Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 9:51AM mko said

No I personally hate real world or real world relevant festivals in games.
They not only disrupt games' atmosphere but also don't reflect worldwide view.

I mean no offense but I don't care about Christmas related event or say Children's Week (based on Children's Day), Pirates' Day (based on Talk like a pirate day) etc..

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 10:01AM Seth78 said

Good thing you are the only one playing these games then, right?

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 10:04AM mko said

There is always an excuse to complain for me :)

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 10:40AM CCon99 said

I always loved when a company went an extra step to help celebrate the holidays. Sure some fantasy type games the holiday might not fit with the games background, but it's nice to keep in the spirit of things.

My favorite has to be the City of Heroes Christmas/New Years event they have each year. I always loved how people actually hung out in the Ski Chalet dressed in winter clothing.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 9:23PM (Unverified) said

Do all these games World Lore go out of there way to explain why there isn't a children's day? I'd assume regardless of World, there are children?

Maybe a Japan day is out of place in a world that has no Japan, but how far down the specific-line do you go before deciding to cut it out?

Christmas? Why couldn't many of the current MMORPG world's celebrate a day where they give gifts to each other. Maybe it's too contraversial to oust the "savior" and make it simply a day of gift giving so it can fit in the world lore?

Easter? All Easter was, was a the Christians taking the celebration of the goddes Estre(that people gave colored gourds to in her honor), and changed it around a litte to make an amalgam of the two religions.

Or is it simply the players perceptions. Does it destroy the "imaginary" world in their minds by introducing a real world holiday?

I guess personally I love it and want more. My reasoning is out of loneliness rather than anything else. I don't get to celebrate in real life due to work or distance from family and friends. So it's really nice to be able to celebrate it in-game, for me.