Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:38PM Mr Angry said

There's a biiiggg difference here, didn't Turbine allow you to play the game before committing to the lifetime sub.

From what I've heard, I'm not sure Champions Online is going to set the world on fire.

Also what is it with companies, do they want there games tested these days, or just as a way of getting people to pay up front. I used to like the old days, where is was a name out of a hat :(

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:47PM Neurasthenic said

Wow, that's a gigantic leap of faith to pay for a lifetime sub before the game even launches.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:53PM (Unverified) said

ropers up to his old tricks?

No in on their right mind is going to opt for this...

(btw i'm in CO beta, so i know what were all in for...)

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:54PM (Unverified) said

No one in their*

Sorry about the typoes...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:34PM ravenstorm said

I guess that's why the beta forums are full of people already happily taking them up on this offer, huh?

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:54PM MtthwRddl said

• 1 heart
I spent $200 for a lifetime membership! ...until DCUO comes out...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 8:57PM Miffy said

Good deal for people who will like the game but after SWG and the NGE I wouldn't ever buy a lifetime sub when they could just screw you over at any point.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:38PM Firebreak said

I think that you would have made your money back if you did that at launch for SWG up to NGE.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:05PM Hambone Hamlet said

SWG and the NGE! Come man let it go, its been years since that happened. And when did SWG ever offer a lifetime sub.

Lifetime subs are only for people who (think they will) love the game and believe in the company that is running it, if do not have both of these do not become a lifer.

I may check out the 6-month deal just for the beta access to Star Trek.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:10PM Miffy said

I never said SWG offered a lifetime sub but making a point the developers can patch something in that you hate and then you're screwed.

Why should I let the whole SWG thing go? It was the only mmo I liked and there hasn't been anything good before or since.

Screw SOE for taking away the one MMO I liked.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:17PM BIZKeT said

Considering that it is being published by Atari and created by Cryptic, the lifetime subscription doesn't scare me a lot. Atari / Infogrames has had some really hard times over the past few years but they seem to be making a slow comeback.

Of course, Hellgate was going to be amazing...

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:18PM Hambone Hamlet said

And I thought Mr.Angry was angry. I loved SWG too (see my cool stormtrooper icon) but its just a game.

Still $199 divided by 14.99 is a little over 13, so after 13 months its all free to play .. not a bad deal if I liked the game more.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:38PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
free, except for the microtransactions

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 2:50PM Lateris said

Ok now I am angry. I can't get this wow icon to be over written! Plus cryptic is no SOE> lol

I think it is a good deal for the hardcore fans who will love this game no matter what. It is also a good business move to generate money during the pre release phase.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:27PM (Unverified) said

The other key difference here is that LOTRO's lifetime sub grants you the ability to do anything in game if you put in the effort. Champions Online's lifetime subscribers will still have to use the cash shop for microtransactions if they want the vast set character options that Cryptic brags about.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 2:19AM Rocket Raccoon said

If you were to pay attention you would know that all the items that you will be able to buy can also be earned in game.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 2:29AM Samael said

@ Rocket Raccoon

Funny, you are the one that doesn't seem to be reading. Costume pieces are going to be exclusive to the shop and not be earnable. So please before you ask someone else to read, know the facts yourself.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 7:49AM tristanfey said

@ Skypp

First off, many MT items will be earnable in-game, including may costume pieces with Mission Arcs, Perks and PvP awards. And these are on top of the already insane amount of costume options available at the start of the game, which makes CoX look like most Fantasy MMO options.

Second, your lifetime sub pays for itself in 13-14 months and essentially the rest of your play is free. I played CoX for 3 years paying out a total of $540 when you add up my total monthly fees. Even if I find alot of items in the store I like I doubt I would ever spend the amount I paid for CoX just to play.

Third, I am amazed at how many people are screaming about a sub MMO having MT, when practically every other MMO has the same thing except they bundle it and have you pay for it in an expansion. I would rather pick and choose which new costume pieces I get and leave the rest.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 8:32AM (Unverified) said

@ Tristan

You we're going well until point three mate, the first two are just and worth pointing out, but as for three: You know full well that item shop does NOT compare to for example: server transfer charges, as you must well know, or at least realize this is the point of view of most of the people disturbed by this trend.

Still good going with the first two though and make sense. Interesting to see if they bung in a few items to go with the life subs option though, interesting from a distant observer way anyway.

Posted: Aug 7th 2009 12:58PM Rocket Raccoon said

@ Samael

"I know everyone has questions about microtransactions – what are they, how much are they, etc. I’m sorry we didn’t post something earlier; we’re really heads down in development right now. We’re going to release a WHOLE lot of information in the very near future about not just about microtransactions, but pricing in general. That said, here’s some basic principles about microtransactions to at least answer some of your concerns:

1) Microtransactions enable us to have a larger development team
2) Microtransactions are mostly aesthetic (costume pieces, pets, etc.)
3) If a microtransaction does have any sort of in game effect, then it can be also be earned in game.

I promise we'll read this thread, note any questions, and answer them more in depth soon. Heck, I'll try to answer the easy ones today/tomorrow/this week."

So, I was a little incorrect. I misread that statement and thought that all costume pieces would be available in game. It's just the ones that have an in game effect.

Regardless I won't be playing this game after playing the Beta so it doesn't matter to me anyway.

**SOURCE** http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=23349