Posted: Aug 5th 2009 1:27PM ZenJitsu said

I was one of those Hellgate: London Founders who was burned. In one fell swoop, I spent more money on Roper's last failure than on any of his successes combined. This is in addition to getting several friends to purchase the game. Despite that, I agree that he shouldn't be demonized. He might be a good manager and designer, but he's a poor businessman and unfortunately a good (and occasionally overenthusiastic) pitch man. That combination is where the trust in any product he's hawking fails.

It's unfortunate, but I'm sure you can understand why thousands of ex-Hellgate players will have some animosity when he's pimping his new game just as zealously as his last. Developers, as in Hollywood, tend to be as good as their last game in the collective memory.

Now, back on topic. As far as lifetime membership goes, Turbine's LotRO has a much more popular and historic IP behind it than CO, and has more potential of longevity. Being wary here is appropriate if only because in two weeks of beta, you'll be experiencing the lower level content which will be the most polished. Remember Age of Conan? It's easy to succumb to flights of fancy of *what might be* when you don't have a solid grasp of *what actually is*. They're counting on your exhilaration of "ooh! shiny new!* to invest in them. I'm not talking anyone down from what might be a good long-term investment (especially if you don't play any other MMOs), but checking in for 14.95 every couple of months will still give you the same fresh feeling.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 8:46PM starka1 said

dudemanjac,

then there are those that do not have the balls to reply directly and instead try to hide by responding to another thread. That way they hope they do not have to continue defending themselves because they are less about promoting the game and are more interested in proving themselves right(or righteous).

You know you could actually explain WHY the game is better instead of continuing your one-man crusade.

I agree, you definitely have a problem.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 11:27AM Jesspiper said

Anybody who buys a lifetime sub to game involving Bill Roper is a complete and utter fool. Hellgate: London lifetime subs didn't even get a chance to break even!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 2:23PM dudemanjac said

I hear what you're saying, Zen. But as Fatpanda mentioned earlier, he has worked on a lot of other successful games. I guess I would like to know exactly what killed Hellgate. But I gotta tell you, I played a few days of conan and decided then that it was no good. I played Hellgate beta and decidd I wasn't up for that either. That's right Jess. I can just easily call anyone who went for that a fool, but I'm a grown-up and I don't go around calling strangers names based on their gaming interests.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 8:48PM starka1 said

I'm glad you are acting grown-up and beyond labeling people for their gaming interests.

Sooo, let's talk about your "immature and lazy" comment.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 9:42PM starka1 said

I'll even help you.

1. Look at how Auto Assault turned out. Not a very good game but it lasted at least a year so you will still get your money's worth.
2. Break down the lifetime cost, less than $9 per month for 24 months or essentially buy the 1st year, get every year after free.
3. While we know next to nothing about end-game content, housing or non-combat gameplay we do know the customization is kick-ass, travel powers are visually exciting and fresh and combat is fast and furious.
4. Cryptic has experience in this genre and will include features they could not in their previous game.
5. Its not like they overhyping it like WAR or AoC and promising a WoW-killer so take that as you will. I like companies with realistic expectations.
6. We do get underwater zones and space(not sure on this last one but I thought there was already mention of it)
7. Animated mouths which also implies voices, unlike CoH
8. Missions are not just click this door but can include flying around in a zone to see a bank being robbed.
9. Environmental effects to make zones more alive(as seen in the video with the volcano).
10. You can create your own Nemesis, yet another reason to use the awesome customization.
11. This one I personally liked. For the lifetime sub, you get an additional 8 slots. You can tell Cryptic where to stick it as far as this particular MT and save money at the same time.
12. If I was in beta, I'm sure I could sneak some other positives in.

THAT is how you promote your game, dudemanjac. You are concentrating on the negatives just as much as those you profess as negative. If I was someone that did not know about the game and I saw the comments section I would be saying "ok, what about the game?" and "those are not the type of people I want to play with. Both of them are jerks". If you want to take the high-road, you need to RP it all the way not half-ass it.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 10:33PM dudemanjac said

I'm actually responding to the comments of multiple ppl not just you. Belive or not you're not the only one with an opinion I disagree with. You are hardly important enough to require me to defend myself. In fact I had to go back to find out it was you who I was responding to. Just another stranger on the internet.

My one man crusade as you call it, is not so much to tell you the game is awesome and only chumps don't play it. How would I know that? As I've repeated many times, I'm going to get into the beta that hasn't even started yet. I've also said if the game is good, I will be getting the lifetime. I've also said that I trust Cryptic to give me a good game because I really enjoyed CoX and willingly gave them hundreds of dollars to play something they put together. What I've been doing is trying to point out that one man does not cause a game to make it or break it. Others have pointed out proof that the man has been attached to successful project.

Also, I have asked that ppl not just hit and run a game into the ground and not back it up with anything. There. I've layed it out nice and easy for you.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 1:28AM starka1 said

Good for you. You finally grew a pair and answered directly. That email alert works nicely doesn't it?

Exactly, you have not played the game so you really have no basis in fact in which to argue against others. Not to mention, people were mainly complaining about the lifetime. They did not necessarily say they were not going to play the game. Only a couple actually 'bashed' the game(though each attempt was pretty weak). And point out specifically where you said "if the game is good, you will be getting the lifetime". I did not read that anywhere.

In the history of MMOs, you really think your comments will do anything to sway anyone's opinion especially using your approach? The only entity it benefits is Massively. You have a really high opinion of yourself. You could have taken a different tact such as promoting the positive aspects but you fell into the trap and continued the negative tirade.

