Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 3:28PM (Unverified) said

Armour - lovely. Jetpacks - nice. Environments - very nice indeed.

Sounds - rubbish. Animation - arse. Gameplay - circle strafe.

So... overall... meh.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 3:35PM Aganazer said

Sweet! They added deathmatch to Hellgate: London.

Kidding of course, but the PvE looked a bit like the corridor type gameplay of HGL.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 3:40PM (Unverified) said

To be fair though their focus is on PvP. It seems like the PvE will just be something people occasionally do to mess around together.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 3:59PM (Unverified) said

This looks great, however sounds terrible. All the pew pew repeating made my ears bleed.

I wonder if we will get that cutscene each time we create a character. It would get old the second time we see it.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 4:07PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I smell the failsauce that is Tabula Rasa.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 4:31PM (Unverified) said

Honestly I have high hopes for this game. Yes it seems to borrow certain mechanics from both Tabula Rasa and Hellgate London. Since I liked certain things about both games though, I'm hoping the blend works here with something new, to make it stand out above those games.

Global Agenda has some great potential, but we'll have to see how things go during the beta phase and launch before we know if it'll really hold its own out there in MMO land. :)

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 5:07PM (Unverified) said

It's unfortunate there's no open-world. I'm really looking forward to a PlanetSide made better. Instanced shooters are a dime a dozen.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 6:24PM Psychotic Storm said

Tabula Rasa was quite good ok, NC politics killed it.

Now GA, almost everything looks good the medics gun sounds awful. but if I have a comment, it is this it is Sci Fi and characters have GUNS why oh why on earth so much melee?

Overall I am quite exited about this game though.

Posted: Jul 2nd 2009 9:43PM (Unverified) said

Note that the straight boring corridors in the co-op video are because it's a starting mission - they're more for training purposes that bad level design.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 12:12AM Cicadymn said

PvE seemed boring, PvP seemed clusterfuck. Neither video wowed me. I'm pretty unhappy with what I've seen. Don't tell me they aren't going to have a first person mode where you see your weapon. If first person ends up just seeing level with your character and the bullets leaving then they've lost a customer. Third person is fine, but if you're going to build a game around shooter combat I want some first person. Let the player decide if they want 1st or 3rd. Maybe they did that just so it would be easier to see what was going on, but I think that was a mistake.

And as everybody else mentioned, sound is just terrible, the animations are real stiff and lack luster. I was surprised seeing that character pull himself up. That was cool to see that they thought of putting that in. But the animation needs to be smoothed out considerably.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 5:13AM Psychotic Storm said

how exactly you balance 1st vs 3rd person?

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 3:14PM NeoDodge said

"it is this : it is Sci Fi and characters have GUNS why oh why on earth so much melee?"

This is SCI-FI, you said yourself. in FIction, nothing guarantees that Gun > Big Frigging Lightning Axe of Doom. I could find many ways to justify this kind of thing : Ballistic shields that stop bullets but dont stop blades (sound familiar ?), "lightsaber effect" (almost nothing stops these bastards and it does some awful damage, with the added effect of reflecting energy when correctly used), sword+shield less cumbersome than gun+shield (try stopping to take aim vs charging, ramming into the enemy and stabbing him while he's down)...

Posted: Jul 4th 2009 5:02AM Psychotic Storm said

While indeed today's personal ballistic protection does not protect well against melee the trend on sci fi in comparison to space operas is that ballistic weaponry is always preferable to melee weapons.

Starwars, 40k and other futuristic settings were melee is taking a major part of combat are space operas, I cannot say I like these settings.

At present weapon designs allow the user to fire while moving or running and can produce a good volume of fire, so why should he have to rely on melee, as is expected, it modern combatants do not, if at future the ballistic protection changed to the degree that going melee to kill the opponent was preferable, ballistic weapons would not be available.

anyway, I would really prefer to see in this game melee weapons as situational and not as often used as in the first video.

Posted: Jul 3rd 2009 8:02PM (Unverified) said

Without more context, and having some hands on time with the game, I don't think one can judge much from these videos. I'm still cautiously optimistic that this will be a more fleshed out Tribes-like experience.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014