Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:11AM (Unverified) said

It's really hard to say WHICH game has the best PUGs... I have played many MMOs, from WAR, WoW, EVE, LoTRO, AoC, Vanguard, GW to a few others...

Now, for sure WoW has the worse community, and the PUGs there are filled with self obcessed 12 year olds 90% of the time... but... having said that, WoW does have something other games don't - and that is the the huge number of players. Keep in mind on WoW there is a very good chance of getting into a PUG into the first place, whereas in some other games, especially in the games with small number of players, it can be incredibly hard to get enough people together for a PUG, especially if you are unguilded or have no online friends.

BUT... no way in hell I am voting for WoW. WoW is one of my active games atm, but seriously you are guaranteed a more enjoyable experience poking yourself in the eye than to PUG on there...

Just my two cents... Now, where did I put that fork...

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:23AM MerseyMal said

Of all my MMOing life, Dark Age Of Camelot (not listed) has had my favourite PUGs, though LOTRO is a close second

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:25AM Gloon said

I've played all of these and can honestly say the most mature playerbase and best pickups groups I've encountered were in Vanguard, with EQ2 coming in second.

Anyone who said WoW is either a fanboi or delusional.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:25AM (Unverified) said

No option for THE party game, Final Fantasy XI? What the hell!

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:28AM Skruff said

To me, a sign of a good PUG is one where the participants are
a) having fun,
b) willing to learn, and
c) willing to teach

It's that last one that, to me, defines a game with a good PUG community. I am, by no means, an expert at any MMO game or group strategies, but I'm willing to learn.

Too often, though, I feel like I shouldn't even bother because in games like WoW, you're often berated for not knowing or understanding the latest and greatest tactics to use, or min/maxing your character to the approved specs.

In EQ, as a relatively new MMO player (with only Asheron's Call under my belt at the time), I really felt like the community there was friendly and willing to teach or provide helpful hints. Sure, we might have died a few times or made a few tactical errors that set us back and left us smooshed by a sand giant (or whatever they were called), but the experts were generally friendly and willing to teach, even in PUGs, and everyone was willing to learn. By the time I left, I was a pretty good bard and teaching people how to twist 3 songs at a time (while fighting), and I was an effective cleric or warrior at times, too.

In a close second, I felt a similar camaraderie with players in COH/COX in PUGs when the game first launched. Players were having fun, and my rad/rad defender wasn't immediately dismissed from joining a group because she wasn't a "healer". People were willing to experiment and try new tactics, and they were often willing to learn or teach others how to play in a group.

We all start out as "noobs" at some point. Some people would do well to remember that.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:37AM myr said

Why is WoW here and FFXI not? Sure you may whine and complain when you're in a group that doesn't have perfect synergy in FF, but the game is group based. It wasn't until recently that you could solo past 12-15 at all on most classes. Being required to group weeded out the people that didn't like to pug for the most part, making it a generally acceptable experience. At least better than every other MMO that I've played, which includes about half of that list.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:43AM Firebreak said

That was a hard one as I have really good PUG experiences in every mmo. Ok maybe not WoW but the rest of them were much better. I while I really enjoyed WoW while I was playing I could not handle the PUG it was never a good experience. I can't really imagine WoW getting as many votes as it has, I guess it is the number of people who have never played another mmo/fanboys.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:44AM (Unverified) said

QQ'ers cant handle wow's succes :-)

I voted wow, even tho you meet some dumb shit people, you meet tons of nice ppl. That combined with the best pve aspect ever seen is my vote.

I've played war, DF, GW and wow, Df has the worst possible community.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 4:27PM Jenks said

Surprise! The first post defending WoW's community reads like a 12 year old's text message.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:51AM Wensbane said

My vote would go for FFXI, but since that's not an option, I will have to vote for LOTRO instead.
It's an heavily flawed gamed, sure - especially since the release of the Mines of Moria expansion - but as far as online communities are concerned, that game has one of the best.

PS: Leaving FFXI and EVE out of this poll is just plain ridiculous.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:00AM Muddleglum said

EQ1 all the way. It's the only real choice because every game on the list besides EQ is a solo advancment game.

