Posted: Jul 25th 2009 4:32PM (Unverified) said

I look forward to the day I can read an article about Earthrise without seeing the word "Fallout".

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 4:49PM Pingles said

See if you can find Nesingwary's Expedition!

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 5:50PM (Unverified) said

I live near the Cascade Mountains, sir, and they look NOTHING like that!

(If they did, I'd actually go there more often.)

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 6:42PM DevilSei said

Heh, I wouldn't. Not with those Dreadmoths flying about.
I don't want to die, and come back remembering the babies eating me alive, and then seeing said babies look partially like me.

Yeah, thats one thing that was missed out a little. They can take on a bit of the biology of the host. Sort of like the Zerg.
"Some scientists speculate that it is during this period that the Dreadhmoth larvae actually assimilate beneficial genetic traits from their host species during their gestation period."

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 11:47PM Its Utakata stupid said

This maybe slight off topic...

...but does anyone else think this game reminds you of John Wyndham's: The Chrysalids? Sci-fi/post-apocalyptic with trappings of highly advanced civilizations depending where on the world your at, that is.

Posted: Jul 26th 2009 12:21PM agitatedandroid said

• 1 heart
I beg of you, Massively, stop referring to Fallout 3 as your only touchstone for the phrase "post-apocalyptic". First, Earthrise doesn't appear to look anything like Fallout. For that matter, neither does Fallen Earth. There are few if any similarities in story design, game-play design or world design.

If you insist on believing that your reader's genre-savvy only stretches back 5 years then you will foster a readership made up only of 12 year olds. Do you truly believe we are all so incredibly stupid that we are not able to understand what is meant by the phrase "post-apocalyptic" without referencing a game that only came out in the last few years?

If you must reference other material in order to "educate" the unwashed masses you believe to be your only readership then how about spicing things up with other references.

Here, I'll help.

Go ahead, give it a shot. We will applaud your efforts to increase your genre vocabulary and we won't bitch as much when you repeat yourselves. Constantly erroneously referencing a game that has little to do with the game you're reporting on is a disservice to your readers and the developers who I'm sure are getting tired of this facetious elevator pitch.

Posted: Jul 26th 2009 1:51PM Pingles said

Woah, friend!

"Constantly erroneously referencing a game that has little to do with the game you're reporting on is a disservice to your readers and the developers who I'm sure are getting tired of this facetious elevator pitch."

I get the feeling that most readers, like myself, are not in the least bit bothered by this. It might be a good personal exercise in the future to assume that it is only YOU who are outraged by something. Perhaps then you can explain why without coming across so full of yourself.

Posted: Jul 26th 2009 3:02PM DevilSei said

While I agree that he may be over-reacting, I also have to agree that Fallout isn't the definitive "post apocalyptic" view of the world. Water World, Mad Max, there's plenty of forms of entertainment that fit into the post-apoc genre whose backdrop doesn't include "nuclear explosions ruining the world", if any, thats a rather lazy way of starting a story out.

A way I like how some have described ER, is "Post-post apocalyptic". Post-apocalyptic is humans dealing with the world right after its apocalypse of choice and left to adapt to it. Post-post apocalyptic is humans dealing with themselves, who have already adapted to its world.

Posted: Jul 26th 2009 2:57PM agitatedandroid said

• 1 heart
@Pingles

You're right, I'll warrant I shouldn't speak for everyone.

I'll just speak for me and Celestro and everyone else I see make a comment regarding the quality of reporting we see on Massively.

And, as I've said before, I only bitch because I care. Massively has been largely acting as a press release regurgitation service for some time now. I want it to be better because I think it can be.

Posted: Jul 26th 2009 3:27PM Pingles said

Actually, reading back my own comment I realize I sounded pretty full of myself. My apologies.