long, long time, if you have the determination and patience.

Or, alternatively, you can ...

3) See how the other side lives: Congratulations on your level 50 hero. Do you have a level 50 villain yet? Or, if you don't like heroes, remember that you just unlocked the option to play a Peacebringer or Warshade hero. Did you know that there's an entire level 1-50 story arc that only they get to play, the one that takes you inside and shows you the final secrets of The Council? Or, if you can stand going through the same content again (or if you choose to level through player-written content this time), on your trip to 50, were you constantly frustrated by shortages of some archetypes, or constantly frustrated that you didn't feel players of some archetype were pulling their weight? Try playing one yourself; see how the other side lives.

One huge fundamental difference between City of Heroes and almost every other MMO in history, that has remained constant even after the departure of the original lead designer, is a fierce determination on Paragon Studio's part to never, ever raise the level cap. They argue, based on watching what happens when other games have raised their level cap, it's a trap: it wastes a ton of money developing content that people will blow through in a week, and it spreads your player base out over an even wider level range, for little or no advantage. Instead, they chose to concentrate on a variety of what they call "alternate routes to power" (in other words, ways to enhance your character that aren't measured in XP) and on making the replayability factor the highest of any MMO in history.

Grats on your 50, though!

P.S. Find any wandering civilian NPC whose name starts with "M" and click on him. He'll tell you how many hours you have invested in this character so far, how long it took you to get to 50. Atlas Park in the area around City Hall should turn up one or two.

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 12:02AM (Unverified) said

I've enjoyed all aspects of World of Warcraft I've experienced in my year of playing the game. The questing and leveling had a kind of zen like quality to it that was both relaxing and satisfying. Organizing and leading lower level instance runs, particularly those from "vanilla" World of Warcraft was an early preview of endgame raiding and perhaps the most fun I had in the game until I reached the level cap with my now main character.

Since reaching the endgame I've joined a casual raiding guild, become an officer and class lead, and gradually improved my own skill at raiding. It's far more satisfying for me to execute a fight perfectly than the gear upgrades that constitute the endgame grind for most people. For me the endgame takes on the character of some of my favorite FPSs as my skill becomes, effectively, a new experience bar slowly filling towards some unreachable maximum. I can always get better even if my character's stats never move again.