Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:20AM (Unverified) said

I usually stick to melee/tank. When i first started wow i played a warrior, then made a enchanc shaman, then a feral druid. respecced my shaman to resto. Then once i started warhammer my main was a black gaurd when they finally came out. And now since warhammer online is starting to drain more and more i started wow again and i have a enchancement shaman, wich will most likely be resto or ele once 80.. i usually stick to melee... but really once i usually hit cap i switch off of melee and into more supportive roles.. like my druid was feral for leveling tank awhile, then i respecced him to resto.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:23AM (Unverified) said

Not just in every MMO, but pretty much every RPG. The Paladin (or appropriate variant) is my default character. It's been my favored class going back to old 1st Edition D&D. It's a character concept I know well, so it's a good basis to see how the class plays in a game.

This is not to say I won't play other classes. Started with the Paladin in WoW, but my Warlock became my favorite character. But starting with one "default" class, I can see how a game compares with others that I've played. Sure, not every game has a Paladin class. But most do have something similar. It's a classic.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 10:08AM (Unverified) said

Mage, I love the sheer power of a mage. They may be squishy but if done right you can obliterate your opponent before they even touch you. Pretty much every MMO out there I start with one. I end up testing out other classes later on, usually after level cap.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:51AM (Unverified) said

Melee, usually in the form of a DPS warrior type, not some cheap-assed rogue type. "Oh, I wear leather so I should do WAY more damage with my tiny daggers than a warrior with a 20 foot length of razor sharp serrated steel because he can wear armor! Oh, and I can sneak, pickpocket, pick locks, vanish and about a million other things, plus my dodge is usually better in most games than his armor, but STILL!"

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:31AM (Unverified) said

Usually I play as many different roles as the game will allow me to have character slots for. I try to get in a melee, ranged, caster, hybrid and maybe a healer class if possible. I do this so that I can learn all the strengths and weaknesses of each class which will hopefully give me a better understanding of pvp, as well as when someone is really on or off their game when grouping or raiding. I feel playing as many classes as possible really allows you to get a fuller understanding of the game mechanics.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:45AM (Unverified) said

I always roll a rogue/thief/ninja type character. I like high damage, high speed melee, and I like that usually that type of character has some way to hide or disappear (good for when the wife wants me to get up and do something or when the baby starts crying).

I think it's best to stick to one type of class, especially if you're like me and are a beta-test/free-to-play junkie. If you roll all different kinds of classes, you may end up not liking a great game in comparison to another due to comparing apples and oranges.

(I also pick rogues because I'm immature and like to say that "rogues do it from behind")

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:51AM LaughingTarget said

I dabble in every class, but my personality always gravitates me toward the aggresive melée fighter or tank.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 8:52AM (Unverified) said

I always start off every MMO making a mage with the thought that I'm going to become a great and powerful wizard and light things up. Unfortunately, my natural instinct is to run in head first and start bashing things. So after dyeing 50 times with the mage I re-roll and make a warrior. *sigh*

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:05AM Jhaer said

I usually try out many of the classes, but the one thing I always play is human. If a game doesn't have a human race, I won't play.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:17AM (Unverified) said

I usually stick to a Warlock/Necromancer type class

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:21AM Crsh said

I tend to start with healing classes in MMOs, which sadly also tends to end up pissing me off; either the healing class holds its own and ends up getting nerfed due to bad players whining, or they're paper-thin and an exercise in frustration. And yet any MMO I touch, I'll go for the healing classes first, call me a masochist I guess.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:25AM Scone said

It's really based on the person. I personally like blowing stuff up in wonderfully awesome ways. So it just happens that mages fall under that and it passes thru to different games. If you happen to really like a character class in one game it is likely that you will choose another class in another game without much thought.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:45AM (Unverified) said

