Posted: Jul 15th 2009 5:24PM ultimateq said

Well since you were talking about Freemium and use a picture for Battlefield Heroes as a reference. I'd like to correct you.

Battlefield heroes is not freemium, it is absolutely F2P. You can play the entire game, all the weapons, all the maps, all the classes, all the levels without paying. The only things you can buy are superfluous clothes to customize your look.

You buy weapons with "Valor Points", you earn these in the game buy accomplishing objectives, completing missions, or getting lots of kills. With the VP (Valor Points) you can also buy bandages to heal yourself, repair tools to heal your vehicles and you can rent some temporary clothing. The weapons and clothing are all temporary, you can buy them 7-days or 30-days at a time. The bandages and repair tools last until you use them up, you can buy them in 10, 50, 100 packs.

For every 2 levels you gain you get a "Hero Point" which allows you to bump up an existing ability (such as Combat Medicine, Hero's Shield, or Stealth) or purchase new ones (such as Burning bullets, Keg Toss, and Piercing Shot). There are 30 levels in the game, giving you a total of 15 Hero Points to allocate.

I've been playing it extensively, have about 20-25 hours under my belt since it's release/open beta. I consider it a release because they are taking your real money already. I doubt they'll refund the funds, or run off with your money. It will probably be a seamless transition from open beta to release without any type of wipe.

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 5:32PM ultimateq said

Adding onto my post. Freemium is something similar to Wizard101, where you can play as much as you want up to level 10 (I think it's level 10), and only in certain areas. If you want to access the rest of the game, you have to pay. FreeRealms also falls under this category.

Free2Play is well, Free2Play. You can access the entire game and all of the levels without paying. And Battlefield Heroes falls under this category.

On a side note. I'm surprised you haven't reported more on Battlefield Heroes. It may not be massive, in the sense that your on a server with hundreds or thousands of other people, but it is online, and it is a role playing game.

Depending on how I spec my soldier he can be a utility class with Combat Medicine, 6th Sense (which lets you and your nearby teamates see enemies through walls for a short time), and Blasting Strike (which is an AoE knockback, insanely useful if you know how to use it). Or he can be offensive with Burning Bullets which adds a considering amount of damage-over-time to your bullets, and "Grenade Spam", which tosses 3-7 grenades depending on the level of the ability.

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 10:12PM (Unverified) said

BF Heroes while it is free to play, they make it hard now to get enough valor points to be able to buy band aids ( heals), wrenches( repair vehicles), weapon purchases. etc etc . If you want to get all these things, along with such clothing options as crazy clothing etc, you DO have to buy Battlefunds.

So sure you can play for free, be you will be at a disadvantage because you simply cant afford the good band aids, wrenches, etc ( you can BUY skills that allow you to get Valor pionts at a 200% rate, which you need if you wish to have all the best bandages/wrenches)

I have well over 1200 games of BFH under my belt so I know what I am talking about.

The game is fun and well done, but it seriously lacks content. 4 maps is just not nearly enough.

Posted: Jul 16th 2009 1:04AM ultimateq said

Well so far I've not had any problems with it, I've always been able to restock my bandages on my 2 main guys. I don't buy wrenches though, since I never, ever use vehicles, with the exception of jeeps, purely for transportation. I don't buy clothes either, I did once, it was a waste so I won't bother with that again. I have around 300 games under my belt in the past 1.5 weeks.

On my soldier, with max Combat Medicine I don't rely on bandages unless I'm really hurt. On a 2 hour night I'll only use about 6 or 7 bandages.

Yes 4 maps does hurt the game. Hopefully when they "release" the game, they'll add a few extra maps as a surprise.

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 10:30PM (Unverified) said

Items now have the option of being unlimited time buy instead of the 30 to 7 day options. I find the valor points come more then enough to supply all my needs but it is really based on how much time your investing in the game at a given time. Which I admit I put to much in. :)

- Battleseeker
13th top score board BFH

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 10:39PM (Unverified) said

once you hit the levels 20 and above, you really dont have missions left that are easily accomplished AT ALL, so the most you can get is like 7 Valor pionts a game. 1 top bandage cost like 5 vps, so if you use 1 bandage, 1 wrench in the game ( 5 vps), you are now using them faster than you get them. Plus you have to buy weapons and so forth with Valor points.

Dice isnt stupid, if you dont want to be at a disadvantage you have to spend some money.

Sure Soldiers dont need bandaids, but commandoes sure do, and we are made to use them even to stop stupid skills like Burning bullets.

There are no free lunches in life.

Posted: Aug 10th 2009 12:48PM (Unverified) said

Hi.. Your post got me thinking… What is more valuable for a software company (like facebook or flickr). 1,000 paying users or 100,000 non-paying users? What are your thoughts? View my blog post here: http://www.purlem.com/blog/?p=57