Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:28AM Roland44 said

Great subject for an Article!

By far, the best setting/world depicted and created for a MMO translation would be Steven Erikson's Malazan Series.

Oddly enough the author and friend began their research and development of the Melaz world as just that, the foundation for a RPG type game. I need to go back and read the notes again as I'm not sure if they were aiming at a table top game or MMO. edit: (apparently a GURPS type game)

The subsequent books however are the "best" Fantasy series I have ever read, and I have read a lot over the years. And was quite surprised to find a work and an author this late in life that would leap past all my collected past favorites and classics and take the top stop as my "favorite" series/work/author.

He is an amazing writer and has created a fully fleshed out World with full History, People, Races, Mythology. The world would be a perfect setting for a more adult (as in serious) themed darker fantasy mmo. A setting that if done correctly could very well re-vitalize the Fantasy mmo market.

Wow certainly has it's place and I continue to enjoy my casual time there, but I hunger for something with a bit more bite and and not as colorful and Disneyesque as WoW's Azeroth feels to me sometimes. Not that this is a bad or negative, we all (or most) enjoy a trip to Disney...but that certainly doesn't mean a more serious, darker and dangerous world would not be welcome and challenged IMO

So enough of what I think, here's some background...and if you're looking for a new fantasy series to sink your teeth into atm (or later) do give the 1st book "Gardens of the Moon" a try. I don't have the adequate words to express how powerful and moving this series is, it's redefined how I look at fantasy in general and what I know now what heights it can reach.

That said:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is an epic fantasy series written by Canadian author Steven Erikson, published in ten volumes starting with Gardens of the Moon. Eight books are available as of July 2008 and two are forthcoming. It is wide in scope and encompassing the stories of a very large cast of characters. Each book tells a different chapter in the ongoing saga of the world upon which the Malazan Empire is located. For the first five books, each volume is relatively self-contained, in that the primary conflict of each novel is resolved within that novel. However, many underlying characters and events are interwoven throughout the works of the series, binding it together. The second half of the series is much more traditionally structured with events in one novel leading into the next.

The Malazan world was co-created by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont in the early 1980s as a backdrop to their GURPS roleplaying campaign[1]. In 2005 Esslemont began publishing his own series of five novels set in the same world, beginning with Night of Knives. Although Esslemont's books are published under a different series title - Novels of the Malazan Empire - Esslemont and Erikson collaborated on the storyline for the entire fifteen-book project and Esslemont's novels are considered as canonical and integral to the series as Erikson's own.

The Malazan series is often compared both to Glen Cook's Black Company,[2] (to whom the seventh book is dedicated) and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.[3] As of 2006, the series had sold 250,000 copies.

It really would be a fantastic adventure I think

Regards

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 11:54AM Saker said

I agree, the books are so fleshed out with history/mythology they could translate fairly easily. It could be a fantastic adult fantasy MMO.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:27AM Valdur said

Wheel of time
Starship Troopers
Harry Potter

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Wheel of Time would be an awesome MMO... for fans of the books (which I am). For everyone else, it would be "omg another fantasy MMO, seriously?" But the story, factions, races, etc., are all in place. You'd just need a 3D engine, some devs, and a budget.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:39AM AlamoeJones said

I just did a blog yesterday of the idiocy of the Twilight mmo and the complete lack of a Harry Potter Online:

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:40AM (Unverified) said

Bleach.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:45AM (Unverified) said

Fallout please.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:48AM (Unverified) said

Dragon lance - the world,lore and untold stories are all there

Dune - huge world and a relatively untouched ip

Shadowrun - Elves with shotguns what else can you say

baldurs gate - one of the best rpg's ever made

Budokan there is a whell of time mmo in production i read somewhere.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:50AM (Unverified) said

Either The Chronicles of Amber or Elric

Yeah I know I'm carbon dating myself here aren't I?

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 11:34AM cforciea said

I love the Amber novels and all, but you would have to have some major cajones to try to tackle that for an MMO IP. You'd have to procedureally generate everything and give players sliders to "move" from one world to another, except have entities be sticky while you are shifting so that there were no jarring jumps anywhere. I think we might still be a little short on the technology to pull that off.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 12:01PM Saker said

Elric would be a good setting, you could do the whole pvp thing (if so inclined) with the chaos/order warring. Expansions could easily include the multiverse.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:57AM (Unverified) said

Planescape: Torment.

Nuff said.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 9:58AM J Brad Hicks said

Phil Foglio's Girl Genius.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 10:02AM arnavdesai said

Naruto is a no brainer. The comic has such strong RPG elements to it that making it into an MMO game will be really easy.

Firefly also has strong classes although I am not sure it should be an MMO. The central characters are too strong and in an MMO they need to be a bit more general.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 10:03AM Wieland said

Battletech
Shadowrun
The Dark Eye

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 10:05AM (Unverified) said

I want to see Valve do Left4dead mmo or a Dracula mmo. We need more horror mmos and good ones!

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 10:06AM (Unverified) said

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends MMORPG

A Dawn of War massive mega clusterfuck MMMRTCSF

A Warcraft IV MMORPG-RTS add-on. BNet is updated to handle larger multiplayer games(maybe up to 1000 players on at one time? Of course having to rent server capacity), and they demonstrate the technology by making an MMORPGRTS for BNet using the WCIV World Editor. You play as a powerful hero in the world, not some silly startup. You can join different factions and alliances, if allowed by them, as this hero. You can control other forces, and make your own faction of course. The hero plays with an RTS camera, unless they get the FP cameras to work right and still allow you to control your soldiers effectively.

A Supreme Commander MMORTS. If they add more quick-use, as well as comprehensive (menu-oriented?), tools for large and small scale strategies, and tactics, I'd say the pacing of this mega RTS wouldn't be such a hindrance to its accessibility.

Posted: Aug 4th 2009 4:55AM (Unverified) said

Sounds alot like what WoW was originally envisioned as before they changed the....lead dev i think it was.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 10:08AM (Unverified) said

People looking for a a Battletech or Mechwarrior MMO could try looking into www.forceofarms.com.

Posted: Jul 29th 2009 2:53PM (Unverified) said

1. Harry Potter - For Adults and Teens.
2. Fable