Posted: Jul 31st 2009 1:11PM (Unverified) said

Charging money for beta's = FAIL

Sorry, won't do it. And if you are going to be charging for them, stop calling them beta's, and call them what they really are, previews.

Champions Online, CrimeCraft, and all the others, can suck it. Hope they fail.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 2:12PM (Unverified) said

Agreed 100%. I will not pay to test someone's software. Testing is a valuable service that I'm willing to do for free, but I'm not paying for it.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 4:12PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Oh jesus christ. Bring out the godamn wambulence!

No one is forcing anyone to buy into these beta tests. Those who pay get access, and those who don't will not. It is a consumers market. Money needs to be exchanged for goods to be produced. If you don't wish to spend money then you will not get the fruit of the goods. This is especially ringing true in todays tight economy. Gaming has been hit pretty hard and we all know it and feel it. As a result those with virgin tight pockets will not be able to enjoy the fruits of the market, however sparingly these fruits are produced.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 10:30PM (Unverified) said

@easybakeevan And they're expressing their views as consumers, which is their right. They do not feel that paying for a beta is justifiable, so they are not doing it. I don't know of any more effective way to vote with your wallet than to say, "I do not find your product to be worth the investment of my time and money."

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 1:14PM (Unverified) said

Champions Online isn't charging money for open beta, its allowing those that preorder to get in without trying to get one of the however many keys they are giving out. Crimecraft probably has a deal with fileplanet, as do a lot of companies that want their beta to go out selectively. For those that subscriber to fileplanet can get into betas that the site runs ahead of time, usually 2 weeks ahead or so.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 1:31PM (Unverified) said

Open beta but only for Fileplanet subscribers? or we just need a Fileplanet account, regular account?

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 1:33PM Blue Meanie said

You only need a regular account to download the beta from fileplanet but it's only open to users in the US and Canada (might be an idea to include this in the story to save alot of people pissing about)

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 1:36PM BIZKeT said

Whenever I try to download the beta client even while logged into my free FP account, I am prompted to register a new account. I really hate FP.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 2:04PM CCon99 said

I take it that the NDA is lifted from this game then? It's total garbage, definitely try it before you buy it. This game offers nothing a free multiplayer shooter doesn't already offer, in fact you'll get bigger fights with more players in a game like TF2, CoD, or Battlefield since CrimeCraft only allows 8v8 instanced matches.

Kind of lame that the fights are smaller in an MMO then they are for a normal Multiplayer game. But hey, they have a virtual chat room to run around in while waiting for instances to spawn! *sarcasm*

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 2:11PM (Unverified) said

Wow! Really? Phewww, I thought I was loosing a lot by not trying it!
Thanks lol

I was checking about their payment method, lf it will be f2p or p2p and they were kinda not decided yet... but if those things you said are true..if they make it p2p..the game will fail having such opponents as APB, GA, FE...Oh well..

But honestly, 8v8 ? We can get that with Battlefield Heroes for god sake...

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 3:33PM Macabre 13 said

I totally had the impression that this game was just a simple FPS, and the little weasels simply threw in some basic MMO-like features, call it an MMO, and now feel justified slapping a sub fee or RMT on top of the box product.

Sounds like from your description, I wasn't far off.

I hope the gaming community refuses to support such unscrupulous tactics from devs/publishers, or we're going to start seeing a nasty trend (if it hasn't already started... I feel like many recent and upcoming MMO's have done much of the same).

Apparently it seems any game these days qualifies as an "MMO" with associated fees... what ever happened to just "online multiplayer" features?

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 3:26PM (Unverified) said

I am registered free user of Fileplanet as well, and keep getting redirected to set up a paid membership account. Is there an alternate download site, or am I missing something..?

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 3:25PM Aganazer said

For this type of game, Huxley is better in every way imaginable. I hate to see any game fall on its face, but I just can't see anything good coming from Crimecraft.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 5:20PM (Unverified) said

This game is utter garbage. I mean seriously....what were they thinking?

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 5:29PM Floweringmind said

Don't waste your time with this game. I installed it totally sucked. They talked about how you are going to be able to customize the characters. Well all I could customize was a white dude with different color shades. Even as brownie brown he was still whitey. Where are the black dudes, the Asians, the Mexicans. The outfits were horrible too. It was like you walked into JC Penny and Pay Less Shoes to get dressed.

Then I walk out and I have to be a good guy and work for the police force. The worst story line ever.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 6:47PM (Unverified) said

I have already alerted people at the CrimeCraft forums. But for now, it seems, no one can download the client from FilePlanet. They get caught in a loop where it tells you to login. Hope they fix this.

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 9:58AM BIZKeT said

Wow. What a horrible game. It would take a total revamp of the engine to get me even vaguely interested in that piece of crap again. It was like playing Quake 2 on a Commodore Vic 20.

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 11:26AM (Unverified) said

fileplanet free subscribers can get into the beta now, I think the paid subscription was so you could download the client earlier than the rest.

Posted: Aug 1st 2009 12:33PM esarphie said

For a while now, the term "open beta" has been code for "promotional preview." I don't really see having a couple weeks of free play to generate word-of-mouth, and give fussy players a chance to see if they really want to play something as a BAD thing.

In this case, however, thanks goodness open beta is here and the NDA is therefore invalidated. It really is a mediocre shooter, with a rather small lobby pretending to be a game world, and a crafting/advancement system that boggles the mind with its nearly incomprehensible structure.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM