Posted: Aug 12th 2009 10:06AM (Unverified) said

GO Turbine!

I've yet to play one of their games, but any developer w/ their track record that hasn't yet sold-out to the bigger corps (*wave* Hi Cryptic, Mythic and NetDevil) I'm more interested in seeing them succeed. Matter of fact, I may try LOTRO just b/c I know you all are... well... keepin' it rheeeel.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 11:56AM (Unverified) said

Few people remember this but back in the asheron's call and asheron's call 2 days they were bought by Microsoft. Microsoft wanted into the MMO business and so they just went out and bought a company. Those years were pretty disastrous for Turbine, luckily they were able to buy themselves out back from Microsoft and become indie again, possibly why they're in no hurry to sellout to a major publisher they did that dance before and realized it sucks.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 10:09AM TheJackman said

Blizzard not always was a giant company, they started out in February 1991 under a other name just with 4 people doing ports of games...

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 10:12AM TheJackman said

They did work there way up like mad with a lot of really good single player games that even today are still in the top 10 of most played games in the world!! Before they start working on World of Warcraft .... Warcraft was already a big name....

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 10:59AM (Unverified) said

Turbine is one plucky studio. I'm keeping my DDO and LOTRO subs alive despite inactivity, so consider that my investment.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 11:42AM (Unverified) said

I've got a lot of respect for Turbine. It's nice to see them going strong after all these years despite their ups and downs. They just seem to have more of a genuine passion for the genre.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 1:06PM (Unverified) said

Playing Asheron's Call right now!

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 12:29PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The most overhyped gaming developer in history of mmos I think. DDO was horrible and they did an awful job with LOTRO.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 12:50PM (Unverified) said

Huh?????

Have you actually ever PLAYED LotRO???

It is an extremely good game. Well thought out, love of the genre evident in every single corner of the game. They gameplay may not appeal to everyone, but there is no denying the quality of the game...

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 1:12PM (Unverified) said

Overhyped because you dont like their games?

Makes sense.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 1:13PM (Unverified) said

"as in order to run the games they need the financial backing of other companies to survive"

I hope what you really mean is that in order to develop additional games they need the funding of venture capitalists. If they need financial backing from other companies in order to RUN their games, then the games aren't profitable so why would anyone invest in them?

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 6:57PM (Unverified) said

That's why they mention DDO and LotrO : ).

Explanation: DDO is getting a major revamp - completely new f2p hybrid system, absolute novum in MMO genre, plus many content / performance / polish updates.

And secondly, Turbine is the first developer to say they're working on console MMO in western market. People speculate - could it be new version of DDO? LotrO? Or maybe different IP?

In recent interview for TenTonHammer Turbine's high-ranked member said they've acquired some IP of the size of D&D or LotrO... That adds even more. They already have 2 of the biggest non-virtual IPs now, so what could it be this time?

All those above infos show that they are doing great and a lot of faith has been put into them from their investors. Which translates into money. We should remember that those investors know many specifics, maybe even played something we don't even know about. That's usual.

In my opinion however... What IP can be of the size of D&D or LotrO? I guess there's none left... But maybe they meant "of as big financial potential". There were speculations about Harry Potter MMO for Turbine, but it's very old one nothing confirmed it ever.

Starman --> combat? It's WoW or WAR like combat in LotrO, just made better sometimes. If you really seek good combat, check D&D Online. There's no better out there.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 2:53PM Lateris said

I love the fact that Turbine treats their community with some respect. I hope Turbine grows. More and more of my friends from WoW and SWG have left that game to play LOTRO and have stuck with it like myself. It is a great game. I hope Turbine does not have a ton of debt hanging over their heads. I can see them making at least $ 17,982,000 off of LOTRO a year for full paid subscriptions of 14.99- I hope! I wonder what the over head costs can be for health insurance, salaries, assets, and bandwidth. Man it really adds up. I hope their investors get the return. I had a few million I would invest. Do they have stocks?

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 5:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
The game world is dull, the combat is average at best and how do you make a mmo where the story is about good vs evil and not be able to play Mordor side ? PVMP is awful! It has pretty good graphics and a decent story but other than that it is far from anything it should be. Some just let Turbine off the hook because they love the LOTR ip.

Posted: Aug 14th 2009 5:07PM agitatedandroid said

Some of us actually love the game. Don't go trying to read our minds. I happen to like LOTRO because they don't have the typical faction based PvP. I'm sorry it's not your bag but it is mine.