Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:12PM Lethality said

Its a smart move on their part... you can guarantee basically EVERY Mac user playing WoW will try this, which will likely be several hundred thousand users, maybe 200-300k. Maybe up to half a million.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:31PM Firebreak said

I totally agree I have several friends that basically buy any game that comes out on the mac.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 4:02AM (Unverified) said

> The only thing about games on the Mac, they always seem
> to perform slightly worse. Probably because they are ported.

And in many cases nowadays they are not even ported, but the more or less unmodified Windows version is run through a compatibility layer on OS X. Which is exactly what is Cider is doing in this case too.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 9:16AM (Unverified) said

>> The only thing about games on the Mac, they always seem
>> to perform slightly worse. Probably because they are ported.

>And in many cases nowadays they are not even ported, but the more or less >unmodified Windows version is run through a compatibility layer on OS X. Which >is exactly what is Cider is doing in this case too.

Yeah, the good thing with Cider (Wine) are that it is easier to port games with it. The bad thing are that it is not as good as a real port!

Kudos to Blizzard which seem to be the only? company which does real Mac ports still.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 5:50AM (Unverified) said

Hurrah! Better late than never. Always looking for one less reason to have to boot into Windoze, which was one of the reasons I dropper WAR before. Looks like I'll be giving WAR another try.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 6:42AM Crackbone said

@Lethality

Engineered better? It's the same freaking hardware. Just because you put it in a white box, and throw an OS on it that has a closed controlled hardware set doesn't make it better.

When you have less options, its easier to optimize for the options.

Bottom line, the hardware is exactly the same. I would love to see Apple try to give you the functionality and the driver set that Windows has. It can't.

I'm all for people liking what they like, but don't spread a bunch of BS marketing speak.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 10:27AM Lethality said

Sorry chump.

The hardware is not the same... you take a peek inside the Mac Pro and the thought that went into how its designed inside, then show many any, and I mean ANY competing PC product that has even half of the engineering and thought process that went into it. You can't even SEE a wire when you open up the Mac pro.

And that doesn't even account for things like noise reduction, air flow management/cooling, etc.

Mac hardware engineering is heads and shoulders above anything else. And OS X is icing on the cake.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 8:02AM hami83 said

Damn... It only supports Lepord OS, not the older one...I don't have it. :(

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 8:11AM (Unverified) said

@Ihatemorons

Look at the engineering of a Mac Pro (for example) and open your homebuilt PC or some plastic HP/Dell whatever Desktop and then again tell me again that Mac's are not better engineered!

...but you are correct that Mac's are standard Intel PCs which happen to have EFi instead of the 30 year old bios. The difference are again that Mac's are well built comparing to competition.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 10:50AM Firebreak said

My MAC runs windows better then any PC I have ever owned. I don't know about how things are engineered but I do know that my MAC crashes less often in windows and runs more smoothly.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 10:04AM (Unverified) said

The game is shrinking. It was a fun game for awhile but its endgame is a joke; class balance is laughable; and with very few exceptions now, population balance is overwhelmingly one-sided. The game came out with a great concept, but it's WAR, and wars are meant to be won. People don't stick around to be farmed for too long.

So, Mac or no Mac, the game isn't worth it.

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 10:30PM mightfo said

Wow, that's the longest a entry in this blog has gone with another one of these "WAH THIS GAME IS AWFUL" blabberings.

I guess mac vs windows wars are good for something.

I am happy that my best friend can now join me on WAR.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 12:38PM AnthonyHJ said

One step closer to making it run smoothly under Linux?

Posted: Aug 2nd 2009 11:06PM (Unverified) said

Sorry my mistake. The ever shrinking population and consolidation of servers is a product of its pure awesomeness. I was on one server that folded. The second server I was on is on the verge of a merger. So what's with trying to make things personal? You like the game, play it. But, here's a word of warning: September is going to be rough for WAR, and even if the players that leave don't like the new games, most of them aren't coming back. Tell me I'm wrong. Yeah, I didn't think so.

Posted: Aug 3rd 2009 11:07PM (Unverified) said

just tried it out today... it ran terribly on my mac. stick to bootcamp, WAR players.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014