Posted: Aug 1st 2009 2:46PM (Unverified) said

Great piece Tateru. I hope some of SL's new and less experienced users get a chance to see it, they will find it very useful I'm sure.

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 7:25PM (Unverified) said

This is a good explanation of the increasing steps of the tier. But, instead of referring to it as leasing the land, or a license to own the land, I've always thought of the tier payment as property tax. After all, in world, the head of Second Life is known as "Governor Linden".

This may not be the correct way to think of it, but it works for me. :-)

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 8:02PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Great explanation Tateru, and it's nice to see something about an item in SL that will trip up almost every first timer both at buy time and at sell time. Let's hope the rest of the Massively team follow your example and start writing posts with this sort of relevance.

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 11:34PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Please, less second life articles on massively, especially idiotic ones like this.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 11:38AM (Unverified) said

If you don't play/like Second Life, skip past the articles. I employ this tactic with World of Warcraft articles. It's so simple and not at all difficult to do! But wait, there's more! Stop reading/posting now and you're reputation will skyrocket! No more nasty "Negative Nancy" and "Debbie Downer" comments will ever be thrown your way! Don't wait! Subscribe today!

Skip Past Them (TM)

That's Skip Past Them (TM)

Only 2 easy payments of STFU.

Order Now!

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 4:24PM (Unverified) said

"Basic accounts cannot hold any tier, and thus cannot own any Mainland parcels."

I know you 'grazed' on the ability of groups, but to be more specific (because I actually did this(:

Basic account creates an alt basic account (two "basic" accounts).
Create a group, invite the alt.
"Buy land for group"
Done.

*However*: you do not get the "first 512 sq.m." - and thus the amounts shown on the tier schedule should be taken at face value.

I actually did this with a couple of alts and neither was a premium account-holder and neither "donated" any existing capacity - though the purchasing account did have the option automatically turned-on, even though it is not a premium account holder. Now, that one *had been* a premium account-holder, but that was abandoned (cancelled to become basic) several months prior.

So, either it is a fluke (bug) that because one of those accounts was *previously* a premium member it was allowed to work or - it's a lopphole in the system.

With this in mind technically-speaking, even basic accounts can buy land on the Linden mainland. I know the scope of your article (wonderful, as always by the way) is about tier levels, etcetera. But felt the urge to point this out.

Though I don't know if it would work for basic account-holders that were never premium level accounts.

/me winks