Posted: Aug 5th 2009 10:50PM dudemanjac said

Well good for you.

But I was concentrating on the topic of the post not promoting the game. Why should they listen to me when they are on a sight run by ppl who have actually gotten face time with the game? My point was that ppl should not rip on a game they haven't played and if they are going to give reason. You missed that somewhere. No matter how many times I say it you keep missing it. Could be because you are a little confrontational and really want... I don't know what you want. A hug, a date, a handy and a steak? I'm not your guy.

And I who are these ppl are who see comments from two ppl and decide they are not going to play a game? Not sure I want to play with such ppl either. Little to easily swayed by little things.

Call yourself a jerk. I've been perfectly reasonable about this discussion.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 1:34AM starka1 said

And I feel sorry for you.

No you really did not say that. You just came off as a pompous know-it-all and did nothing to back up your position why the lifetime subscription is a good deal. Don't worry, I did a lot of the work for you. I was really hoping you could add to it but now it clear you really do not care about the game only the discussion.

I don't know what you want either. Correct, you are not my guy but somehow you continue responding. If I was so unimportant and continue to miss the point then logically you should stop posting in response to my comments.

Yes, perfectly reasonable. You don't label people that have differing viewpoints. Sooo, should we talk about that "lazy and immature" comment now?

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 10:16AM dudemanjac said

I guess I was hoping after repeating the same statements over and over again you would finally get it, but don't worry. I've just about had enough of you. For one thing while I went back to read my post because I wanted to see why you were so stuck on this "lazy and immature" thing. I found out that I DID give a reason for lifetime. I went in depth about how much money I spent on CoX and WoW. I also talked about how I trusted Cryptic to make another good game.

You didn't do any work for me. Though I will say it was nice work. It's nothing I and anyone else who has been following the game doesn't know already. When I am telling friends about it to convince them to try it, I use a lot of that info. Again, that wasn't my goal. Why do you think you can tell me what my goal was and I'll believe you more than me?

Now,

"My problem is ppl running around spouting off about how bad the game is going to be because one guy is working on the team. I can listen to the opinion of ppl who have actually played. But if you're gonna break NDA, might as well tell ppl why you don't like it instead of a childish, "This game sucks," and then walking off. It's immature and lazy."

What do you see wrong with that? How does it help anyone to say "Game's gonna fail." or "I played it and it stunk." help anyone? It's not a dialog. It's barely an intelligent opinion.

Or was your problem this,

"As is using a line like "Deal with it." in a discussion thinking anyone will be impressed, convinced, or even swayed."

That must have really hurt your feelings that all this time later you are still trying to get me to address it. What? Did it ruin your little toss the mic fantasy? I'll tell you something. Not only did I find it immature and lazy, I also found it stupid, melodramatic, nonconstructive, and something you seem to be throwing around a lot - negative.

It's the kind of thing that probably would have been better received if you had been sparring with someone for a long time or at least with a lot of ppl who disagreed with you. Maybe if a lot of ppl had said "no, two weeks is more than enough time to decide." I think it's enough time for me. I don't recall if alot of ppl agreed with me, not that it matters to me. I try to live my life the way it makes me happy.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 9:35AM dudemanjac said

You think I sit around constantly hitting the e-mail refresh waiting for a reply from you. If it must be said, I would have replied sooner a few times if there hadn't been a lag time recieving the confirm e-mail. So I guess the answer to your question is , no, the email alert doesn't work nicely. Other than that I don't know what you want. Me to hit "reply" to you and not just make another post. You can't figure stuff out for yourself? It's that important too you that you have me indented below you?

I do have a relatively decent opinion of myself. Any right thinking person should think well of themselves.

If a couple of ppl bashed the game, I must have been talking to them, which makes pretty much everything you've said to me a ridiculous waste of time since from the start that's all I've been talking about.

Did I not say that I was going to buy it if it was good? Did you go back and read all my posts...LOL! Oh well. That must have been on a different site. I am discussing this on another thread where there was also another silly person I had to go upside the head of.

I'm not going to repeat myself again because you seem intent on repeating the same silly lies about me being a big meany and promoting the game. You obviously can't read or at least can't comprehend anything I've said.

I don't know why you have such a problem with massively being "benefited." If you have such a problem with this site, why are you here? For the last time, listen up, read close, pay a-flippin-tention. I only said do not bash a game you haven't played and if yoyu have played and don't like it, say why.

If you can't or refuse to get that fact, we really have nothing else to talk about. I'm not dancing around with you anymore. I'm tired of getting my toes stepped on because you spent more time picking out a pretty dress instead of practicing your steps.

Posted: Aug 6th 2009 10:18AM dudemanjac said

Oh I forgot. I didn't label ppl for having a differing opinion. If you weren't trying to pick a fight and trying to be clever by bring up immature and lazy over and over again, you would see that I was referring to ppl who were saying it was bad and not giving specifics as to why?

Posted: Aug 25th 2009 8:00PM (Unverified) said

Well turns out too many ppl signup for lifetime, so cryptic change the deal late at night on the special offer website, it was change to limmited supplies. That same night and following morning many ppl tried to signed up for one, but website had issues, probably because of high volume, now a couple hours later... No more lifetime sub... there is already a 70page+ thread on the official forums, and many ppl like my self will cancel their pre-order if they cannot get a lifetime sub...

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM