Posted: Jul 8th 2009 7:36PM Slayer said

Anyone know how this will work for previous subscribers? Will I be able to play my old characters? Or is this a brand new server?

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 7:42PM (Unverified) said

If you're a current subscriber, the game will be the same. You'll just notice the addition of new content plus the DDO Store.

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 7:51PM (Unverified) said

If you're a former subscriber, you'll have 4 character slots and access to all the free areas in the game. If you had more than 4 characters, you pick the 4 you want to use until you either resubscribe or simply purchase more slots.

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 7:55PM (Unverified) said

I'm going to be there!

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 8:14PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Jul 9th 2009 1:12AM (Unverified) said

So am I correct in saying that it'll be "free" to play the early content, to the extent that I wont need to purchase an account key or anything like that? Or will I still have to "buy" the basic game?

Posted: Jul 9th 2009 5:19AM (Unverified) said

You absolutely won't need to buy _anything_ :). Free download, free account, and plenty of content. No restrictions in leveling (other than needing to find or buy leveling sigil to unlock each 4 levels), no stupid nerfs to make you worse than VIP subbers or anything like that.
Yesterday my friend got leveling sigil out of nowhere in one of quests we did, at this was just the start of his 4th level - so he can already take his time to level up to 8 freely. I have VIP sub (paying old sub with unlocked everything) and he's doing better than me, so you can take my word at not being hindered in any way.

For new DDO, you just register like on some mmo portal, and jump in to play when the client is downloaded. You can even start playing without whole client downloaded - character maker is downloaded first, then tutorial, then small island you're going to start on, etc. So you can play before the game is downloaded.

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 9:43PM JohnD212 said

I'm am definitely going to give this a try....I played for a while and really liked the game. I'm also giving Conan a second look with this 14 day free trial they just sent me...so far I'm liking it better than the first time. Love when I get to look at these games with new eyes....

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 11:25PM Anatidae said

I'll check it out. I always wanted to get over to DDO, but the free play will just be too compelling to pass up. What will be interesting is if it keeps me.

Posted: Jul 9th 2009 6:56AM (Unverified) said

Cheers for that. Might have to check it out then :)

Posted: Jul 9th 2009 8:35PM Mr A said

The last time I played real D&D was AD&D 1st edition. Since then I've been involved in a number of other systems.

I haven't tried DDO out yet, but as I understand it, it pays the most homage to and is the most like a pen-and-paper RPG of all the MMORPGs out there, which is awesome. That's what I've always wanted when it comes to MMORPGs... the experience of playing a traditional RPG, but on a much larger scale. I'll definitely be checking it out.

Posted: Jul 10th 2009 8:30AM pcgneurotic said

I like DDO alot, but I couldn't justify paying for it every month as well as LoTRO, EQ and WoW, so I let it slip. But I'm definitely up for it as an F2P. Genius idea!