Posted: Aug 8th 2009 7:47AM (Unverified) said

I keep seeing people saying that they played CoH and liked it but they are not sure about CO. In case you were not aware, Cryptic made both games. If you like CoH then you will most likely like CO. I am in the beta and CO feels very much like what I would imagine CoH2 to be. They also made CoV and 10 of the free expansions for CoH. They are the reason that CoH is as good as it is.

Further more, I am not sure how you can compare Cryptic to Flagship. Hellgate London was Flagship's first and only product. Flagship was a new company without much rep other than the fact that a lot of the devs from Blizzard. Cryptic on the other hand has been around for awhile and other than making CoH and CoV they were trusted enough with the huge IP Star Trek.

As far as micro transactions go, get use to it. They are here to stay and you are going to start seeing them in more and more products. Hell if you own a 360 I am sure you are already use to them and the fact is they make money. Companies are out to make money and they are going to look into and use any method they can to do so. The way micro transactions are going to work is actually not that bad.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I am sure 90% of the people who read this will disagree but that's ok...that's life.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 1:23AM Aquaryon said

Perfectly well said. Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth :)

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 8:20AM Waxil said

My problem is you still have to pay the regular box (where by box I also mean digital purchase) price if you take up the lifetime subscription. But what does every (or almost every) mmo box price include? A free month (usually bound to your cd-key). What good is a free month if you're signed up for life? Thus, though it's small in the scheme of $250, shouldn't a lifetime subscription get you a $15 (as an example) rebate on the game? Ideally it should just outright include the game for free, but failing that why not $15 back? Or even the ability to give your free month to a friend as a trial period? Etc.

Posted: Aug 11th 2009 4:47PM (Unverified) said

I started playing LOTRO a couple of months after it's release and it was quite refreshing after playing WOW almost since it's release. I played both WOW and LOTRO going back and forth between the two until January of this year when I got tired of WOW and stopped playing it. I played LOTRO exclusively until May and decide then to go for the Lifetime subscription. I figured LOTRO had all of the things I was looking for in order to convince me to do so: 1) it was an established game with a loyal core fanbase, 2) the company supported the game and added free content and responded to player's suggestions regularly, 3) looked like it had a large area in which to expand and improve and add to the game, and 4) had enough to do so that it didn't become a grind.
Looking back a couple of months down the road getting the lifetime subscription has allowed me to play the game at my own pace and take breaks now and then to try other games (mostly F2P ones) to avoid burnout. I wouldn't get a lifetime subscription if any one of the criteria I mentioned wasn't true so as far as getting one for a game that has yet to launch without trying it for a period of time...it won't happen. It has to be an established game for me to shell out a large chunk of change.

Posted: Aug 8th 2009 11:12AM turtlejet said

Since I actually have something to contribute to this thread I figure I will, if only to get the signal/noise ratio a little higher.

I've been in the beta for a while and have seen the game improve markedly over the last few months. That being said, I've been having a lot of fun playing and considered the lifetime subscription a bargain and jumped at it.

I can totally understand skepticism of the lifetime sub from someone who hasn't been able to play the game yet, which is what makes me think that that pricing plan is really meant to appeal to the beta testers, and as a way to gauge interest from that demographic pre-release.

My only real complaint is that the beards available for characters are not nearly long enough. My wizard is unimpressed.