Posted: Jul 7th 2009 11:23AM (Unverified) said

What I find more interesting is the statement by Cryptic staff that there will be no collector's or limited edition of the game. This is the first MMOG release I can recall in a long time without any collector's or limited edition releasing alongside the general game release.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 11:56AM (Unverified) said

massive hands

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 11:39AM Anatidae said

• 1 heart
Actually, they revealed the system specs yesterday, not today.

Come on Massively, you need to pick up the ball a bit faster. It only takes a short time to go to all the main MMO's news sites and see what new info might be up online. Then take a couple more minutes to visit your competition to see if they have any special interviews you might want to news about.

Unless you bloggers are reporting the news fast and your editors are the ones approving them too slow. Whatever the reason, Massively often seems to be a bit slow on the uptake.

By the way, you are still missing the rest of the interesting news from yesterday:

Global Agenda closed beta bings July 24th

WoW insider has an article about the future of WoW from Ton Chilton

AND today, we have a few interesting news bits I have run across:

Tobold's website has a good read about Game Design and Business Models at tobolds -dot- blogspot -dot- com.

Oh Tobold is also claiming that WoW is down to 5 million subscribers due to the fact that the Chinese servers have been down for a month and not coming back online anytime soon - with more loss to WoW pride than their wallet.

In other Champions Online news, Pamela Blalock muses over at MMOSITE that Champions might be a FtP game, but also considers that the small discussions on pricing from Cryptic might mean a subscription game with additional "boosts" that you can buy (booster pack?). Not much sources out there to investigate, but I appreciate a blogger who tries to be more of an investigative journalist. It would have been better if she had taken the time to call Cryptic to try and get an interview on the pricing model.

I know these are just blog sites, but come on. Pretend to be a real news site! Do some fact digging! Almost all the developers of these games are now using twitter - and they actually slip and reveal things if you pay attention. I found out that the Logitec G19 keyboard's ship date and the fact that it was exclusive through Dell for the first 30 days in the US markets from a slipped tweet - weeks before they wanted to announce it.

Just saying. You know I like Massively.com, I post here all the time. But I would like to see this site the one everyone checks first because it has all the best and most current news.

Where the hell is the interviews about Jumpgate and the nitty gritty reasons there has been a delay. Get them on the phone and try and figure out a release date. Make a scoop! Don't wait for the news to come to you, find the news before it hits the developer's website!

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 12:36PM (Unverified) said

If you're not happy go make your own website.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Ya, they are often late to the game with news. I find RSS subscription to sites I'm interested keeps me up to date a lot better than here. But sometimes they run interesting articles. Plus where else would you go for all the haters and jerk comments like Dreike.

Oh ya, I guess the entire internet is full of jerk comments.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 7:35PM Scarecrowe said

You make a lot of good points! I'm not sure if they write the reviews any earlier than they are posted (for a reason such as: review by editor for content/clarity). But then again, I'm not sure how many of the reviewers here are actually paid employees. And the site doesn't charge *us* for reading so I'm not as demanding as I would be if it were subscription based.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 6:45PM (Unverified) said

Anyone in the Closed Beta running Champions Online via Boot Camp in a Mac? I'm guessing it runs as any other game?

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 12:03PM jmerriex said

It's way to early to say whether or not a game will support Windows7. A lot of companies got burned hard with Vista when they said they'd support it and had been working on supporting it for months before the launch of Vista only to have Microsoft make major changes to the launch version that made 90% of the programs that had been using the dev kit completely incompatible.

I think this time around you'll see companies wait until AFTER 7 has launch to claim whether or not they'll be supporting Windows 7. I know my company is.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 1:20PM Anatidae said

@Dreike - Nope. I want Massively to be better, no - the best. Voicing a little dissent from time to time isn't to offend the Massively team. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Like I said, I like Massively and I check it a number of times a day. In general, I like a lot of the Weblogs Inc. sites. I only believe that the bigger sites like this one can start to move away from reactive blogging to proactive reporting becoming somewhat more "real" news sites.

Posted: Jul 7th 2009 5:02PM (Unverified) said

Unless they do some massive tweaking before release those system requirements are a joke. Don't get too happy.

Posted: Jul 8th 2009 12:01AM Anatidae said

@Scarecrowe: Someone is getting paid - otherwise I don't think there would be a big Dominio's Pizza banner to the right while I am typing this. Then there is the Verizon ad on the top and the Cryptic ad in the upper left.

Not many ads, but enough to where you know someone gets a check. Weblogs Inc is owned by AOL, which is still owned by Time Warner. There is a LOT of money behind this blog site.

Posted: Jul 9th 2009 7:48AM (Unverified) said

Even if they're absolutely 100% confident that their game will run perfectly on Windows 7, how can they possibly advertise compatibility on the box when the OS isn't released until after the game??