Posted: Aug 11th 2009 5:12PM Tom in VA said

I really think Strain, in particular, knew how to make Guild Wars the great success that it was. I wish him well. I am guessing that whatever game or company he moves onto next is going to prosper, since I think he really has a good sense of what many gamers are looking for: accessible, quality, non-grindy fun. Guild Wars was and still is my favorite online game.

As for the future of Guild Wars 2, this does not seem -- to me -- like a very promising development. :(

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 5:18PM Lateris said

Ah fraking Jesus...this is nto good. I wish guild wars would leave ncsoft.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 5:51PM (Unverified) said

Maybe not all is well in Guild Wars 2 land?

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:33PM bak said

Hope not but it sure seems shaky right now... I'll be very sad.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 11:49PM GaaaaaH said

This makes me sad too

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 5:57PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Someone should start a petition to have GW/GW2 divorce NCSoft. NCS is already putting all their eggs in the Failon basket.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 5:58PM Mr Angry said

Yup I was thinking that, GW2 has always been a bit tentative, so who knows. It's a real shame, as that genre had a very good foundation and is one IP that would benefit for a bit of a reboot!

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:09PM (Unverified) said

I have a gaming magazine from *March 2007* that front-paged Guild Wars 2 development.. yikes has it been that long?

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:23PM Minofan said

The PC Gamer special?! I can see that on my shelf right now!

Yep; it's been both that long and too long... hoping for some good news soon.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:29PM (Unverified) said

The silence from Anet regarding GW2 just become deafening.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:36PM Macabre 13 said

I would be such a sad panda if GW2 fails to see the light of day...

I'm looking forward to that almost more than D3 (yikes!).

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 6:46PM Graill440 said

SPinspinspinsspinspin...."unrelated reasons"...Spinspinspinspinspin......

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 7:59PM arnavdesai said

Jeff Strain was not only instrumental in making Guild Wars he was also instrumental in the 800Tonne Gorilla in the MMO world WoW. I remember when they had finished WoW and he had left Blizzard to start ArenaNet. I remember some of his earlier video interviews when they had initially started showing Guild Wars & even then he had the vision for making a good MMO.
In the interview he had stated some of the technical shortcomings of WoW and how he had hoped to improve them in GW. It was one of those things which lead to dynamic updating in GW in which the client is always downloading new stuff in the background and very very few files are needed in the initial patches. Also, I remember how he had said that by putting most of the AI related files and related code, they could minimize exploitation in the game and also minimize hacking.
I am not sure what this means for GW2 cause he had moved to a higher position in the company(NCSoft) and might not have been involved in the making of GW2 at least on a day to day basis. However, he still worked from the Washington office of Anet and therefore at the very least would have kept a lookout for his original baby. I love GW and think of it as one of the best MMOs ever (although my knowledge is limited) & although I am sure this will affect GW2 in some way, I can only remain hopeful that it does not have too much of a negative impact.
Also, I wish him the best and I know he has the tech chops and experience to make something great wherever he ends up(A new company perhaps?)
Someone, get an interview with this guy & some details on this.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 8:07PM (Unverified) said

Houston we have a problem..... Time for Arenanet to distance themselves from NCSoft.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:02PM cray said

Arenanet needs to divorce NCsoft as soon as possible or they better start divulging information regarding Guild Wars 2. These departures and the utter silence of GW2 is deafening.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 10:55PM Valdur said

GW2 was under the direction of Mike O'Brien while Jeff Strain was the President of NCSoft.The way they put things looks like Strain left NCSoft not ArenaNet.If Wyatt,O'Brien and Strain are still the backbone of ArenaNet then we have nothing to fear even if that news sound like somekind of a whistleblower.

A few more weeks and I guess everything will become clearer.

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 12:25AM Cendres said

Err yah I wouldn't call doom until we have more info. It's sad if Strain left for something else altogether but I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved with Arenanet still... O.o

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 12:37AM Cendres said

Replying to myself :) If you look at the GW wiki Mike O'Brien left a note pretty much saying that Jeff has not been involved in GW2 at all since a year ago, that he is sad to see Jeff go from NCsoft but wishes him well ect....

Sounds like Jeff is going somewhere else entirely and not returning to ArenaNet. This should NOT impact Guild Wars 2 though, it is still being worked on :)

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 12:36AM Valdur said

Posted: Aug 12th 2009 1:38AM Cirocco said

Mike O' Brien's comments work for me! I love me some Guild Wars 2, yum!