Posted: Aug 6th 2009 4:40PM (Unverified) said

Innovation in game mechanics are more necessary than facilitating a new style to the hotbar. Consider how non-mmo RPGs continue to sell with the controller- different game mechanics separate each title. Before you counter my point that single player RPGs do offer great storytelling let me remind you that does not make it a game- such is the reason why World of Warcraft has such great replay value: Differentiating gameplay through new (to the player) classes, and new content.

I compare most of my MMO's that involve a hotbar to Anarchy Online, then SWG, THEN World of Warcraft. Wow's balanced game mechanics will never compare to AO's overpowered classes that counter eachother, balance tipped into the direction of the player with more knowledge of character "twinking" (at all levels, including maximum level) the latter includes pvp and pve.

The reason why most compare MMO's to World of Warcraft is because of Wow Tourism, the idea that they are amongst the seemingly 8 million people who started playing MMO's by hopping on the World of Warcraft train, and what a train it is, that train is even more packed than one in Japan!

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 4:55PM Graill440 said

My reason is more mundane, to keep in touch with real life friends when we seem to be going 10 different directions and the promise of someone screwing up with their mouth and taking the clan to dinner. I dont play MMO's because i need to, i play because i want to. Unlike (yes i am going to stereotype) most here i dont play for huge amounts of time maybe 6 hours a week and thats being generous, i am retired and still have a full plate (not work). Having friends that you have known for years, relaxation takes on a different meaning, not that the random misunderstanding still doesnt happen.

Knowing the folks you interact with online personaly lends for a more robust MMO experience as there are next to no arguments and if there are, well, you know where they live and they know that. I have supped many a feast because of a real life guildmates transgressions in the mouth dept, and when you pay for 9 folks at a Ruths Chris steakhouse you learn to watch your mouth, This i have had to pay a penalty on one time.

I have never liked the anon aspect of MMO's. Having someone behind a monitor feel they have the right to act the fool because of it has never sat well, if i had my way your home address and phone number would be shown on your avatar upon mouse over. The few obvious ramifications non withstanding it would lead to less asshats ingame.

I have tried quite a few betas in the last few months, all garbage, including the newest whizkid, AION. Not playing any MMO's for nearly 10 months (no i am not keeping track) has me looking at anything coming out with alot of scrutiny, is it worth my time, and will it be relaxing or entertaining.

Why do i play MMO's? I dont right now, there isnt anything worth playing now or in the forseeable future, well maybe that star wars thingy.

The better question is why the overwhelming majority of folks do not play MMO's, this question is easily answered but then "they" wont post on your blog.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 8:08PM (Unverified) said

Same reason people use tobacco and marijuana - because they're incredibly addictive and harmful, and don't have any benefit whatsoever.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 6:48PM elocke said

I play it for the same reason I played with action figures in a sandbox when I was a kid. That also includes having special sets(like the star wars garbage compacter set). These would be considered "theme park" ideas that I used in that same Sandbox, or next to it. I liked both. MMORPG's allow this same creativity but with virtual reality instead of plastic figures and real sand. I can also now appreciate story telling a lot more this way as well, as long as my character is part of that story. This is my reason for playing MMORPGs.

Posted: Aug 7th 2009 12:44AM Tristik said

I play because I don't live anywhere near my real-life friends. During the week, I have nothing better to do really. Since I've played for so long, I've developed friendships with people from other states, and even other countries. It's the main reason people stick with games like Everquest and Warcraft for so long, in my opinion. It's not so much that they really still enjoy the game so much as that all the community they know online are still there perhaps.

Posted: Aug 7th 2009 11:34AM (Unverified) said

I think the reason many people play MMO's goes well beyond game mechanics, or even social interaction (though that is an important part). With MMOs, we're introduced to worlds - virtual as they are - that provide something that has long been extinct in the "real world": genuine reward for genuine effort. In MMOs, you work hard at your objective, and earn the reward. Every time. Without exception. Work hard enough, and you'll eventually get what you're after, whether it be a piece of gear or reputation or whatever floats your boat. In the real world, that's not the case. You can work your brains out, and someone is always there to prevent you from fully harvesting the fruits of your labor. You may work harder than someone else, but that someone else may get the promotion due to affirmative action. You work hard to make money to support yourself and your family, but the government reaches into your wallet and takes a sizeable portion of it. MMOs, generally speaking, are just. There are no special exceptions. Nobody in your way. Nobody taking what you've earned without your permission. You can build your character, his/her career, his/her life, through the sheer power of your own will and effort, and not get screwed.

MMOs are a place where your individual effort matters. People want that in their lives. It's just kind of sad that MMOs are the only place the majority of people can find that these days.

Why I Play: ArcheAge