Posted: Aug 16th 2009 6:39PM (Unverified) said

I always find pirates funny to deal with. I've had a ship destroyed a couple of times by them and it never made any sense, and was entertaining to me that they demanded a ransom AFTER they've destroyed the item that was most valuable to me. Most pilots have learned by now to undertake risky ventures using jump clones or not using expensive implants. What sort of inconvenience and cost is being caused to me after my ship has been destroyed? I simply refuse any demands for ransom and I'll blow up my own pod before I give them a dime. I'll just have a clone wake up, pick up my insurance check and be on my way again in 20 minutes.

Posted: Aug 16th 2009 6:47PM Brendan Drain said

In my experience, ransoms are best done when the ship is in structure and isn't a threat rather than when the pilot is in a pod. But the fact that there's a bubble up means you know they'll get your pod too and that adds some isk to the potential ransom demand. If you can trust them to honour the ransom, that is. Some of the most well known pirate corps like Veto have a strict policy of honouring ransoms so that victims can more readily trust Veto members.

The difference between being podded in normal space and being podded in wormhole space is significant because you'll need someone inside the system to scan down a wormhole that you can use to get back in. I've heard a few horror stories of entire corps being killed and nobody having any characters left in their home system with probes. Since the odds of stumbling across the system again by chance are astronomical, they lost the system and all their equipment and ships stored at their POS there.

Posted: Aug 16th 2009 7:34PM (Unverified) said

This. This is just another aspect that makes EvE heads taller then any other mmo out there. The fact that this sandbox game is so advanced in what it dose you can really play the game how ever you want . it makes me gitty thinking about the possibilitys.

Posted: Aug 16th 2009 9:42PM Wgraves said

great article, as usual!
I didnt know the bit about the afterburner, that will come in handy.
You can, and we have, ransomed a POS, not all that hard just somewhat time consuming, and its best to find an undefended POS.

My corp is finishing up our move to a class 5 and are hoping for many more WH adventures to come!

shameless plug-
splu.guildlaunch.com
we now have (mostly) open forums, please feel free to read!

Posted: Aug 16th 2009 10:55PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
The Eve articles on this site s disproportionate to the number of people who visit this site that actually play the game.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 12:59AM GaaaaaH said

What, the second largest MMO population is too small?

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:06AM (Unverified) said

I'm a reader who quit Eve halfway into the 10-day trial, doesn't have time for much other than WoW, and probably wouldn't be willing to spend the time to get up to speed in Eve or deal with the hassles of travel or losing stuff through PvP

I love reading the Eve stories though.

I'd be thrilled if this depth of coverage was given to other games so I could absorb their lore, mechanics, and player culture without having to buy and play.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 1:28AM (Unverified) said

So what? In many other games, where news a limited to addition of a new RMT pony or announcement of patch 3.2.1.0.

So EVE make way more material that is interesting to read for non-players. Besides, it's different enough from the stream of cookie-cutter fantasy titles.

Posted: Aug 17th 2009 4:15PM Mynxee said

Great article, and quite timely. Our pirate alliance has been discussing this topic for weeks with plans to set up a wormhole base. I have just done so and am looking forward to some fun times in the middle of nowhere.

Posted: Aug 20th 2009 12:20PM (Unverified) said

Great article Nyphur, it is always a pleasure reading your work; you go into every single detail about any topic you write about. I enjoyed reading this article and it has given me a great advantage of Worm Hole Exploration and Preparation even though it will be quite some time before I dare enter Unknown Space.

A lot of work goes into your articles, I only hope people appreciate the work that share with us.

Fantastic, great work!