Posted: Aug 12th 2009 11:56PM SgtBaker said

• 1 heart
I was initially very excited about the game, but the more I've read about it - the less I actually want to play it. In fact it's reached the level where I'm just not even going to bother to try. It's one of those cases where pre-hype and marketing has totally killed any interest I might have had for the game.

But that's just my own very subjective feeling about it. I certainly wish them good luck and I really hope the game does well and I think the industry could use some real competition, so if they're going after WoW - more power to them!

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 12:32AM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
Ask that Mythic Entertainment how it did go... You may have to write to Bioware like it look that they got the true power over them now :D

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 12:06AM J Brad Hicks said

• Half a heart
No shock that they want MiniTrue to shove Tabula Rasa down the memory hole. You know what TaRa had that Aion doesn't? SOME SEMBLANCE OF A PLAUSIBLE REASON PEOPLE WOULD BUY IT.

Aion: tired grindey gameplay, customer-rejected open-world PvP model, the same 4 boring classes and the same 8 subclasses as every other generic MMO since UO, and hardware requirements that mean that probably fewer than 50,000 people in the US can run it at all well, but just because it lets you fly for a few seconds at a time, they think it's going to sell half a million or more copies? NCsoft knows less than nothing about the American MMO market, and has clearly slept through the last several years.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 12:59AM Neurasthenic said

Would you play the damn game, please? I can't believe how much misinformation people are spewing whenever Aion comes up. It's like just because it's not made in AMERICA that you xenophobic Joe Schmoes feel threatened by it or something.

The thing that really bugs me is when people like you try to say nobody will be able to run this game. If you play ANY recent MMO on the market you can play Aion. And it will probably run even smoother and look better. So until you try the game, stop spreading your idiotic lies.

But you'll do what everyone else seems to be doing. You won't bother to play it, you'll just continue knocking the "grindy" gameplay. If by grindy you mean extremely polished and entertaining.

I really wish there was some way we could put a disclaimer before every post on Massively. "Warning: This person has not played the game that he is running his mouth about, take his false information with a grain of salt".

I'm not saying that 100% of people who play Aion will think it's the greatest thing ever. I could care less if you don't like the game. Just don't spread lies about something you won't bother to research for yourself.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 12:34AM TheJackman said

• 1 heart
Better go see this review lol:

Love the "swimming" part lol! And your 45 sec flying lol

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 1:09AM jwoelich said

Yup, video review by a WoWtard that things WoW is the pinacle of gaming.

Off-topic, but...

Jack, is English your native language? If so...wow. Just...wow.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 1:12AM Naoki7 said

This is not only hilarious, but also 100% accurate, which I declare based on my own personal experiences in the CBT's.

Fishing? No! SOUL SUCKING! OF FISH!!

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 1:15AM TheJackman said

English is not my native language.... :P

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 8:50AM MrGutts said

Your flying time increases as you go up in levels. 45 seconds is the time you get when you first get your wings at level 10.. Also from the looks of it, he didn't even get past level 10. That's one hell of a game review.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 9:28AM Tom in VA said

Thanks for posting that link, Jack. It was very funny.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 12:34AM (Unverified) said

As someone who was a huge fan of Tabula Rasa, that statement alone ensures that I'll never buy another NCsoft product again. I guess they never heard the old adage about 'Those who forget history...'

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 2:20AM Yoh said

... are doomed to repeat it. Yes, good quote.

While I never played TR, I was disgusted that NCsoft's handling of it.
And now to essentially piss on it's grave...... fuck you NCsoft, fuck you.

And they have the gall to say Aion is going to be 2nd only to WoW...... well fucking forgive me for not taking your word on that one.

Seeing as everyone else is making predictions today, I'm going to go ahead an do so as well.
It's going to be mild. I don't think it's going to do as bad as AoC or War, as it is very solid, but at the same time it is as vanilla as vanilla can get.
Par for the course. And I'm sorry, that just isn't enough anymore.

I'd expect maybe Lotro numbers, maybe GW numbers if they get lucky, but I can't see it doing much better then that frankly. But we'll see in a couple of months.

I'm just counting the minutes to just how long it will be before NCsoft puts a dogshit bullet into it.