I recently realized that I like to mix things up. In CoH (my first MMO) I had a Blaster. In WoW, after a few false starts I settled into a lock, 2nd main in WoW was a Warrior. In WAR, I started out with a Chosen but ended up having the most fun with a Shaman. Now I'm playing AoC and tried a ToS got bored, rolled a HoX and I am having a blast... When Aion drops I have no idea what class to roll, leaning towards Chanter or Elementalist, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:49AM Psnacky said

I'm an altoholic and like to dabble in a little bit of everything but I always end up gravitating toward a melee healer as my main. AoC's Bear Shaman was probably my favorite class in any game. I also greatly enjoyed playing a Grace spec Warrior Priest in WAR. I'm back to playing WoW now and unfortunately there's no true analogous to that play style (although Paladins are close in theme but not in function) so I settle for hybrids. My main's a Feral/Resto dual spec Druid and I'm actively leveling both Shaman and and Paladin alts.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:49AM Thac0 said

No in fact i have to try every class for the first 10 levels or more before i cant be happy. this leads to burnout before i get out of the starter zone though. Perhaps its because all the classses suck lol

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 9:59AM Snow Leopard said

I have to be able to heal. Not only do I worry about my fellow party members but I can't stand not being able to regenerate my health if my hit points get too low. Overall, I've only played about two mmo's; FFXI and WoW. In FFXI here weren't many hybrid classes when you start out so I went white mage with the hopes of getting the paladin job later. In wow, my two high level characters are a Shaman and Druid. I like how I can be a healer that can still get up in people's faces and hits them with axes and kitty claws.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 10:00AM Oneiromancer said

My first MMO character I really fell in love with was my Beastlord in EQ. When I went over to WoW I chose the Hunter based on the pet, but really enjoyed the ranged nature of the class as well. Eventually my Mage became my main in WoW, so now when I start a new MMO (or roll a new class in an old one) I choose either a ranged damage dealer or a pet class (although the pet has to be a very integral part of the class).

So in EQ2 my main is a Conjuror (pet class and ranged damage), in LOTRO my main is a Hunter (ranged damage), and in Guild Wars my main is an Elementalist (ranged damage). I hear the Loremaster in LOTRO isn't much of a pet class so I haven't tried it yet, but I could have the wrong impression. And I wasn't a fan of the Ranger class in Guild Wars either.

Although the WoW Hunter and EQ2 Conjuror are fun pet classes, nothing in any game so far has fully captured the fun of the EQ Beastlord to me. I know a lot of people thought they were overpowered, but as my only character to make it over level 30 in that game, I had no basis of comparison. I just knew it was a lot of fun, both solo and in a group--and I definitely grouped a lot with that character. I could even tank, if I had a good healer and mostly ranged dps with me. But for some reason I just can't go back to EQ...the more modern games have ruined it for me, even with my favorite class.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 10:08AM Dblade said

I think its pretty sad that we all can play almost exactly the same type of character in every MMO. That said, I tend to play ranged DPS or meelee. FFXI though was could about letting people dabble, in it I capped a tank, a pet soloist, a meelee, and a support.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 10:09AM (Unverified) said

I've played a rogue/thief/smuggler/assassin in every MMO. I just like being a sneaky bastard. I like stalking you until you're vulnerable. Yes, I am that guy.

I also tend to have a necromancer/dark knight/warlock alt just to mix stuff up. I like being able to stack a bunch of DoTs on you and run away laughing. Yes, I am that guy.

Posted: Jul 17th 2009 10:27AM Rafe said

Depends on how gameplay works in a particular MMO. In DAoC, my favourite class was the Minstrel because it was diverse, challenging and fun. In WoW, my favourite was Warrior, but also had a high-level Rogue and Shaman (was really enjoying Shaman, actually). In WAR, I liked both the support and MDPS roles, and had a Marauder as my main and really enjoyed it. In Aion, I plan to have a Gladiator as my main, but also play a Cleric and Assassin. I like to try out different styles of play to get the most from MMOs.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014