Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:19AM Stanzig said

Eve has always been a game where you should almost always trust nobody unless you know them in RL or from other games you've played with them in the past. I can't see large corporations trusting random fpsfan001 with securing ground for them.

I'm guessing in most cases you won't be depending on another mmo's
playerbase. Most likely a good number of people that play eve will
be interested in this ground war and will become leaders of dust
corporations which will then set the standard for communication between the two games. Then you will have the eve-players recruited friends who love
halo, cod, etc. Last you will have everone else who has never played
eve and just think Dust looks like fun. This really could boost eve's subscription numbers. Especially if they give some kind of package deal if you play both games.

On top of Netflix and Pandora I have another reason to finally buy a
console!

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:41PM yojibalinese said

Still... If the Dust players are concidered Mercs, this fits in pretty well. They aren't suppose to care too much about Sov. They just bid out their services to the dude willing to pay the most. I think it's very realistic and an awesome premise!

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:01AM Rimshot0 said

This is sending a chill down my spine. I don't currently own a console and I don't have a subscription to EVE, but this video is making me think about purchasing both.

Obviously, you will see a lot of console FPS players sign up for an EVE account so they can be a part of the fleet even though what they really like is doing the FPSing on the ground. All of this in a truly sandbox MMO!?! I think it's genius.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:08AM DrewIW said

• 1 heart
I'm so glad that someone with absolutely zero previous investment in EVE can affect sov.

No really, I'm thrilled that CCP has decided to add sov mechanics that are completely outside the control of EVE players.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:22AM (Unverified) said

Not only is EVE a bad ass game that I am a part of. But it now looks like that finally, they may, hopefully, hopefully, make a new planetside. There is a legion of planetside fans that all agree that it was the most fun they had ever had. As a former planetside player, expect me to buy a ps3 or xbox just to play this game.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:28AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Dust 514? Let me guess, you die permanently (Turn to dust?) after 514 clonings?

Maybe I've been outside the loop, but the idea of going from a PC to console to make an FPS doesn't hold much weight with me. Particularly if you are going to create a massive environment, I cannot see a console controller doing well with any of that. I could see EvE being a console game and Dust being a PC game being a much more enjoyable (By aggregate) time for everyone. But then oviously CCP must know this. Still, console FPS titles aren't really a great attraction for me personally. Hopefully when they talk about integration, they really will turn it into one game eventually, with Ambulation being the bridge?

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:32AM Dread said

• Half a heart
Console FPS??

How ghey.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 11:57AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Ok so let me get this straight.PC players get to fly around in what's just about the only space based mmo that let's control something larger then a fighter and consoles players get ANOTHER fps.......Way fuck it all up CCP.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:11PM (Unverified) said

Alot are saying what about Eve players and sov? who cares?

I promise I will give you $5,000 if you can capture all territory in Eve on your own, and you must be against IRON / Northern Coalition, Goonswarm, Pandemic Legion and all of their blues.

.... Its impossible.

This brings a different challenge as it will break they sovereignty massively (hopefully) and shrink them down to size properly.

ps. Never played planetside but heard it was totally awesome and am looking forward to this.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 1:23AM (Unverified) said

I played Planetside 2 different times and both times & I loved it & it's an awesome game, but for me only for about 3 days because it was repetitive with no storyline missions. No feeling of reason. Land ownership changed too quickly like in less then a half day.

But CCP just HAVE to know better then that, I would think.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:12PM Dirame said

And to continue my speculation, the connection between EVE and DUST should come from the development of COSMOS which will completely bridge the gap between the two games effectively removing most of the initial worries of how both games will play alongside each other.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:18PM (Unverified) said

So far, I think the existing eve players commenting are being remarkably short-sighted. This won't be a matter of handing sov to players you don't know with no vested interest in eve. Warfare won't change either. Dust players will have to earn trust to get important assignments, rep will be make or break just as it is in eve, and the way to a player's heart will be through his pocketbook, just as it is now. Dust players will have a vested interest in that it seems their funding and job possibilities will be dependent on the eve playerbase. Your employer will be taking care of you, so of course you'll have an interest. Payment will probably be contingent on failure or success, through something like eve's existing contract system. In the future existing corps will now no doubt have standing armies that are part of the corp, people they can trust to fight for them.

I cancelled my eve account about six months ago, but this could make me reactivate in a heartbeat. For those with qualms, think about this from all angles and I think you'll begin to realize some of the exciting possibilities this opens up.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:50PM (Unverified) said

Not short-sighted as it were, rather a realist. What CCP is seemingly doing is bringing not only two different platforms together (console/PC) but cultures as well. FPS players and sandbox PC strategists to combine under one banner, one cause. Its ambitious, and implemented well can be revolutionary in the MMO marketplace. But they have significant challenges in appeasing both markets. They really need to take cautionary tales from releases such as Hellgate, TR, etc. and make sure Dust is as rock-solid as EVE is, or both will wither on the vine...

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:23PM (Unverified) said

Never let it be said that CCP fail to dream big. This is ambitious and aggressive positioning on their part, but it goes a long way to silence some of the critics who said that CCP's partnership with White Wolf was an unholy attempt to drain software development resources into World of Darkness and leave the EVE universe to wither... As an environment with no clear "end game", EVE needs big bold moves to evolve. As always, the proof will be in how well they execute, but I give them credit for their vision- I know my corporation is eager to get our land based troops into the fray.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 3:13AM s33ker said

If I was the leadership of an 0.0 space-holding alliance, I would be pissed.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:28PM (Unverified) said

Finally, somebody talking some sense. This is a visionary move on CCP's part, and in my opinion it deserves nothing but adulation. It's just one more step in making Eve seem like more of a world than a game. I'm no stranger to corp warfare, and this addition makes me flushed with excitement.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 12:35PM (Unverified) said

Can someone explain why? Because you'll have to recruit people into your guild that don't fly spaceships? Because your fleet warfare will be only part of a greater whole? I'm not seeing the downside. It's just a new pool of players you'll have to find a way to trust, just as you have to put trust in your fleet pilots now.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 1:05PM Damn Dirty Ape said

This is a fantastic (and refreshing) direction for Eve and MMOs in general. It's about time someone tried something different instead of just rehashing and/or recycling an existing MMO (sorry Aion and Champions Online).

My only hope is that they make the game feel truly massive (sort of like Planetside) instead of just splitting people up into 32 person deathmatches with the winner adding a '1' to a 'who has SOV' cell somewhere on an Eve server spreadsheet.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 1:23PM Slob Zombie said

I've been thinking the same thing. I guess breaking it down into deathmatches could still be a good game (it'd be like playing Halo or CoD, but with persistent mechanics), but I'd rather see this be a full fledged MMO with more of a "world" to it, something like Planetside. I actually don't know a ton about that game, just played some trials, but I get the feeling that it's a lot bigger than a series of lobbies and deathmatches.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 1:10PM (Unverified) said

If CCP can combine a console FPS with the EVE MMO and make both parties happy they are f*****g gods!

I can't think of two more extreme ends of the spectrum: EVE vs the Xbox Live, jeezus. If it was any other company but CCP I'd already be cackling with morbid glee at the sight of another nail in the coffin of games in general, but if anyone can pull it off it's these folks.

I hope they go with the PS3 though, that platform has a much higher age demographic and probably attention span. Unless they plan on CoD in space, then meh to it :)

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014