Posted: Jul 23rd 2009 10:40AM (Unverified) said

People (players) will always want to use (play) your software (game) in ways you can't possibly have foreseen.

Giving them some method of customizing the experience will increase popularity with the original player base (giving them more options) and the "tinkerers"

Nice post o/

Posted: Jul 23rd 2009 11:05AM (Unverified) said

I agree, to an extent.

If you look at your examples (going by info provided, as I’ve only played CoH of the 3 actual MMOs) EVE was the only one that had very few exploitations of the system. It was also the most marginal “player development” allowed.

I just think that in this day and age of “by any means necessary”, providing people with an open canvas can lead to a lot of harmful and detrimental implications. Even in a virtual environment.

In the case of City of Heroes, while there are some incredible, magnificent stories being told, the majority are garbage. And while there are players that are using it as intended or even making amazing use of it that the devs didn’t intend (w/in the parameters of the game) the majority are using it exclusively for “the path of least resistance”. And over the past several months, we’ve seen more and more restrictions placed on it, that players are upset about. Things that either should have been addressed before it was released, or certainly in a much more timely manner then they were.

So, while I think that allowing for creativity is awesome, it still has to be policed pretty hard. Unfortunately, it’s the world we live in. Instead of creating, more people will take advantage, b/c most people AREN’T creative. So, they see what they can get out of it since they have nothing to offer in it’s intended purpose.

While the tool the Paragon Studios provided is unparallel in any other game IMO, it’s implementation was almost oblivious to potential problems, and thus more detrimental to the community as a whole then productive.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2009 7:16PM (Unverified) said

I'm all for player-created content, but there needs to be feedback to keep them from running amuck. If a "mission architect" option existed for WoW, the designers should be charged gold for the items that drop, and paid gold for when a party wipes. That'd let the auction-house millionaires do something useful with their money, without letting everyone create easy farming runs.

Posted: Jul 23rd 2009 8:00PM MewmewGrrl said

My own ideas can't just be made in the current mission systems of the day. They could be put in small versions of games such as Metaplace, but my own skill for programming, drawing, etc, isn't very well. I'm more of an idea person and director :D I have had great ideas for MMOs for years, not specifically a whole new MMO, but certain extra additions that would fit into most MMOs that would be easy to implement and would really add a lot to the diversity of the game and the fun to be had. I don't want to share these ideas, because well, I am worried they would be picked up on me and I'd get no credit. Being that I've thought of some of them for the past 5 years, they aren't really being picked up yet, people just keep doing mostly more of the same, or for their mini games they have you playing cards or simple things that they know. Maybe I will just go ahead and blog about them one day, and hope that someone picks up on them and puts them into their game. I'm really saving them for myself, in case one day I get into the industry. I want to hear "Wow those ideas are genius, I can't believe nobody thought of them before!" Now just to cross my fingers and hope 7 years can go by and nobody else will think of them tee hee :D

Posted: Jul 25th 2009 12:05AM (Unverified) said

A couple examples that you might have emphasized would be the sort of emergent social/political/economic networks in sandbox games like EVE (EVE banks for instance) and the crafting in A Tale in the Desert.

More generally, I think a lot of the appeal that MMOs have is the opportunity to distinguish oneself within the community; and player created content is one avenue to allow for that. The elaborate character creation tools of something like COH or upcoming titles like Champions Online, Star Trek Online (make your own race!) and APB are a way in which players can create wholly unique content the developers could never have dreamed of.

At the same time, players are generally not game developers and do not have the experience or access to the appropriate data to make decisions about game systems as well as the developers themselves. Kept to something of limited scope, player created content can be great and I hope to see more systems to facilitate it in the future.

Posted: Aug 14th 2009 4:55PM (Unverified) said

What a great article, it makes me want to try CoH again.