Posted: Jul 30th 2009 3:20PM (Unverified) said

I agree with the sith agent (I'd suspect something like 'infiltrator' myself), but I'm not so sure about the mechanic. What would they do? You mention a few abilities like deploying cover or turrets, but the turrets border on a pet class and the others don't seem like enough to define a whole class. 'Repairs and support' is fine in concept, but what are they repairing? What support would they offer that couldn't be as easily filled by giving a single ability to another class?

My impression of the design direction for SWTOR is that all players should be able to feel like the hero or villain of their story regardless of class. Support classes don't lend themselves to feeling much like a hero, so I don't really expect to see a dedicated support class in this game.

What's my alternative then? Well . . . I don't really know. You could be right, but I suspect it's going to be something a little more inventive.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 3:21PM Pewpdaddy said

• Half a heart
How many of these are you guys going to write? This is like the 3rd or 4th posting on Massively in the last few weeks or so speculating classes for SW:TOR. I'm the most impatient bugger in the world probably, and yet even I am willing to wait.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 3:30PM Bri said

There's way, way too much hype for this game way too early.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 3:30PM Miffy said

I don't get how Smuggler is a Republic thing and bounty Hunter is a empire thing... I to be Freelance and just work for the Highest bidder like how it is in Star Wars. The only Reason Han and boba got involved with them factions was because they were offering them money. I think both factions were pretty crap tbh and I would want to fight for my own cause. So I hope they add a third option of not siding with any of them and that would make PVP interesting aswel cause you have no friends so it would be like FFA for the freelance guy.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 3:34PM Firebreak said

I think you have to look at the iconic figures in the movies for some of there character ideas, not necessarily but that seems to be where they are drawing from so far to the least. I was thinking along the lines of a Diplomat for the Republic and maybe a Navy Officer for the empire.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:51PM (Unverified) said

If I had to say something I would say that one of the Empire classes is a Mandalorian Soldier. And I totaly agreed with the Sith Agent/Assassin. For the Republic class i dont hav any clues.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:01PM Thac0 said

Who cares? The classes might not eve be in the game at release like WAR. Its WAY to early for all this hype and to have a TOR speculation article every few days.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:11PM (Unverified) said

Droid class.

A droid class would be a hoot. It could replace the engineer and would be distinct enough to bring a host of new options to game play. Heck, Star Was was essentially told be R2D2. Just think of all the options!

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 6:41PM (Unverified) said

I want to be a protocol droid, so I can run around acting ambiguously gay. I could debuff the enemy with inane babbling.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:27PM Miffy said

I don't want droids and pets to be locked into one class. I'd prefer them to be crafted like a sub profession like WoW has Eng and Cook etc etc.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:30PM (Unverified) said

I'd prefer pets beyond the Companion Characters be locked to one class. That way, they can be significantly useful without making them "must-have" for everyone to be useful.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:37PM (Unverified) said

One of Sith classes is going to be a mandalorian. They are the heart of their army. I imagine them being melee based.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:53PM RogueJedi86 said

When Bounty Hunters start out, they're being recruited into the Mandalorian Great Hunt. So apparently Mandalorians are being tied into the Bounty Hunter storyline, so it'd be redundant for Mandalorian to be a separate class.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:46PM Miffy said

I dunno I just prefer the SWG Pre CU profession system where professions crafted Droids and stuff that did all different functions. I could just imagine in swtor having that like storage droids and combat droids and ones that made kool effects for entertainers and stuff like that. Droids crafted for Bounty Hunters so they can purchase them to look for players with the player bounty system.

I'd just love the whole sub profession thing that would make people need other players like you did in SWG and it would bring a better sense of community. Because mmorpgs today just don't have that sense anymore and you end up feeling lonely half the time. These are online games so there needs to be better features that brings players together. Though it wouldn't force people together because you could take the professions yourself or just buy them from Auction houses or whatever.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:56PM (Unverified) said

Problem with Mandalorian soldier is... in this timeline the Mandalorians are more or less scattered around the galaxy. Many of those seeking fortunate and glory outside of their clans are mercenaries... or bounty hunters. I think they'll add a droid class to the Republic (to outweight the popularity of Sith and Bounty Hunters). Maybe they'll add an Echani Warrior as well (rivals of the Mandalorians who prefer melee combat and light armor). Empire will probably get an Assassin-type (I don't see Sith Agent as an assassin)

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 4:57PM MtthwRddl said

My hunch is that Jedi/Sith won't be a class, but will be an unlockable for each class, so anyone can become a Jedi/Sith and wield a lightsaber.

It would even the playing field since Jedi/Sith seems like it would be overpowered.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 5:51PM RogueJedi86 said

Jedi/Sith are very common in the TOR era, there's no reason to make them rare or elite or special. Making Jedi the rare gods was one small part of SWG's downfall. You make them too rare, people will stop playing because they won't be able to be one immediately. You make them too powerful, you alienate the people who don't want to play those crazy magic swordsmen. That's a big rule in MMOs: NEVER make one class tiers above all the others in power. It absolutely ruins PvP. "Oh great, we have to stop pvping now, one side brought in a Jedi. Now it'll be unfair for the non-Jedi side."

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 5:02PM (Unverified) said

^^Agreed!^^ I was thinking that's exactly what they are going to do.

Choice: Stay in career and advance to a specialized field of that class or go on to Sith/Jedi.

Seems like a pretty logical and obvious means of diversification.

+1 to Primetime

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 5:20PM Belkar said

I think that we're really only guessing one class at this point. I'll lay good money that 'Jedi' and 'Sith' are broken out to be 'Saber Jedi' and 'Force Jedi' ala KOTOR.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 5:39PM (Unverified) said

I don't think Sith/Jedi are listed because I have a feeling like they won't start out as a certain faction? I envision you starting out as a force sensitive and what you do along the way will push you toward Jedi or Sith, where as these other classes will start out as their respective "class".

As for waiting? Yea I can wait, I just am not going to get that excited about mmo's anymore until I know for a fact they are coming out soon and not going to change drastically the last week in beta ala Warhammer, EQ2 etc. Both games were one thing all beta long, then a couple weeks before launch turned into something different. EQ2 more so then Warhammer, but both went huge changes.

So for me, it doesn't matter what the classes are. I will be going Sith. I never played Jedi in SWG because I didn't want to listen to the anti jedi whiners, and I didn't play one after NGE because my guild needed other classes for instances and I was always jaded because of it. This time I am playing one so the other classes around me really matter little since I plan on keeping with my Sith until I finish him 100% in everything I can.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM