Posted: Aug 1st 2009 8:45PM Mr Angry said

This for me is now a problem.

I was going to be a free to player and invest in items, but, given the terrible management of this project, what assurances are there that this game is going to be around for any period of time? Tabula Rasa closed, MXO yesterday, they want me to buy items in their item shop, then they go and pull a stunt like this 4 days before release! Mind blowing.

The reason this was delayed is that their shop system failed terribly on the beta test event on Monday, so they decided to pull it, even for paying players, who have had to wait 9 MONTHS for mod 9 to be release, with multiple delays, they even mentioned the druid class, that was subsequently never released. To date, content addition for this game has been VERY slow, I need to know what they have got planned for DDO before I invest in virtual transactions.

Their poor customer service people are gutted and taking a real bashing on their forums, while the managers hide away, waiting for things to blow over. I like to vent on the internet A LOT, but I feel disgusted that people down the pay scale are having to put up with the verbal abuse they are getting from their existing players. Turbine management, earn your salary and take responsibility, don't hide behind people who try and make things good between you and your customers, you are making their jobs impossible. Who's the guy at the top at Turbine again, where the fuck is he at?

I like DDO, and I'm not sure Massively's spin on things really echos what their existing fan base is saying, the thing is, they already had a LOT of time to get this right, then they let their players down at the eleventh hour.

Terrible management does not bode well for this game, so am puzzled by the tone of the initial piece. Delays are one thing, yes they want to get it right, but 4 days before release, when all the advertising, press and PR was in place, that's not a good thing however you try and be optimistic about things. Also LOTRO players have had to actually wait for resources to be allocated back to their game, BEFORE they have news about their coming content! Get this, LOTRO customers pay for their game, but resources are working on DDO instead?

Turbine you turned things round, you are now undoing your hard work and allowing the new blood on the MMO scene to pick right up where you left off.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 7:43PM JohnD212 said

Its sad cause I was ready to jump on board. Come September...I'll be busy with Aion and a few other upcoming games so DDO might have to wait until later in the year or early next year.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 1:58AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I'm not reading all that.. ^ ^

The free revamp is very close to done. Most of the beta players I've talked to are really having a blast with it (myself included). Turbine just has a few last minute touches to make based on feedback. Right now it's still pretty hard for new players to understand exactly how much of the game is free and how much of it requires the purchase of an adventure pack. I think they're going to try and clear that up a bit.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 1:36AM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
I'm not reading your comment either, so we are equal!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 1:53AM AlamoeJones said

Mr. Angry, I tried reading some of your rant, but I should of just read your name and known what to expect.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 2:22AM Mr Angry said

• 1 heart
The fact that you even tried is tremendously humbling, so many thanks! I didn't realize I had a fan club!!!

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 11:08AM AlamoeJones said

Oh no, believe me, you don't have one. I didn't much agree with anything you said, but I was too lazy to elaborate on my disputes.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 7:37AM JaySpeed said

Better to delay something than release it when it's not ready.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 1:52PM Tizmah said

Duke Nukem would like a word with you.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 4:44PM JaySpeed said

They only delayed it a month. If they delayed it for 5 years, I'd agree with you. =)

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 6:03PM wjowski said

And an ungodly large number of shitty, half-finished, virtually unplayable MMOs released during Duke Nukem Forever's development cycle would like to have a word with *you*, sir.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 8:46AM dudes said

The mouse could have movement built into it as standard, instead of messing about with keys.

Erm, I was told by a friend of a friend in a pub and was drunk so can't remember his name.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 3:58PM foojoo said

I gave up on this game. Even brought my brother in to play for a while, but the late promises, and lack of anything really new has drawn me away to other games. Maybe when they come out with druids/half orcs, etc I'll give it another whirl. Favoured soul was nice, but thrown together with the current mechanics. Basically they slapped a cleric with sorc spells, and mana pool and called it FvS. Played one to 16, nice, but not really impressed. The game needs more.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 5:16PM Tom in VA said

I have been playing the 10-day free trial and have been majorly disappointed with DDO. I am hopeful that DDO:U may be a bit better, but I doubt it will be better enough. I was hoping it would be on a par with Guild Wars, but DDO is not even close.

--The UI is just awful.
--The camera controls are much more limited than what I'm used to in other games
--The character graphics are poor (worse than LotRO, Turbine's other game, certainly).
--The character advancement/item statistics system is just about the most confusing mess I've ever encountered in any game ever (For example, if you are wondering whether that new piece of armor is any good for your character, you better hire a lawyer to sift through the fine print.)

DDO's only saving graces, imo, are the hirelings and the general dungeon design. For those reasons (and those reasons alone) I will give this game another go in September when DDO;U becomes available.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 9:07AM FOI said

The news of the delay actually makes me want to play the beta less. When I had a clear date as to when my beta characters would become useless thanks to the live release it felt like helping out but very soon it'll just be wasting my time.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny