Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:22PM (Unverified) said

I've been in beta for months and I will not be buying this game.

First, this is a console game, it plays like one. If you don't have a controller you wil have a difficult time
Second the zone are small, very small. The Canadian one is much bigger that wow's dwarf starting area or Loping plains in eq2.
What's worse is that you will have a level 5 group 20 feet from level 12s.
Or you cross a river and go from level 8 to 25.
If you need a specific mob for a kill X quest there are usual only a half dozen of them total in the zone. All in one spot.

$50 for the game + $15/mo + rmt store. KMA.

They need to at least quadruple the size of the game.
IMHO this game is equivalent to DDO unlimited.
I'd pay $20 for the game, and buy level thru the RMT store AFTER they have made some drastic improvements.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:17PM Aganazer said

Buy level through the RMT store? Good luck with that.

Posted: Aug 20th 2009 1:29AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I really needed a 105-key keyboard to press the same 4 buttons over and over in WoW... Oh wait, that's why I started playing WoW with a controller about 2 years ago and it worked great.

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 4:47AM (Unverified) said

From the article: After the tutorial and 2 "Crisis" zones, the zone cap is 200 people.

In response to Isanox:
1. IMO this game, like most all others, is easier with a keyboard. I have no issues using mouse/keyboard and I can see where others would prefer a controller.
2. Zones:
The tutorial portion in Millenium City is a small zone - The quest explain this with an invisible force shield holding the Champion HQ hostage with an alien invasion.

The "Crisis" Zones:
Desert and Canada - You're given the choice to help a "crisis" situation by picking either low level zone, each being completed by taking on a low lvl super villian. After completion / crisis avoided the zone grows tenfold.

Once you've reached this point there are now 5 rather large zones to fly/swing/jump/teleport/tunnel around. Highly detailed on every city block and ocean floor.
_

3. Most games have lvl "x" mob across the river from lvl "XX" mob. This rarely occurs if you stay the course, but when you can fly who wants to stay on course :)

4. As for needing a specific mob, what MMO doesn't have this quest. The spawn rate is relatively fast when needing a "named" target.

Like 3 & 4 the rest of your comment is lacking. For those taking the time to read about Champions Online, I would highly recommend it.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:31PM (Unverified) said

So is this like a part one of 2 or 3 or 4? B/c I'd like to ask you some questions on your impressions, but I want to read your fully fleshed out thoughts.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:35PM Seraphina Brennan said

Shoot away JP! Always more than willing to answer questions, if not in the article, then certainly here. But, more often than not, it would go in the article because I talk too much. :D

And to be specific, we're looking at about 3 parts for this one, all this week.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:42PM (Unverified) said

I'll just wait until after part 3.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:50PM (Unverified) said

From my understanding the small zone cap is only when you first enter the zone. For example with the Canadian zone you have that storm locking you into a small area to begin with..once you take care of that the zone opens up and the player cap rises too.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 6:16PM Psychotic Storm said

that is correct.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:02PM Wisdomandlore said

Targeting isn't much better with a mouse and keyboard. Clicking on anything (object, NPC, etc) is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it clicks on something you weren't even aiming for. Using tab (autotarget) is also hit or miss, like you said.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:27PM (Unverified) said

One thing I've discovered is that there's nearly a whole page of options dedicated to targeting. You can change the behavior of tab-targeting and auto-targeting to suit your tastes. I used to struggle with targeting too, until I tweaked it around a bit. (I like tab- and auto-targeting to start from the center of the screen, not from the nearest mob like the default.)

Sadly, however, options aren't global so you'll have to change it for every character.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:04PM saintnicster said

[quote]Lastly comes the items. It's not the items I have a problem with, it's how the game pops up a "comparison window" to the stuff you're currently wearing. However, if you're not wearing anything, it pops up 3 windows that all display the item your hovering over. Also, even if you are wearing items, the game can't seem to pull up the two that you're wearing and properly compare it to the one your mousing over. The comparison windows take up valuable screen resource space if you're running in 1024x768 like me, so I wasn't digging that at all.[/quote]

When was the last time you played? Cause as of last night, this had appeared to be fixed.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:20PM Aganazer said

Yeah, the first day they introduced the compare feature it was all messed up. Practically made me sick just trying to figure out what item I was looking at. It seems fine now though.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:22PM Seraphina Brennan said

Well good news there. I've been unable to get the game to patch until, well, half an hour ago, so my information was slightly dated. I'm back in now, and part two of the series this week will add any changes or improvements that I see.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 5:57PM cray said

For future beta reviews I recommend you posting the time & date of your gameplay so there isn't any misconceptions about the game.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 6:05PM Vitamin Dei said

I'm feeling so very, very conflicted on this one. It looks gorgeous, has a framework that I could shoehorn any old thing into, a lineage I'm familiar with in Champions and offers the coveted lifetime subscription option...

Difficult decisions ahead. I'll be glued to the coverage. :)

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 6:12PM urgan said

No offense, but if you're running 1024x768, and you're a video game columnist? You must be living in a third world country or really hate your job.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 6:15PM Seraphina Brennan said

GeForce 8800GT = Runs in OMG RESOLUTION.
Old Monitor = Runs in 1024x768 maximum.
Journalist = Poor.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 6:42PM urgan said

I can't tell if the comment system is being slow or if it didn't take my previous comment

You could always ask the office to get you a new monitor (they aren't expensive) as a tax write off, or put up a donation box on your blog (it would only take maybe 10 people donating to get you a new one).

Sorry, its just a personal pet peeve. I really hate to see someone have to do their job without appropriate tools.

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 8:38PM (Unverified) said

I think as stated in one of the previous posts there are some settings you can do without, i believe the comic lining and bloom were 2 of those mentioned, i personally dont have a super rig, but its well over the recommended and the settings the game puts it at seem a tad over confident and i personally turned down the amount of destruction on the ground.

there are some tweaking guides out there on the co forums and im sure the more people play the more refined those guides will become, i personally think once i can get it running smooth ill be happy as

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014