Posted: Aug 19th 2009 3:25AM Redwense said

While previous posts have expressed my initial doubts about this, I really can't wait to experience the positive possibilities Dust 514 will bring to New Eden.

New markets, new assets (hiring soldiers from Dust), new extents of power and political conflicts, new battlefields and communities to consider and coordinate with, new stories both by CCP and by players...

Ever since starting EVE, I always imagined what was happening on the planets below, especially on those planets that have visible thunderstorms and scorch marks. Now we know. This is going to be MASSIVE! CCP is really trying to flesh out every aspect of the EVE universe. Imagine walking in stations and observing the planetary battles raging on!

Maybe Dust will even feature frigates to directly pilot, thus fulfilling (to an extent) CCP's promise of atmospheric flight. Maybe Dust will feature resources and assets to capture and directly trade with stations in space. It would be interesting to see what would happen when a corporation of Dust players purchases a battleship from a corporation of EVE Online players, along with firearms (there is an item in-game after all) and dairy products.

And what else will be featured in Dust? Will there be player-owned cities and trade routes, becoming much more than Battlefield in the EVE universe? Will we have a planetary version of "Walking in Stations"? Will we be able to set foot in the Gallente's Crystal Boulevard? And will exotic dancers finally be usable in stations and planets?

OMG the potential!

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 4:05AM (Unverified) said

wow these comments supporting dust are completly the opposite of the raging flames and trolls in the eve online forums. i personally think that the older players of eve will clash with the younger console gamers.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 8:32AM (Unverified) said

I'm looking forward to this. I'm a 2003 Eve player and fully endorse what CCP are trying to do here. I'm not in the whole Sovereignty warfare thing at the moment but would play this even as a standalone game. Looks Very Good IMO.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 4:13AM Psychotic Storm said

I worry about the economy, dust will be new virgin without any economy established, if pilots and corps can put ISK in there and I do not see many other ways of interacting with merc corporations, their economy will be decimated by the EVE's ISK.

Plus if I see a tank costing as much as a Drake, or an assault rifle costing more than a Malkuth missile launcher I will be severely disappointed.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 3:56PM (Unverified) said

personally i think this will give eve an even more intricate gaming experience, connecting two MMO's in the same universe where players can interact between games is a brilliant idea, but i agree with what was said that it could backfire if not completely thought out in every way. eve is sweet and its about to get better hopefully

Posted: Aug 21st 2009 10:50AM (Unverified) said

Looking at the video, and what CCP is attempting to do is a huge step for both PC and Console gamers. Not to mention the benefits of combining the two technologies together successfully. But everyone, even us EVE Online players and the FPS players need to look at the whole picture as someone has stated. Dust514 will be an infant and will need improving just like EVE was an infant (and look at what it has become now). If CCP puts the ammount of effort in like they have with eve(and hopefully continues effort) then both games will be a big hit.

Seriously, with any new release there are always bugs. From the little information we have about how they are combining the 2 games. think of it this way, they are starting small to see how it goes, and later might and probably would incorprate more of both cames together. There is always a test to see what happens. Having Dust514 influence Sovereignty in eve may be that small step to see if will be possible to combine the 2.

I for one am both a PC gamer and a Console gamer. The vision of CCP on Dust is a good vision and I hope it works. It will open up many, many more opportunities in both games. When Dust514 is released, I will be trying it out.

Not a big fan of FPS, but have played some.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 8:04AM (Unverified) said

Great idea, would have been better if I could play it on my PC next to EVE.

btw. don't rate comments of people who simply say they don't like this step of CCP down, not everyone has to agree on the same things as you do.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 9:22AM (Unverified) said

i play eve online and i like 0.0 space
think there 2 differents level to consider this ccp announcement:

1) CCP related one, the idea of this is really impressive, it could really try to create a new genere, and of course will bring a lot of money in the company wallets (if is goin to work of course), more than any other Eve expansion will ever be able to do

2)player base related one, well here everyone can think what he prefers (way too few infos r available atm), if is goin to be a great game FPS players will love it, if is goin to positively affect EvE online a lot of eve players will love it too.

I honestly see something i don't like, the fact of DUST being a console game, and the possibility of console players to affect heavily the game i pay to play for whitouth me (a PC lover, with not enough money to buy a console) having the sliglty chance to say a word about it.
but ehi if is goin to be great as it might sounds i'll be the first to be happy (and like me tons of eve player) if not...well might mean the "end" of eve online

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 3:55PM Damn Dirty Ape said

I really don't see how this could be the 'end' of eve online. Even if it fails horribly, at worst Eve would just go back to being the same old game it has always been.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 4:34PM Dblade said

If Dust fails, that's a lot of money for a company like CCP to write off. We haven't seen any mid-size companies make console MMO's-usually it's larger ones like Sony, Square-Enix, or Sega that do, and they can split the risk among their other stable of games. CCP really just has EVE, and it's an all right performer, but I don't think it could save CCP if Dust tanks.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 12:41PM (Unverified) said

Hello,

It is said alot but them graphics are awesome, i keep thinking they can't improve them much more but then game makers just go that one huge leap further never mind a step!

