Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:02AM Arkanaloth said

@Arnie

gawd I hated that mission.. more often than not you'd get a team on the other side that would just randomly quit. The first time I actually finished that mission was with running it with myself, my heroes, henchmen and a 100% AI team on the other side.

Also the mission "Unwaking Waters" is done the same way, a Kurzick team and a Luxon team together go up against Kuunavang. She's an easy fight as long as you don't do something crazy like bring melee to a mage fight. ^_^

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 9:46AM wjowski said

Instancing, when done right, can be just as immersive, if not moreso, than an open world setting.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:01AM (Unverified) said

I really like the instancing system like Guild Wars did it, even more than the system of EVE Online with just one server. i think the link in betweeen is that there no realms, which i really dislike (because it's annoying to not being able to play with friends just because they are on a different realm).

So i hope that the instancing system of GW will return.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:33AM (Unverified) said

I like both. There's no reason a good MMO can't deliver both, so I don't both choosing a favorite.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:36AM (Unverified) said

I really love open worlds like Vanguard for example. But when the thing gets too crowded you get the boss-campers into play, which isn't very fun at all. In the end developers have to make a choice between both, which is a really though choice to make.

You can of course have both in one game. But I like it when the world is totally open, and anyone can pop-up at any given time. I like to have a kind of immersive experience. One that gives me the fantasy of being part of an open world, rather than some part of the world where no one can come and I'm all alone with my buddies.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:02AM (Unverified) said

I like instances as long as friends can join me easily. I really like how EVE Online does it where it doesn't seem like an instance, but it is.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:20AM Atnor said

Much prefer open dungeons. I really dont like instances, and it is SO hard to have them done well. I espcially like Vanguard's "no instance" policy. They did use "shard" tech for their large raid dungeon, and overland raid target lockout timers, but for the most part completely open world, including regular group dungeons.

It made the world much more immersive in my opinion. With instances, I feel other players are way too separated. There were many times in Vanguard and say, old EQ, or even a lot of EQ2, where a part of the game was coordinating with other groups, or helping out or buffing or joining up with smaller groups or individuals in dungeons. Those benefits very much outweigh any negatives like "boss camping" for me.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:52PM (Unverified) said

Depends on the community. With a good community, an open dungeon could be very cool. Especially if it was PvP if you want as well. With a good community an open-PvP game is great, adds realism and all that. And there won't be people attacking you in mid-fight or whatever, adds lots of roleplay as well.

However, given 99% of games have a horrible community (this is the internet after all) instanced is the way to go.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:37PM (Unverified) said

I do somewhat like the old open dungeons, in particular the AO variety. However, the one thing that always bothers me is the re-spawn. It just really ruins the illusion and feeling of accomplishment to have all the monsters magically reappear like pop-up targets in a shooting gallery. For that reason I like instanced so I can really clean the place out and have it (for the most part) stay that way.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:20PM Cendres said

Open world, instanced dungeons. :)

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:37PM LaughingTarget said

Nothing screams immersion like waiting for a "unique" named guy to pop into existence from the ether.

/sarcasm

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:56PM J Brad Hicks said

Open world, instanced dungeons, for some of the same reasons stated above (like hating spawn camping, and hating mob respawn), and one more: instances can be programmed to adjust to your level and your team size. Not all games do it, but City of Heroes has utterly spoiled me on this feature: I can take a level 30-34 mission at level 30, and know that the end boss will be level 30, not level 34. Or I can take it at level 34, and know that it'll be level 34. If I recruit people to help me, the mob spawns that I haven't cleared will increase in size to match our team size. If it's too easy for me or too hard at my current difficulty settings, I can adjust the difficulty and the spawns that I haven't cleared yet will spawn accordingly. All very lovely functionality, and completely impossible in a non-instanced dungeon.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 7:31PM (Unverified) said

I'd have to vote for open dungeons with instanced bosses.
It was one of the few things that worked in WAR.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 9:16PM chuckasucka said

open world, but have the world big enough so that players wont spawn camp.

touchee me, touchee.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 9:53PM (Unverified) said

If it is open world, it needs to have instanced raids. Waiting hours for a boss spawn is tedius and frustrating. If the open world has pvp and does not have instanced raids, you end up in a situation where the first clan to get to and beat the open world bosses then control the bosses forever (they are still camping the bosses when the next clan gets to the bosses, but the clan with the better dps gets the kill). This kills competition. So, you have to have instanced raids in an open world MMO. The instanced raids need to have the same rewards as the best open world bosses to prevent "boss lockdown" and ensure competition on the server. Otherwise competition suffers and people quit. Go play a bad MMO like Granado Espada where there is no instanced raids and everything is open world... there is no competition and players not in special clans quit. Having both open world bosses and instanced dungeon bosses is fine, but if the game doesnt have instances and the instances are not rewarding the game suffers for all but the top clans.