Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:25PM agitatedandroid said

This announcement has me considering firing up my WAR account again. Say whatever you want, it's my opinion that OS X is just a better platform all around. The fewer reasons I have to boot into Windows the happier I am.

(Please note, before the flaming starts, I said it's my opinion that OS X is better. For me. I never said Windows sucks. I never said Microsoft was evil. I only said that, for me, OS X is better.)

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 6:22AM Crsh said

I guess it really depends which GPU manufacturer you're using with OSX, as far as opinions go I'll say that ATI drivers are typically just plain horrible, Nvidia ones fare better.

I'd love to turn my Mac into a gaming machine, but it's not about dealing with fewer available games, it's also sometimes poor hardware support (and Apple sometimes doesn't exactly pick the better GPUs either, even on higher-end machines).

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:40PM (Unverified) said

Either an attempt to save a dying ship or just plain awesomesauce, can't tell which, but I fully support porting stuff over to OS X as stuff just runs better in it. Now if only LOTRO and Aion would do the same.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:53PM (Unverified) said

Woot! Yay for another MMO, however they bring it over.
Here's another vote for Aion as well. LOTRO works pretty well under CrossOver/wine these days.

As does, from things I've seen, FFXI.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:39PM (Unverified) said

Finally! Yeah..one less reason to boot windows!
Indeed Chris, indeed.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:51PM (Unverified) said

I wish they'd had this at release. A friend of mine essentially refuses to play any MMO he can't run natively on a Mac, which means he really only plays WoW. If a Mac client had been available at release I may have been able to wean him off, but at this point it's too little too late.

Alas.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:53PM (Unverified) said

I was so happy when I heard this news, I picked up WAR on launch day and I loved it, but I also had to keep Windows XP on my iMac, which is not bad or anything I love Windows, I just hate dual booting.

Finally, I have no need for Windows on my iMac anymore! If I need it I will just use my wifes laptop.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 7:53PM wiachy said

LULZ

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 8:45PM Firebreak said

Not only have I resubbed but I am downloading the client now.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:21PM (Unverified) said

Mine downloaded earlier, but I don't have a trial key or anything, I have to wait until im paid for one of my tutorials before I can re-instate my account.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 8:05PM Xii said

This has been rumored to be coming for a while now... I think Mythic first made noise about this soon after WAR's release.

Cider is the same tech used for City of Heroes's Mac client... if that means anything to anyone.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 9:32PM wiachy said

• Half a heart
kills me to see games running on a mac, didn't know there were so many Mactards reading this blog. *cries*

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 10:36PM Addfwyn said

Why, how does it hurt you or your system to have it available to more people? The only person that seems to be coming to this from a biased "tard" viewpoint in this thread is you. This is like 360 folks that get upset when a game gets ported to PS3 or something.

That said, always glad to see more options for Mac gaming. I really don't want to install a window partition on my Mac, nevermind having to reboot just to play games. Overall, a great move for Mythic that will give them a spike of users. It'd have been a better idea if they could have done it nearer launch though. They should get on publicizing this asap.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:09PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
for personal use, macs are a waste of money. You can get the same thing with WAY more expansion options with a PC.

having said that, I fully support Macs in the workplace when your work is digital video or photography or graphic design. You pay more, but when something goes wrong with your rig you don't have Adobe telling you it's your hardware or the hardware company telling you it's adobe. Heaven forbid you have additional third-party hardware or software, it becomes a total hassle. yes, you pay more, but problems can be solved faster for that money.

having said THAT, the whole Macs don't crash thing is a myth. I put mine through its paces at work and let me tell you, I can crash the shit out of a mac when i get into a steady flow.

So, the point is that the "tard" viewpoint isn't necessarily biased, there are reasons for people thinking that others who play video games on macs are retarded. Mine would be that they paid WAY too much for something they could have gotten in PC form for much cheaper.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:17PM (Unverified) said

@ Kdolo

Same here, my iMac crashes a lot and I put it through hell and back. Macs dont crash is a huge myth! Also I have only ever had to call Adobe once with a problem :P Premiere kept crashing after an update ha ha ha.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:21PM Lethality said

You know, its not always about price for everyone... some people prefer the quality. And make no mistake, Macs are engineered far better than any competing PC product, let alone a built box.

You get what you pay for.

Anyone that doesn't believe Macs have significant advantages over Windows has a significant shortcoming they are trying to make up for.

Posted: Jul 30th 2009 11:21PM Lethality said

Makes indeed DO NOT crash nearly ever... I've worked with Macs, literally, since 1984. My current desktop Mac hasn't crashed since I've had it, about 2 years.

I will guarantee you a paycheck that you cannot produce a hard Mac crash on demand. And I am dead serious.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 12:24AM Anatidae said

I use both a mac and a PC all the time. I run a company that does motion graphic design. So we worth with the Adobe suite of tools and a lot of Autodesk tools as well on a regular basis. We push both workstations very hard.

They both crash just about as much as the other.

They have almost identical interfaces too. Especially now that we have moved to Windows 7 for our production machines fully. That OS is rock solid even in a release candidate, and we are only running build 7100.

The biggest different for my as a leader of a small graphic artist team is that the PCs are far easier to upgrade. This summer we swapped out the mainboards, ram, and CPUs for i7s with 12gigs of ram each. It ended up being less than $500 for each computer. And now the PCs are rendering way faster than the macs - but as it is much more costly to upgrade the macs, they have to just age longer.

We don't use laptops really. We have a couple for when artists are on a job and they want to go on the road. Those happen to be PC laptops because they are all bought on sale at some point for a fraction of the macs. Although everyone here would admit that having a Mac laptop of any kind is more aesthetically pleasing than pretty much every PC out there (although there are a few nice looks PC laptops to be sure!).

As a company, I don't pay for aesthetics for the computers. I'd rather save that money and buy my artists a better ergonomic chair or something like that which might improve their heath.

The only thing about games on the Mac, they always seem to perform slightly worse. Probably because they are ported.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 4:36AM (Unverified) said

Sorry Kdolo, but stating that Macs are "wastes" of money for personal usage is just biased. Whether you're a fan or not, OS X does offer a different approach to the personal desktop. I'm not stating that it's better or worse than Windows or Linux distro x, but it is different, and some people prefer that difference enough to pony up the extra cash. You can't simply disregard somebody's purchasing choices because you dislike the product, and then attempt to call yourself an unbiased consumer. That's being silly and juvenile. And no, expandability does not equal more universal value. Some people prefer to sacrifice expandability in the name of simplicity when it comes to personal computing. It's called consumer preference.

And why is everyone so concerned with what operating system someone else uses? I'm running a mixture of Leopard, Vista, and Fedora on my current computer, and I can see the strengths and weaknesses of each one. If someone just so happens to enjoy Leopard as their primary desktop, isn't it a good thing that a Warhammer client is being developed so they don't have to boot into a different operating system for each play session? As for Warhammer, I think it's great that they are widening their audience. The game could use an influx of users, regardless of platform, if it intends to weather the storm of new MMOs that are looming over the horizon.

Posted: Jul 31st 2009 7:45AM (Unverified) said

@ Lethality

I can cause a kernel panic easily. There is a glitch I have with a USB Device that causes it to occur when one unplugs the device.

It happens every time I use it and has never been fixed with updates.