~Yoh

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 1:29AM (Unverified) said

Ever play RF Online, Lineage 2 or any of the other Asian MMO imports? They all feature two "Gs"; Grinding and Ganking. This game is no different. Don't believe that is was developed for any market other than the east and don't believe that this one has been modified in any significant way to appeal to western audiences (aside from removing the point and click interface in lieu of the western WASD interface).

If you enjoy GG games then this is your cup of tea but if you don't, steer clear until it hits the bargain bin in four months or they start offering the free trials. At very least, wait for the hands on reviews that will back up what I'm saying but do your wallet a favor and DON'T believe the hype. Aion's launch will be no different than AoC or War.

If you got burned on the last two titles, wake up and realize that people get paid a lot of money to get you to pre-buy a game sight unseen.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 1:58AM Droniac said

AoC failed because its beta and early segments (and thus reviews) were exceptionally good in comparison to the rest of the game. This is not the case with Aion, because we can already play up to level 30 (out of 50) in beta and have seen that there is no Tortage effect.

WAR failed because it was a pile of utter crap and marketed as the most innovative thing ever to grace the MMO market (when it offered nothing new aside from public quests and a horrible PvE implementation). Aion will not suffer from this either, because it isn't marketed as the most innovative thing ever, nor is it horribly unfinished, incomplete and bug-ridden.

The Aion situation does not resemble AoC/WAR in the slightest. Those were incomplete and wrongly marketed games, Aion is not. For that reason alone, Aion will retain a much larger portion of its initial subscribers.

As for those two Gs, I take it you have yet to participate in the Aion beta? Aion leans much more towards Guild Wars than it does towards Lineage in terms of gameplay, setting and interface. So you'll encounter genuine quests and will generally be able to level up without grinding whatsoever, especially with patch 1.5 which will be the launch version and introduces what, 1500 new quests? Quite different from L2 (90% grind) and RFO (100% grind).

Also, given the fact that all it needs to do to finish 2nd in the current market is beat EVE Online (300.000-350.000 subs) I don't think that's an unrealistic goal. It's the first genuinely well-polished p2p MMO to be released in years, that alone will do wonders for its subscriber figures.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 2:08AM (Unverified) said

After reading these comments i am sooo ashamed and embarrassed to be living in the west.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 9:22PM (Unverified) said

I second that!

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 11:52AM Cendres said

Right there with you brother! :S

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 3:03AM Graill440 said

Aion wont be an anything killer, to much is being left like it is overseas, that alone will turn off westerners. As for game play, anything new, pretty and shiny will be interesting for a bit........then it will fade..........then Lani and company will have left because of some reason or another.

Then Aion will have the same sub numbers as EVE and a few others, roughly 150k and lower PAYING subs.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 4:06AM SkuzBukit said

Aion will gain "Game tourists" for it's first few months, as soon as it's competition release expansions it's numbers will drop hard & fast.

I've played it through the Chinese beta & the recent open beta at a friends, now he is a rabid fanboy but when I ask him why he likes it, he just says "because I do" & for those that feel the same as he does Aion will become their game, just because they like it.

For me I found the game to be too shallow & vague, too generic, no real strong identity of it's own at all, the developers should from the ground up have thought about building an IP first & then make a game based on it, rather than creating a game & then trying to give it an identity after, everything I've seen in Aion feels like it has been done better elsewhere.

The game looks too "clean" it needs some balls, some grit, some originality, it simply didn't grab me at all, if I use an analogy, it needed to be a Blade Runner in a market full of clean "brave new world" sci-fi films, AoC tried & failed to do that, so did Warhammer, someone needs to make an MMO that is to gaming what Blade Runner was to Sci-Fi films, deep gritty dirty & easier to relate to even whilst still being escapism.

Ultimately Aion for me was too ethereal & esoteric it has far too big a disconnect & is more like a fuzzy sugary daydream than a brutal alternate reality, it felt soulless & shallow, & I wont be wasting my money on it.

If NCSoft think it will wash away their Tabula Rasa sins they are smoking crack.

Posted: Aug 13th 2009 4:44AM (Unverified) said

took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm going to take a risk on Champions Online and hopefully it holds me over until SW:TOR. It seems to have the most personality of any new MMOs i've seen.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014