Posted: Jul 11th 2009 8:05AM (Unverified) said

Well, unless a buy an MMO retail, which I rarely do these days, always rely on direct download..
.Often it's still a hassle though, for both EVE and WoW, it's far earier to download the client from a third party site than using their download clients! I use steam to download EVE cos their client seems so incredibly slow.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 7:38PM mko said

Really it's other way around for me. I always gate low download rates at Steam.
It's a geographical thing I guess

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 8:54AM SgtBaker said

Been using DD's for a while now.
No need for plastic discs anymore...

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 8:54AM Abriael said

I seriously hate direct download. As such I use it only when I'm forced to (IE, packaged edition not available). It's just an excuse for software developers to give use LESS value for the same price.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 10:10AM Crsh said

It's publishers' decision, not developers.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 10:12AM Abriael said

doesn't really change the point

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 5:44PM (Unverified) said

Sure, if you consider packaging and the physical disc to be of value. I tend to find them to be cumbersome things that take up space on my bookshelf.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 5:48PM Abriael said

They have a cost, and as such they have a value. What you "consider" them is inconsequential. Digital download is just a way for game publisher to give gamers less for the same price, simple as that.

Posted: Jul 13th 2009 8:37PM (Unverified) said

Considering that the customer's perception is what determines whether they buy the game or not - it is completely relevant whether that customer perceives value in physical media and packaging.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 9:19AM BaronJuJu said

Over the past year or so I've pretty much switched to nothing but Direct Download. I get tired of trying to find room for game boxes around my desk and bookshelves.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 9:20AM (Unverified) said

Me personally doesn't matter but I prefer discs for the reason that installation is faster. It cuts downloading 5 gigs of software and instead of waitin 2 to 3 hours to download I just wait for 15 minutes while it installs then wait for 2 to 3 hours while it patches.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 9:26AM (Unverified) said

I'm with an ISP that has a download cap (but no throttling or silly 'fair use' policy), so am careful of doing too many multi-gig downloads in a month. If I have a DVD for a game that isn't ancient, it'll always been my first step for install.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 10:04AM Samael said

Anything for the computer is DD for me, for some reason I have a shoddy track record for keeping my PC CD/DVDs in place, and I can never find them. On the other hand, my console discs are never out of place and everything is in the right box all the time and I take great care of it. The only two games I have on Disc right now are City of Heroes and City of Villains and the original Baldurs Gate.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 10:50AM mko said

Since I get the trial first I get dd. It usually takes more than 3 days however.

Also, due to taxes it is usually about 40% cheaper for me.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 11:00AM JohnD212 said

I always go with the DVD copy. I won't pay the same price for something and get less...just not right.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 11:31AM AlamoeJones said

Thanks, I didn't know you could just download GW if you had already bought it. But, I am without an mmo right now, so that is exactly what I just did!

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 11:59AM elocke said

DVD copy. Always. Saves on hard drive space, easy to install, no download time/caps etc., artwork is appealing on dvd boxes.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 12:17PM (Unverified) said

Personally I try to buy from a site that offers direct download. The last time I pre-ordered an MMO was for WAR and they said they would allow pre-orders to play while everyone waited for the boxes and then 2 days from launch *BAM* they hit everyone with an announcement that they where not going to allow pre-orders to play. That was a pile of %*&$ as far as I was concerned. I went to direct 2 drive and bought the game the day of release, slapped my key in and returned the pre-order.

Ever since that fiasco I've had to re-install WAR on three different computers and every time I was able to go to Direct 2 Drive and D/L the game at a fairly fast transfer rate. I had to just tear my apartment apart looking for the AOC disks after this whole free 14 day comeback deal they have going and man I wish I had the D2D for AOC instead of wreaking my apartment.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 12:17PM (Unverified) said

Direct download whenever possible. Helps keep the room and desk clean, nothing to lose, easy to install on multiple machines, even those away from home, and I find it to be just a bit more environmentally friendly.

Posted: Jul 11th 2009 12:43PM Miffy said

Digital Download if it's a good service like SOE or Steam produces.