Posted: Jul 28th 2009 1:24AM (Unverified) said

No, it's not. Your analogy is terrible and displays a breathtaking lack of creativity and curiosity. A couple posters above actually got it, while everyone else seems to be stuck in a gaming rut.

Posted: Jul 28th 2009 1:30AM (Unverified) said

If I want creativity and breaking out of the 'gaming rut' I go and play a different type of game.

I'm quite happy with trying something different. But that 'different' needs to have something to carry it on its own, not that it's just 'different'.

If a new MMO comes out that is an MMO in its own right, I'll play it, but I'm sick of the two options: 1) We're trying to be just like WoW but slightly different... 2) We're totally different from WoW. Everything they do... we do it differently. Yeah.. cause.. like we're... different...

No, I'm not sick of the holy trinity gameplay. It's fun and always will be fun, just like I'm not sick of the rules for tennis or baseball.

That doesn't mean I'm uncreative and the only game I ever want to play one style of game for the rest of my life.

Anyway, back to your usual leaping to conclusions and frothing about being uncreative. Enjoy.

Posted: Jul 28th 2009 3:32AM (Unverified) said

tired 2 death about 2 things:
levels and classes

classes: holy trinity means that you cant do certain content if you dont have that class available
look at tcos: there you can dodge the mobs attacks and all classes have basic healing abilities. this means pick up any 4 guys and do any content instead of "lf tank" for hours

levels: big level differences means you cant do certain content with your friends. yet i havent seen an mmo go levelless but always i see myselve either leveling to fast or to slow to play with my friends.

both these mechanics force me to play with people not based on how i like them but on the fact if they have the right level/class

my utopia would be that all content is available for all players at any given time (with some restrictions of course you wont kill a dragon alone and you have to find your way thrue the woods bevore you can enter the lost temple...)

Posted: Jul 28th 2009 1:25PM Anatidae said

Trinity play is a small minded aspect of the types of gameplay possible in an MMO. My lord, you think because WoW did it everyone must do it too eh?

If developers are not striving for something better, what is the point?

Posted: Jul 28th 2009 1:44PM (Unverified) said

I actually like the "Holy Trinity" mainly because I only like to heal in games. In every MMO I play I make a cleric/healer/support character, and if I can't then I don't play that MMO. I'm put off by a lot of games where every class is a 'jack-of all-trades" and they assume everyone wants to fight and melee.

What I do like is options when picking a healing class. Having just one option for each role is kind of tired. Give me 5 or 6 options for a healer and I'd be satisfied. I saw some people mention Guild Wars, which doesn't have a ton of options for healing but did something fun with a necromancer/ritualist.

I don't think the solution for people tired of the "Holy Trinity" is to force everyone to do everything. I think games should just let people fill, or not fill, whatever role they really enjoy.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014