Posted: Aug 18th 2009 7:18PM (Unverified) said

What is it that attracts MMO companies to choose File Planet? Is it strictly a bandwidth distribution issue? I always found it better for players that a game's beta client be available on a several gaming site mirrors rather than one source. Especially considering the lines/queues that FP forces on users.

When I look at some MMO games, take Guildwars, they provide a seemless wonderful patching and download service built right into their game client. If they can do this, why can't these other games?

Does FP provide cash? Advertising deals? What is it?

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 7:49PM (Unverified) said

All of the above. In one package. Plus it's got a userbase of hardcore gamers which is proven willing to pay monthly fees. Which is probably attractive to mmog developers.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 7:56PM (Unverified) said

I would venture a guess at cash. They provide bandwidth to the MMO publisher, and in-turn they get the 'open' beta keys to hand out exclusively to paid members.

I would say this is the only thing keeping FilePlanet afloat. I mean, really, who would pay for a downloading site nowadays? Since they get so many of these beta keys, they can keep people paying them money.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 8:39PM ultimateq said

I avoid FP like the plague. My point of view is that if the game is FORCING me to fileplanet, then the game simply isn't worth my time.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 10:04PM Xii said

I hope they realize how much of their potential users they are alienating. It's one thing to pay for an MMO, either through subscriptions or microtransactions, it's another thing altogether to pay for what amounts to a downloading service on top of all that. Champions Online is another recent game guilty of this.

Too bad no one has invented a protocol which enables cheap distribution by using the upload capacity of end users... something capable of pushing a veritable torrent of bits across the Internet, spreading bandwidth costs across a large-scale mesh of users... it's a pipe dream, I guess. Time to cough up $60/year for FilePlanet.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:15PM (Unverified) said

Interestingly enough, as a web based game, EE doesn't really NEED FilePlanet, yet here we are.