Posted: Jul 21st 2009 7:41PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, those are stunningly good and interesting news! Respec, damn, then you could be experimenting with your characters how much you want!

DDO has so many possible character builds, that I'm sure many new would be discovered thanks to that and tagged "safe" by community. Ability to redesign you character from the start? Pure win, especially in DDO!
I hope it will be possible to respec via in-game cash too, just it should be very expensive. That would come in line with DDO Store now - you can basically live without it, get almost everything without paying, by why not spending a few bucks to get is somewhat faster?
Player numbers will surely make up for that most players (in my opinion as a beta tester from the start) will pay _less_. Some will pay more, because they're rich enough, but most will pay less. Since Turbine isn't exactly paying for you place on the server, and most old players will remain VIP subbed, it looks almost too well for the game.

Check video reviews of new DDO:U quests, free and paid, from DDOCast.com:

VERY high quality of those. More news on the site: http://www.ddocast.com/

Posted: Jul 22nd 2009 5:56AM (Unverified) said

While the structure of 4th Edition D&D would lend itself well to an MMO, I'd rather not see an overhaul of DDO to put it in line with the new edition of the rules. Instead, they should release a second game for the new rules, to give people the option of playing with the ruleset they like.

Now, a Pathfinder MMO would be freakin' sweet, or one using the d20 BESM ruleset (balanced pointbuy systems ftw!). The later would be particularly interesting in a future-tech setup that could be every bit as customizable as APB is shaping up to be.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2009 7:48AM (Unverified) said

Actually Turbine wants to do it different way. They want to implement some 4e traits, but not core rules.

This may mean races / classes, and certainly 4e Eberron Setting elements - since DDO takes place in Eberron.
I really encourage buying new 4e Eberron Player's Guide and Campaign Setting. People who complain about it, usually don't know how great this universe is. 4e version is pretty well done.
If you want a sneak peak, you can check artwork here ;):

Just be sure to buy it.

Posted: Jul 22nd 2009 6:42AM (Unverified) said

Eberron isn't my style of fantasy, a bit too over-the-top for my personal taste, but DDO is currently the only D&D online game out there (not counting NWN, which is limited, and NWN2, which is buggy and overly graphics-intensive for my system). And still, the 4th Edition rules, while great for an MMO, aren't my speed.

As a long-time RPG player (started with early 2nd Edition AD&D, before Wizards picked it up and started experimenting), I have to say that my taste in roleplaying leans more toward the 3rd Edition style of play. There's a nice mix in playstyles for the classes available, from casters who have X resources to tap, which they must conserve for the larger battles, to fighters who are more interested in tactics and combat than resource management, to purely skill-based and helpful classes like the bard and rogue. In 3rd Edition settings, and in even earlier rules, it's very easy to create literally any kind of character you like. My most memorable character to date was a Forgotten Realms character who was a trader, going from town to town with cartloads of wares, through a careful build of skills and feats. 3rd Edition had plenty of room to do that first part of the genre title, "Roleplaying."

From what I've seen of 4th Edition, the system is entirely based around dungeon crawls. There is more to roleplaying than finding some hole in the ground that eventually leads to Big Monster X and his Pile of Treasure. But that's not what the new ruleset encourages. So, again, 4th Edition. Good for MMOs. Not what I'm looking for in an RPG.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014