Posted: Jul 24th 2009 6:58PM Sam not Spam said

Thank you DCUO for this innovative feature which Cryptic was smart enough to steal instead of sticking with the whole "yeah, well, bricks are like this, martial artists are like that, etc."

Posted: Jul 24th 2009 7:08PM Macabre 13 said

• 1 heart
Pets... awesome... just one more "fluff" thing for them to nickel-and-dime everyone to death with.

OT: I really hope CO is a total flop... I don't want to wish bad things on businesses, as after all, it's usually just business... but if Cryptic's "rape and pillage our customers to poverty" business model is a success, I fear others will quickly follow suit, and that would suck for everyone. Damn shame... I was really excited about this game, too...

Posted: Jul 24th 2009 9:50PM Sam not Spam said

I don't see how "fluff" items is nickel-and-diming, though. The "action figures" aren't essential or needed to play the game, right? If someone wants to spend their money buying "fluff" I don't see the problem. Nor have I personally had any issue with what they've announced thus far for the game itself, and until CO launches, hell, even after it launches, things can still change.

What did I miss? I'm guessing you're referencing *something* but I don't know what, so either I missed the story or you're talking about something that's NDA'd :P

Posted: Jul 24th 2009 8:02PM MtthwRddl said

Awesome picture! The pets don't even have to be able to fight to be cool to me. I just hope they can join me for the victory pose after each battle.

Too bad it's impossible to get into the closed beta. All these interesting pictures and so many of us have to wait to even try the game until a few weeks before it comes out. Whoopie!

Posted: Jul 24th 2009 10:20PM Dblade said

It's odd to be able to buy a humanoid character as a "pet" in a game. I know its an action figure, but its a weird turn of phrase.

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 4:28AM Psychotic Storm said

why do they post all these join for beta now advs since they will not select anyone?

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 5:33AM Anatidae said

Their "join beta" sucks. They put out all these ads, then give away 10,000 keys through some magazine promotion instead of sending keys to the people on the "join" list. Just hang in their IRC channel and meet all sorts of people who have been signed up for over a year without a key.

I am loosing faith a bit in Cryptic with the whole microtransaction thing and the way they are handling their press/beta.

I get the MTs allow for more income, but I also don't believe that the cost of developing and running an MMO is so huge that the 16million a year from each 100k subscribers isn't enough to cover operating expenses and future development. Everyone in the industry knows that MMOs make money hand over fist, otherwise there would not be so many in development.

When a company like BioWare can make a single player game with only box sales, still remain profitable and produce more games... well...

Guess we will see what this new subscription + microtransaction will bring to us.

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 6:29AM Sam not Spam said

Sorry, Brian!, but Cryptic, hell, most developers are nowhere near Bioware's level. Its like comparing a good baseball team against an all star team, hand-picked from the best players of all time, from their prime, who've been playing together for the past five years! Simply not a good or remotely fair comparison :P

Likewise, a boxed single player game has no other ongoing expenses. Once its done, its done, and after they pay off development, marketing, etc., they're all golden. MMO's have constant ongoing costs and overhead (servers, bandwidth, testing, staffing, etc), still have to pay off those expenses from creation, etc., so its a slower process. Likewise, the publisher is going to take their cut also (Atari in this case), and they're going to get that first!

MMO's can be good business. But if they bomb, they can bomb big-time. And don't forget; Cryptic has more than one game in development, too. That has to be funded/paid for too, and they have to pay for the license to boot (Star Trek).

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 2:50PM (Unverified) said

People use terms like "Nickel and Dimed to Death" to make it seem like you will be forced to buy certain items or your character will freeze in time and will not be able to move, progress or grow in any way shape or form.

I love that. It's as though they want you to think that since Free Realms sells a sword in it's cash shop or because Florensia only sells certain ammo in the cash shop that all games with micro-transactions are going to "rape" you.

Such dramatics. Based on nothing, and used as though all gamers somehow will be unable to resist the evil cash-shop monster and will be lobotomized by an evil corporate satellite that orbits the Earth. Get a grip. If you don't want to buy the silly little fluff pets or the XP pots, DON'T. That's exactly how it works in the 300 other cash-shop games around the world.

Beau

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 8:24PM Ninevah said

Ya know, I've avoided those microtransactions in all the games where I've seen it, but I gotta admit that I have bought all the add-on packs for CoH/CoV. I like that they provide optional "fluff" features like costume pieces for one price versus XP bonus potions for "40 diamonds," which you have to buy ahead of time. I think more Western MMOs would do better to put together such add-on packs versus the microtransaction approach. But that's just me....