Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:07AM Tom in VA said

Wow. I certainly never expected this. I love the Guild Wars model: it's a wonderful option for players like me who find subscriptions hard to justify financially.

I am guessing there will be MT as well, though, such as purchasing extra character slots and so on.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:14AM (Unverified) said

about time some one else did it

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:17AM Firebreak said

I was hoping this is the way they would go.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:23AM Dlangar said

Just a couple of things I think you guys should be clear on.

First, the link above that says "from the company's official faq" is actually a link to another article at Rock Paper Shotgun, which is also claiming the same thing.

Also, according to the actual faq, what it says is "a subscription will not be necessary to play APB". What it does not say is that APB will be subscription free, and what I suspect is far more likely the case, is that APB will have a velvet rope model that is quickly becoming the de-facto standard billing model among new MMO's.

Dlangar

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:43AM BIZKeT said

I like the 'velvet rope' model. If done well I get exactly what I want out of a game without paying for the cruft that I don't care about. Some days I feel like the only person that doesn't bristle at the idea of micro transactions.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:01AM (Unverified) said

Same here. I wish that the triple A titles would move from the sub based to MT based model. Nice to see some games are going that direction. Even if I have little interest in APB (from what I've seen so far).

Posted: Aug 18th 2009 4:07AM tRaFiK said

Considering the setting of the game, it may not be "full on" with MTs.

It's an urban game where I'm sure they could put advertisments and billboards etc into the game without being intrusive or detrimental to the game. This would give them a massive boost in funding, alongside MTs.

But I'm just speculating. I like to speculate, especially speculating what underwear that blond is wearing that just walked by my shop...

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 11:18PM fatpanda said

I speculate none ;) I'm the BEST at speculaiton

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 10:44AM Miffy said

• 1 heart
thats cus it ain't an mmo like Guild wars isn't.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:34AM (Unverified) said

LOL. That's an opinion.

GW is:
Massive? check
Multiplayer? check
Online? check

Looks like a mother fucking MMOg to me.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:04PM Its Utakata stupid said

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Posted: Aug 19th 2009 11:22PM fatpanda said

GW isn't really massive as IMO. Massive IMO means thousands of people not 48 people per instance.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:07PM (Unverified) said

OH MY GOD! Ive been following this game for a while and wasnt sure if I should get Aion or APB (Tried Aion though these past two beta tests - not entirely asure if im going to like APB but it sounds kick ass!).
I just opened massively to look at the news from the MMO front and see this. I am speechless. Seriously! I want to let out a really loud HELL YES! but no one around me will understand so Im letting out my happiness in the form of wards here on MMO. Hope you understand. And yes Im an adult... I sound like a little kid at christmas that has just arrived what he really wanted :P

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 11:19AM KDWhite said

"thats cus it ain't an mmo like Guild wars isn't."

That seems relevant.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:09PM Softserve said

Well this went from a "probably" (I loved Crackdown and this looks sweet) to a hellz yeah pre-order.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:10PM (Unverified) said

They had said this a while ago in one of their Q&A podcasts. It's why I'm interested in the game, along with the customization.

Not having a subscription just means that the game will get huge numbers, and keep them, unlike the typical subscription MMO.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:21PM (Unverified) said

Respect.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:03PM pid said

I'm contrary to the bend the market is taking. Pay attention to APB, CrimeCraft and (in some months or years?) Blue Mars: they all have a *VERY* thick layer of fashion and RMT. If they get it their way, many social aspects of MMOs will actually become *COMMODITIES*, directly bound to real money.

So, to be "up-to-date", each month you'll have to buy your avatar a new fashion T-shirt, or your old outdated outfit will mark you as someone who's not in the "elite" tier of the game's society. Or, the other way round, buy the fashion stuff *FOR REAL* and get it posted to your home, so you can wear the same stuff your avatar wears. Or better, yet, see what players prefer and derive from it REAL-WORLD fashion articles and style.

I don't know, I don't like this at all!

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 3:28PM (Unverified) said

I think you're overreacting and blowing things out of proportion slightly more than way too much.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 5:26PM archipelagos said

It's very possible. It's not that much of a stretch to see the current elitist attitude towards high-end PvE gear shift towards the gear that changes how you look. It's something to certainly watch and see how it develops.