Posted: Jul 13th 2009 10:34PM (Unverified) said

"The big difference between Gaikai and YouTube is that it's not in Google's interest to put a copy of that video in every major city,"

That must be some budget they have there...

Posted: Jul 14th 2009 12:13AM engrey said

Servers really do not cost that much to maintain and operate once bought -or rented-.

The cost comes in with the bandwidth they have to pump out, but I agree if setting up camp in every city I do not see how this service will be free.

Paying this service and an MMO almost wants me to just install the game on my computer rather then having to pay for two things.

Posted: Jul 13th 2009 8:34PM (Unverified) said

Google browser OS on the horizon and browser streaming games on the horizon hmm......................I can think of one company who might want this to work out very well...

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 3:45AM (Unverified) said

Not only an issue of latency tbh but quality aswell, honestly, I have a very hard time imagining that they can provide you with any decent resolution and if they can then it'd definitively require a shitoad of bandwidth.

To be fair aswell, I can't really see the point of it.

Posted: Jul 15th 2009 7:15AM (Unverified) said

My sentiments exactly. Using quality as the goal, they'd either need to provide that tremendous bandwidth OR invent a better compression than the MP4 standard can cater for.

However, with compression they'd introduce an additional server-side lag, not to mention a decompression lag client-side that entirely depends on the quality of the PC hardware. But the service was set up with streaming high-end games to low-end PCs, wasn't it?

Sounds like a chicken-and-egg paradox to me ^^

Posted: Jul 14th 2009 4:39AM Kratos said

lol chris I was trhinking the same thing the other day when Google were talking about Chrome OS and the question of gaming came up.

It lead me to believe Google are either going to buy up Gaikai or OnLive or make their own service.

Posted: Jul 14th 2009 8:27AM Xocolatl said

If they can do what they advertise, then I'm on. Putting a server in major hubs would definitely help, but I highly doubt it's going to end up being practical.

Posted: Jul 14th 2009 1:57PM norman106 said

I hope this will work with OSX or even Linux.
Im a gamer that loves OSX for everyday use and hates the fact that I have to boot up XP when wanting to game.

Posted: Jul 14th 2009 3:00PM (Unverified) said

Heh I own two servers myself that could probably host 10 or 20 people streaming off them locally, and im a broke ass IT guy.
Bandwidth is less and less of an issue as most cities are running fiber optics etc. It's totally viable with maybe a type of compression in place for tons of people to play stuff smoothly. I am really looking forward too this! Be nice not to have to buy another 3500 laptop every other year >