You might get better groups in every MMO besides WoW but you couldn't play EQ without learning group play. I never had a bad PUG in EQ ever. You run with your guild for raids and might have a little guild click you grouped with but for the most part PUG's were how EQ was played.

Looking at this list it made me think about how it's so funny there are articles here and on other sites about forced grouping sometimes. They get massive threads started, arguments ensue.. and for what? How do people that love to solo so much have anything to argue about? Every MMO besides EQ (and even though it's not on the list FFXI) is for you! You can solo to max in every friggin game on that list, and in every game not on that list for that matter.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:16AM (Unverified) said

Vanguard, a solo advancement game? Haha, you made a funny!

Don't talk shit about games you've never played.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 2:29PM Muddleglum said

I made a funny did I? Really funny.. I soloed a scorc, warrior, and disc to 50 in Vanguard and have lots of alts in the 20's-40's. Oh but I know nothing about Vanguard.

Oh and where exactly was I talking "shit" about any game? Please show me..

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:10AM Cendres said

I voted for LotrO, to me it was the best experience ever in terms of getting a group together and to the quality of players generally. I actually liked grouping in LotrO which is a rare thing for me these days. :(

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:18AM (Unverified) said

I don't see Final Fantasy XI in the list. If you were lucky to get into a Japanese PUG, those were the best.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:34AM (Unverified) said

I voted Age of Conan. Firstly, I'm playing it now after resubbing. Secondly, the HoT healing system makes PUGs rather less painful than the more standard whack-a-mole style. Keep the HoTs ticking and with a tank who's not braindead you should be fine. Never had a particularly nightmarish pickup group, whether for world PvP or dungeons.

Can't say the same for other games, particularly WoW and WAR. Never had a good group in WAR and WoW was the scene of many hellish chain-wiping PUGs for me.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:46AM Merikov said

Whether or not you like the game or not, in my experience with Final Fantasy XI compared to other MMOs I've tried thereafter, it seemed to have the best pick up groups. Now, it was probably because that Was how you played the game. You looked through the pickings, found what you needed and asked strangers to make some sweet sweet exp love. Most of the time, people just knew their place int he group and rarely ever needed feedback from party members. People would stick around with the same group, leader would replace members, lead would change hands occasionaly and things kept on roll'n with barely a whisper (probably more interested in their guild (linkshell) conversations.) Now its not to say there weren't bad experiences (HORRIBLE) with strangers but I almost never leveled up with friends; and usually failed miserably when we tried to only because it was more about accommodation rather then efficiency. Gamers came to be spoiled by constant good teams that they never stood for crap.
Guilds only use was to get the important things done and entertain you ( or constantly annoy you) as you played. As it should be

... Community was great in that game too but it was probably because of 2 things we all agreed upon. #1 LFG Sucks and #2 Japanese Players are Mean. ^_~

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 12:02PM esarphie said

I voted for WoW and here's why: The question asks about quality of pick-up groups...and pick-up groups alone. Frankly, since WoW is so simple and straight-forward, the average pick-up group can run through dungeons and quests with ease, since few people playing don't at least have the rudiments of their class down pat.

Doesn't mean I think the "community" of WoW is the best around, just that of all these games, WoW is the one where I didn't really have to worry about grouping if needed. I just did it, got whatever I needed done, and moved on. If it was something rare, the group-finding tool in WoW happens to be the only one in a game that I've seen used frequently. (You can put yourself up for a group in Conan or City of Heroes for days on end without an invite.)

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 1:44PM (Unverified) said

"Frankly, since WoW is so simple and straight-forward, the average pick-up group can run through dungeons and quests with ease, since few people playing don't at least have the rudiments of their class down pat."

that is the complete opposite of my experience with wow.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 12:13PM Letrange said

What? No FFXI in the list? That was the game with the best PUGs. So much so that when went to WoW after playing FFXI I couldn't PUG in wow due to the horrible quality of players.

EVE not being on the list actualy doesn't bother me. Since the only PUGs there are scams for the most part.