Dan,
[URL="http://freegamesmonster.com"]Games Monster[/URL]

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 12:43PM (Unverified) said

Hello,

Dan,
Games Monster

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 1:58PM (Unverified) said

I rather like the idea. It allows for both slower methodical gameplay (EVE Online) and some more fast-paced gameplay(Dust 514). I myself am an EVE Online player, but I dont like the waiting 30 days to train one skill all that much, so this is in my mind a good supplement to a game like EVE Online.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 10:07PM Rayko said

I'm guessing 514 means it will come out next year on may 14th.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 11:03PM (Unverified) said

@ Damn Dirty Ape
Haha, yes, you're right, although not in the corp I fly with. Our corp rules include voice comms discipline, no smacking in local, only professional sounding comments in forums, etc. But yeah, plenty of that stuff can also be found in EvE.

Posted: Aug 20th 2009 6:35AM (Unverified) said

i think if the machanics of eve can be put into dust then it is a first and possibly one of the all time best games ever to hit the shelves, BUT and a BIG BUT pc players need to be able to get into this game and work it alongside there eve corps and alliances ,and help explain to the new fps players how eve works the whole structure and workings of the game. this is how strong aliances between space and land can be formed and realy put ccp's concept to work, and work it will but ccp listern to us guys that have suported you through good and bad times, and us who have paid there subscription month in month out. dont push us to one side and go play with your new consol friends no bring us all along for the ride cos the ride is going to be realy good.......

Posted: Aug 20th 2009 9:02AM (Unverified) said

I am not a FPS player but this looks like a great idea and if it works there could be lots of new interactions between the two player types. If they plan to introduce the Eve economy into Dust in some way how about Dust corps creating contracts for Eve pilots to pick up and transport marines from one planet to another.

Eve industrial types making ammo and equipment to sell to Dust players.

We (Eve players) have all seen mock ups of tactical meeting being held in space stations when / if the Walking in Stations expansion comes to life, that could include ground forces now. Imagine planning something like an Eve version of D-Day

Perhaps my son might not miss his Xbox...........

Posted: Aug 20th 2009 9:01PM (Unverified) said

I think this is amazing! As a pretty good FPS gamer i've been waiting for a game where my skills can actually change things. I've always liked the Eve universe and now i can be apart of it while still holding on to the kind of gameplay i like the most.
The only thing im worried about is if there are enough items in the game that can make an FPS player happy, and if so, how customizable it'll be. Either way i'm going to get this game

Posted: Aug 21st 2009 12:36AM (Unverified) said

The 514 means "Hard to Die" in chinese numerology. Cheers.

Posted: Aug 21st 2009 9:28AM (Unverified) said

Background: Started playing Eve early this year, live in 0.0 space with my Alliance. *Massive* CoD4:MW fan (on PC).

All I can say is the logistics of pulling this off will be mind-boggling. Already in the large-scale fleet battles we see intense lag. In saying that, in the short time I have been playing the game, they have reduced the lag 200%...providing you tell them when and where the next large battle will be (node reinforcement).

Yes, the Tranquility server can get a bit strained at times, but the reason why I went from 14-day trail account to credit card purchase was the fact CCP listen to us, and instead of having a professional forum-reader copy and paste replies to technical complaints, they listen and they fix.

I see Dust 514's perpetual universe aspect working very well with a new console gaming technology:

To have (what I'd imagine) another leading-edge server for Dust 514, and THEN having Eve and Dust 514 servers be in direct real-time communication while maintaining playable latency speeds.

Other aspects do concern me also...the market being one. Off the top of my head i think the going price for small arms in Eve is about 1000 ISK...but the average 0.0 pilot has about 100,000,000+ ISK sitting in his bank. I'll shake my head if the answer is to make the Dust 514 items/upgrades comparable to the ships modules/modifications.

I can rant on longer but I'll close with this; I support CCP, although I strongly advise they prepare for a complete failure of Dust 514 and have a contingency plan to make sure Eve isn't dragged down with it. And if they pull it off, I am more than happy to go out and buy a console, set it up next to my computer and have my capsuleer-self fly over the head of my marine-self, both in combat.

Waiting in Anticipation,
Red

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM