Posted: Aug 4th 2009 12:02AM Zantom said

Just got my CO lifetime and no regrets. I just wish I could do that with the other MMOs I play. After about 14 months of game play it is all free. Considering I still play games that came out in 2004, I'm sure I'll make it back and some.

Throw in some in-game perks and STO closed beta, even better. The only way I loose is if the game sucks so bad I don't even want to play it for free, or if the company goes under (which I consider highly unlikely).

See you in game!

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 12:15AM Slayer said

Do you have to buy the game if you purchase the $199 lifetime "preorder"?

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 12:24AM Zantom said

Yes, it is another 50$ on top of that to buy the box. But you can get the life time sub before you get the box. It just adds it to your account. I got my pre-order from Game Stop and haven't received any code yet, but my account page has a place holder for the retail box code once I get it to enter it in (which consequently also shows my closed beta access to STO on my account as well. FYI).

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 1:28AM (Unverified) said

I like the game alot but I would never buy a lifetime sub to a mmo. The 6 months sub is a pretty good deal though!

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 1:56AM (Unverified) said

I fell for this gig once.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 2:34AM (Unverified) said

The saying goes Celestro,

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on uh...can't fool me again!

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 2:48AM (Unverified) said

Hum this says to me that they are not felling their game is strong enough to keep subscribers paying after the game is released. Or they don't feel it can compete with other games all ready out or are coming out in the next year or so.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 3:05AM (Unverified) said

from roper... it's a trap ! :)

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 4:12AM (Unverified) said

I can't justify that much money for a game, anymore. While I've subbed to MMOs in the past for over a year(what you need to do to make a lifetime sub worth it), all of the most recent MMOs I've played have only kept my interest for 1-2 months. The 6 month offer is tempting, but I have a feeling even it would be a waste of money for me.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 4:40AM bacchus2678 said

I am confused why people don't like this idea. And as far as saying you don't get to play it before you buy it... doesn't the open beta start Aug 17? So that gives you two weeks to decided if you want to by the lifetime right?

Or am I missing something.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 5:10AM (Unverified) said

Personally, 2 weeks of open beta doesn't tell me if I'm going to be playing it for the next 12-14 months.

Maybe that's just me.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 9:26AM aurickle said

As an example, WAR and AoC are both games I loved for the first couple months. It wasn't until I got through most of the content and saw how little there was at the end of the road that it became obvious how little staying power the games had.

Two weeks is just enough time to see all the most polished content. It's very hard not to like a game in that timeframe. (Although there have been exceptions.)

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 5:04AM Minofan said

I do like lifetime subs, so yay for another high profile one.
No chance at all I'd take them up on this particular one, but if it keeps the concept current for TOR or just-maybe STO then I'll be pleased.

P.S. What's with the influx of people vehemently claiming everything that can be MTed in CO can be earned?
They've been up front from the very first reveal that it's only the number-crunching gear that'll be earnable, while the services & costumes & action figures will be exclusive to their store.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 8:20AM Macabre 13 said

Regarding your P.S...

I believe that's due to the propaganda-like "reporting" (such a loose term these days, it seems...) that this CO seems to garner... or perhaps pay for. Yeah that's right, I'm lookin' at you, Colin and Kyle! lol

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 5:15AM bacchus2678 said

No but it should give you a good idea to decide if it might be worth it. Most people seem to be making you think that you are not going to get a chance to see the game at all before you buy the lifetime.

And couldn't you just sell your account later and make the money back?

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 7:52AM (Unverified) said

@Bob Denley: I never thought of selling the account with the Lifetime sub. I'm sure a lot of people who didn't start playing until 6 months after the game launch would be interested in such a purchase. I've never personally sold an account before, so I don't know how that works, or whether or not it's "legal" in the eyes of Cryptic or not.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 6:28AM Psychotic Storm said

Well I would like to get the lifetime sub where can I buy the pre order in EU no stores in my country sell CO preorder.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 7:39AM (Unverified) said

Interesting their confidence is so high for this game that they are offering access to their NEXT game just to entice people.

Moot for me. Once Roper got involved, I scratched CO off the list.

And I hope for an up-front stack of money like a Lifetime Sub, the company is giving you stock options or something - lol.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 8:33AM Macabre 13 said

Lifetime subs tell me one thing, and one thing only: lack of confidence in their product.

It is by FAR in a company's long-term interest to keep people paying subs for years to come. Just ask Blizzard, among a host of other MMO's that have achieved long-term success how that's working out for 'em...

It just feels like they're adopting a "smash'n'grab" tactic for money, in case the game flops. While that may just seem shrewd to some, it feels like nothing more than a lack of confidence.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad game for sure, but it certainly isn't inspiring...

The more I read about CO, the more I sense "unfinished."

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 8:49AM Aganazer said

Are you saying that Turbine did a "smash'n'grab" tactic for LotRO because they lacked confidence in their "unfinished" product?

Sorry bud, not following ya here. You're trying to draw a cause and effect where there is none.

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM